need crtique- food

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider

Mar 12, 2004
Hougang
Hi, my frens asked me to help take some food photos so I need to brush up my rusty photoq skills( or lack of). So I took some fruits using my dusty d70 in commander mode with sb 800 as remote backlighting, using main window light main light source.

pls help comment on composition. technicals etc, thanks

#01:
DSC_9563.jpg

#02:
DSC_9565.jpg

#03:
DSC_9576.jpg

#04:
DSC_9586.jpg

quite bad.
1) if u are shooting the mango, leave the dragonfruit out. if u want them both...put them in both in focus
2) ur plate and table dun look nice.

the last picture...dun make the dragonfruit looks appealing at all.

Hi, my frens asked me to help take some food photos so I need to brush up my rusty photoq skills( or lack of). So I took some fruits using my dusty d70 in commander mode with sb 800 as remote backlighting, using main window light main light source.

pls help comment on composition. technicals etc, thanks

#01:
DSC_9563.jpg

#02:
DSC_9565.jpg

#03:
DSC_9576.jpg

#04:
DSC_9586.jpg

Good attempt. I concur with "wildsoyabean" but I am not so harsh in my comments.

Things to note:
(1) Wipe away the condensation or soften the lighting so that the moisture won't reflect back the light.
(2) Either the mango or dragon fruit is out of focus in your shots.
(3) Colour is a bit dull. Bump up the saturation a bit in your camera.
(4) The cropping is too tight. Add a bit of space all round would be nice provided it is in focus.

Some ideas you might want to consider:
(1) Cut the fruit in half. Take a shot of the cut surface. Show the seeds and fibres. That's what people say: to flesh out the subject.

That's my two cents...

quite bad.
1) if u are shooting the mango, leave the dragonfruit out. if u want them both...put them in both in focus
2) ur plate and table dun look nice.

the last picture...dun make the dragonfruit looks appealing at all.

Hi thanks,

on 1) I was experimenting with effects using low DOF with the 50 mm to highlight the mango .. hmmm , so for food photography it more acceptable for higher DOF?

2) noted.

Good attempt. I concur with "wildsoyabean" but I am not so harsh in my comments.

Things to note:
(1) Wipe away the condensation or soften the lighting so that the moisture won't reflect back the light.
(2) Either the mango or dragon fruit is out of focus in your shots.
(3) Colour is a bit dull. Bump up the saturation a bit in your camera.
(4) The cropping is too tight. Add a bit of space all round would be nice provided it is in focus.

Some ideas you might want to consider:
(1) Cut the fruit in half. Take a shot of the cut surface. Show the seeds and fibres. That's what people say: to flesh out the subject.

That's my two cents...

Thanks, your comments are much appreciated.:thumbsup: I am looking at Low Manna`s blog now and see much areas to be improved..:sweat:

I would contribute ...

Even before going into preparation or styling, composition etc, learn about lighting.

Lou's site is a great start! Also read further and look at how light is used for food shots. :)

It's all about LIGHT! :cool:

I would contribute ...

Even before going into preparation or styling, composition etc, learn about lighting.

Lou's site is a great start! Also read further and look at how light is used for food shots. :)

It's all about LIGHT! :cool:

Hi Guys,

really thanks for all the feedback, so am I going to post my second round. This time using mahjong paper and lace. However, I would really have like a brighter white, but found I could not do it without overexposing the fruits.

So pls keep the comments flowing . Thks!

a:
DSC_9668.jpg

b:
DSC_9698.jpg

c:
DSC_9743.jpg

Hi Guys,

really thanks for all the feedback, so am I going to post my second round. This time using mahjong paper and lace. However, I would really have like a brighter white, but found I could not do it without overexposing the fruits.

So pls keep the comments flowing . Thks!

a:
DSC_9668.jpg

b:
DSC_9698.jpg

c:
DSC_9743.jpg

much much better...than ur previous photo.

but wats the funny white stuff near ur fruits?
tissue paper? or smth? its quite distracting and doesnt help in your composition.

also do note that some parts of your orange is over-exposed. might want to control the lightings more

Experimenting with light tent and side flash, pls comment...
d:
DSC_9771.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.