Need advise on studio strobes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngetzfah

Jul 12, 2007
Pert, WA
Hi all! I,m a newbie in studio photography...I'm planning to buy studio strobes to set up a home studio and I would like to know if what's the difference and the effect of those strobes with lower wattage (eg. 160w) from those with higher wattage (300-600w). What are the advantages & disadvantages between the two sets. Since I'm just beginning, would the lower wattage enough to produce decent studio photos? I also need some recommendations regarding a cheaper strobe brand with acceptable performance and where can i get them. Thanks heaps!

Hi all! I,m a newbie in studio photography...I'm planning to buy studio strobes to set up a home studio and I would like to know if what's the difference and the effect of those strobes with lower wattage (eg. 160w) from those with higher wattage (300-600w). What are the advantages & disadvantages between the two sets. Since I'm just beginning, would the lower wattage enough to produce decent studio photos? I also need some recommendations regarding a cheaper strobe brand with acceptable performance and where can i get them. Thanks heaps!

Simple actually... the amount of power will govern the amount of light you can throw out to the subject.

With a full sized studio, you'd need as much power as you can afford as you may need to place the lights further, use modifiers, etc.

With a small home studio, you may be able to get away with lower powered lights and that it subject to how you are going to use them.

Without a clear idea on how you are going to use these lights and the number you would want to deploy would make it difficult for users to advise you fully.

I guess you are using it for shooting portrait at home, or else you will just using some DIY light set up.

for low wattage flash, will be good for use as background light, since you don't attach softbox on it, or you are shooting small subjects, and need to place the light with softbox very close.

for high wattage flash, after attaching the softbox, it is still enough power to shoot a full length portrait.

anyway, the larger softbox you go, you need higher wattage flash.

hope this help.

thanks for the info...but if I'm using a lower wattage strobe, can I achieve an f22 reading on the light meter in front of the model with a softbox attached on strobe? or will it depend on how big the softbox is and the distance of the strobe from the model? I would like to do full lenght portraits experimenting from high key to low key. I have attended before a workshop on studio lighting and we used 2-600w & 1-1200w strobes. I wonder if I can get similar results with a lower watt studio strobes especially on the high key setting. Does anybody in the forum knows where is a good place to buy quality china made strobes? Thanks.

thanks for the info...but if I'm using a lower wattage strobe, can I achieve an f22 reading on the light meter in front of the model with a softbox attached on strobe? or will it depend on how big the softbox is and the distance of the strobe from the model? I would like to do full lenght portraits experimenting from high key to low key. I have attended before a workshop on studio lighting and we used 2-600w & 1-1200w strobes. I wonder if I can get similar results with a lower watt studio strobes especially on the high key setting. Does anybody in the forum knows where is a good place to buy quality china made strobes? Thanks.

Actually... all of those u mentioned will affect the light throw to the subject.

Distance
Power
Size of softbox, etc

if you are using a 1200ws strobe with a med size softbox, you get f22 at 10ft away from the light.

you will get f16 with the same softbox, at same distance, with a 600ws strobe.

and your will get f11 with the same softbox, at the same distance, with a 300ws strobe.

does these answered your question??

Sorry to OT a bit, is 1 Studio Strobe of 300ws enough for family portrait?
(Say consisting of 8 people) Or do I need 2? What are the brand of Studio Strobe you prefer & will recommend?

Sorry to OT a bit, is 1 Studio Strobe of 300ws enough for family portrait?
(Say consisting of 8 people) Or do I need 2? What are the brand of Studio Strobe you prefer & will recommend?

Depends on the effect you're after.

If you want a low key effect, yes it is sufficient. But if you want a high key effect, you may need more lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.