Need help for macro setup

Ket Gui

Feb 29, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi im new to macro photography, and i read online that one of the cheaper but efficient is 'lens stacking'
Hence i would like to connect my 2 kit lens 55-200 with 18-55 with a coupling ring, but i have no idea where i can get them. Does anyone know?

Hi im new to macro photography, and i read online that one of the cheaper but efficient is 'lens stacking'
Hence i would like to connect my 2 kit lens 55-200 with 18-55 with a coupling ring, but i have no idea where i can get them. Does anyone know?

Its possible to use only one 18-55 for macro. For the reverse ring, you can buy here:

Tago Tech I-Store

They have the male to male coupler also

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I think telephoto lens works, though IQ wont be as good as prime (maybe i shd get a 50mm prime to reverse it since they are kinda cheap)

Unfortunately both of the lens is 55mm, Tago store doesnt have 55mm-55mm adaptor ...

Ket Gui said:

I think telephoto lens works, though IQ wont be as good as prime (maybe i shd get a 50mm prime to reverse it since they are kinda cheap)

Unfortunately both of the lens is 55mm, Tago store doesnt have 55mm-55mm adaptor ...

You can just use the reverse ring with the 18-55.

When using the reverse ring adapter on a zoom (18-55) or a prime (50 f1.8), you will
- lose the Auto Focus functionality (may not be that important in Macro, since most of the time, you will likely be using Manual Focusing).
- lose the functionality to shoot at a desired aperture If your lens does not have manual aperture selection ring (in short, most non manual lenses). When you lose the aperture control, you will be shooting wide open. So, if you are using 18-55 at 55mm for the reverse macro, you will be shooting at f5.6, similarly for 50 f1.8, you will be shooting at f1.8. There are some workaround to get the desired aperture despite losing aperture selection, but it's not exactly convenient. It 's about using the DOF preview button.

A reverse 50mm can have pretty good results, a few shot I took when I just started out in macro using a reverse 50mm

5478955394_b87c816fae_z.jpg

5478174269_1cc42b4999_z.jpg

For beginner, using a diopter (like raynox 250) is much easier than reverse lens because of the lost of control of the aperture for reverse lens. If left the lens wide open, DOF will be to thin. If manually stopped down, VF will be dim and hence hard to manual focus.

I assume you have the 600D KIT1 with 18-22 and the 55-250.
As a beginner myself, I would suggest you go for a simpler setup which you can still stick to your current lens setup. Once you think you are ready to move up the ladder, then would you consider getting dedicated prime/macro lenses.
My suggestion is to get yourself a set of cheap extension tubes (non-AF/IS version) that retails for around $20. Extension tubes forces your lens to focus further than it's designed for. Hence, you should be able to get some macro capabilities. Do take note that the non-AF/IS extension tubes render your AF completely useless so manual focusing is a must. You will also lose between 1-3 F stops.
The second option as suggested by GRbenji is to get a Raynox DCR-250 ($129). It is a clip-on macro lens adapter that is able to let you focus much closer to the object, allowing your to take macro. Do note that the DOF is extremely shallow and manual focusing is a definite must. I havbe also learnt that with macro setup, lighting is extremly important. If you intend to use the popup flash, go get a diffuser($8). Or go buy a dedicated Macro ringflash ($60).

Thanks for all the advice, im using sony A55 with the 18-55 to 55-200. was looking online for the extension tube when i saw someone selling raynox 250 on the buy/sell 100 bucks, so....

Currently very amaze with what macro can do, although very hard to focus (not sure its normal or lens). My test shot today straight away after i brought the lens :D

4grxns.jpg

(abit out of focus but im happy enuff)

Looking forward to next newbie macro outing to get advice and tips :D

Thanks for all the advice, im using sony A55 with the 18-55 to 55-200. was looking online for the extension tube when i saw someone selling raynox 250 on the buy/sell 100 bucks, so....

Currently very amaze with what macro can do, although very hard to focus (not sure its normal or lens). My test shot today straight away after i brought the lens :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/4grxns.jpg[IMG]

Looking forward to next newbie macro outing to get advice and tips :D[/QUOTE]

Raynox will need some time to get used to. After a few macro shoots, you should get it liao.

1 common way to use the raynox is to move your body instead of turning the focusing ring to focus. Move your body to and fro.

Another way is to just spam shots. Shot 20, there will be at least 1 that hits lol.

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/408134_10150642482155761_530290760_11390882_5113295_n.jpg

Shot with my Raynox 250 and 18-55 kit lens, long ago lol.

Last edited:
Ket Gui said:

Looking forward to next newbie macro outing to get advice and tips :D

Good choice. What you need now is just practice.