Need help firmwareupdate for K100D 1.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny. If you follow the instructions, should be able to update the firmware successfully. You copy the kc_e102w.EXE or the extracted FWDC156B.BIN file to your card? You might want to format your SD card, copy only the FWDC156B.BIN file to the card and try again.:)

I did exactly what u mentioned .. it didn't work on my new 8gb card scandiscs class6 speed. but it works on my lousy freegrift SD card from many years back of my compact cam 512 mb card.

Fengwei adviced me to test on a different card and it works ...

Thanks

I did exactly what u mentioned .. it didn't work on my new 8gb card scandiscs class6 speed. but it works on my lousy freegrift SD card from many years back of my compact cam 512 mb card.

Fengwei adviced me to test on a different card and it works ...

Thanks

IIRC the K100D does not support SDHC (your 8GB card). Only the K100D Super and above support it.

but now my K100D it support 8gb HC like any other cards, I test it after updated to version 1.20 like magic ...i think Pentax mean K100D cannot support during update, but can support after update and u don't really need a HC SD to updates ...i found out today ...

With Pentax, things can be like a box of chocolates u never know what u gonna get... , I have always been surprise entertain EVERY NOW AND THEN by my ROOKIE k1OOD.

but now my K100D it support 8gb HC like any other cards, I test it after updated to version 1.20 like magic ...i think Pentax mean K100D cannot support during update, but can support after update and u don't really need a HC SD to updates ...i found out today ...

With Pentax, things can be like a box of chocolates u never know what u gonna get... , I have always been surprise entertain EVERY NOW AND THEN by my ROOKIE k1OOD.

I think you need to read the firmware notes.... Taken from http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/20060808e.html:

Changes to V1.02
Addition of compatible SDHC Memory card

Changes to V1.01
Support for SDHC Memory cards.
* The focal length which is input on the [Shake Reduction] menu can be displayed with Pentax Photo Browser3.

V1.00 has no support for SDHC, so what you were trying to do was install the support for SDHC... using SDHC!

Anyway, it's not wise to upgrade firmware (or software, be it for cameras or any other electronics) blindly, occasionally there may be changes that you may actually dislike. How can you feel safe installing something without knowing what it's supposed to do???

When u say I upgrade blindly w/o knowing what to do..., perhaps u notice something that I overlooked ...maybe I missed ver 1.01. and go straight to 1.02.

Maybe you are more structurally and carefull take no risk person. knowledge b4 action..
but I am a risk taker and impatient breed.

I notice that that there are upgrade for K100D. The latest was Version 1.2

1. I check that my version was 1.00
since the web say u need to insert at least 8 GB HC to do the upgrade.

2.follow full instruction ...but my version was version 1.oo, so I bought a 8 gb card (because I was the key wedding photographer the day before the Pentax meetup...I afraid I may run out of SD memory for full-day .... (I do not know, if I do thing blindly upgrade software..I bought a class6 8SG HC cards.) skipping the nitty gritting...details ...

3. But following full-instrcution didn't work.... I seek help on this forum...(I need to prepare my equipment for next day wedding shoot that was on the 21 Jun 2008, no response in the earlier minutes of my post I called up FengWei out of urgency, see suggest using a different card ...since I only had one 8gb sd hc card that i just bought and the rest was from 215 mb cards.

4. In fact the instruction given ... is not exacting accurate .. when they say u need to use a min 8gd cards...to do the upgrade ... u can upgrade to version v1.02 t from v.1.00 with a 215mb SD...card.

and when I post Pentax issues, others would also save the problems and learn to solves it from this forum..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nc_chia

I have been with Pentax since the first K100D was out before K10D...

In fact I when to shoot the wedding blindly also, without knowing what to expect ...but it last call from a friend who endorse their trust on u... but I want to take up the challenge with a rookie K100D ...and I have no assistant. If I live in my safe comfort zone, I would never be able to explore new possibilities. Of course ... imagine ... u had to take photos of every tables ...This was my first time. But I think I was crazy...at times. Myabe I am bored.

That is my weakness, and also my strength ...igonrant of my weakness. Called that foolishness or arrogance and I may not be wise in being fully comprehensive of software development and upgrade ...

Thanks for your advice ..I am still learning from many Pentaxian like u who provide suggestions ...everytime I got insight form this forum.

Pre-wedding shoot stress... I can understand, been through that before too. Looking at your photos on Flickr, I think you should have been able to handle the wedding shoot quite well. No worries! :)

Btw, the instructions say to use at least 8MB, not 8GB. ;)

My eyes not big enough to see the different btw 8GB and 8MB ...:bigeyes:

I really wish pentax can improved the low lights performance ...it was a bit of scary..
There are couple of time my flash recycle time couldn't catch up... and focus not in ....light too low,but it was good at the end of the day ...alas things could be better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.