Need Help For 70-300mm Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-`FerRo

Oct 28, 2004
www.gferro.com
Hi, I'am currently using a CANON EOS 300X (EOS REBEL T2) with the Canon EF 28-90mm f4-5.6 III Lens. I am now thinking of getting a new lens for it, which is in the range of 70-300mm. My budget is very limited, and what i have in mind now are:

a. SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL MACRO SUPER
b. SIGMA APO MACRO SUPER 70-300mm F4-5.6
c. TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro
d. TAMRON AF75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro

the above options are due to the canon 70-300mm doesn't have a macro function, and they are also within my budget, (but if any of u have other recommendations, by all means, please do ) ;)

Hence I need your opinion in which one to get, please don't tell me to get the Canon L lens as i could not afford to have it ( thou i'd love to have it) ;) . So any recommendation for any one of the above lens is highly appreciated.

Thank u in advance.

G-`FerRo said:
Hi, I'am currently using a CANON EOS 300X (EOS REBEL T2) with the Canon EF 28-90mm f4-5.6 III Lens. I am now thinking of getting a new lens for it, which is in the range of 70-300mm. My budget is very limited, and what i have in mind now are:

a. SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL MACRO SUPER
b. SIGMA APO MACRO SUPER 70-300mm F4-5.6
c. TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro
d. TAMRON AF75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro

I am Nikon user, bought (c) Tamron AF70-300 nearly two years ago, at SARS price, ie big discount. So I was very happy with my purchase.

But having used it, I found it was not all that great. Someone told me the Sigma APO is better, but I don't know.

What I did in the end was buy a used Nikkor 75-300. The price I paid was just a little more than a new Tamron without the “SARS discount”. And I sold off the Tamron, so the overall expenditure was not too great.
Still, I would have spent less if I bought the used Nikkor originally.

It is a glass lens, not plastic, and the images turn out much better.
Because it is glass, it is also much heavier.
But once out of the camera bag, ie when actually shooting a pix, it is better because more steady. I get a lot less camera shake when take at full 300mm on slow shutter speeds, sometimes when I lucky even 1/60 seconds came out ok.

If you already have your heart set on an original Canon Lens, I suggest you look for a used piece. Or live with your existing lens first and save up.

But also depends on your photo preferences. How important is long telephoto zoom to you?

To me, it is very important, because almost all my pixs are taken close view. I have a 24mm wide angle, in 20 years maybe use less than 20 times! Some other people like wide angle, however.

Think about your personal style and preferences, rather than just buy another lens for the sake of having the “entire” focal length covered.

Another point to consider... having previously used a 80-200mm, I thought the 300 would bring me a lot closer to the subject. But one day I set my lens at 200 then zoom to 300, actually very little difference.

Do you really need a 300? Do you really need a zoom? If you always set your zoom to maximum anyway, you may want to consider fixed telephoto instead. Don't limit your options.

Also, think about what you really want. No point buy cheap lens and keep thinking of the expensive one. Your heart will not be at rest. And your backside will always be itchy!

Maybe if cut down on a few expensive dinners or whatever else, can afford the better lens already.

Thanks for the answer and the recommendations.

I wanted to get the 70-300mm Canon Lens, but from most of the reviews, i learnt that, with that price the Sigma/Tamron is better than the Canon, and furthermore, the Sigma/Tamron has the added Macro function, where as the Canon has none.

Some of the reasons why i wanna get the Telephoto zoom are, most of the time, when i am out shooting at a function e.g. wedding or street parades etc, most of the situations I can't go very near to the subjects due to various reasons e.g. restrictions or even the subjects are quite far, but I just don't want to stick to 300mm the whole time, hence i need the telephoto zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.