mellette

Mar 10, 2009
Hi all,
Hmm. these ae the stuffs I have:
Nikon D70
Nikon AF 70-210mm 1:4
Nikon AF 24-50mm 1:3.3-4.5
Nikon AF Micro 105mm 1:2.8
(the above lens were bought used in the 90s, still good)

Usage: Hobby ,nature, close-ups but lately I would liketo venture into sports photography e.g Rugby,F1 and night shots

Questions:
1) with the current body there are some limitations like adding a remote shuttler, what would be a good upgrade for a used body..D 90, D80,D200??

2) Honestly no cash to invest in a longer AF lens, options? get a teleconverter? how poorly will it result from the current setup, what need to be replaced? lens? any used third party converter to recommend with or without AF function to get decent results?

Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

F1, Rugby and other sports are all about - speed. If you are not into catching trails of movement then your shutter has to be fast as well. Fast shutter speed needs either lots of light or high ISO (or sometimes both). So check about the high ISO performance of your D70 and compare to the bodies you have in mind. Plenty of information and sample pictures on dpreview.com.
Teleconverters will give you a longer reach but at the expense of lowering your maximum aperture. Depending on your converter you will lose up to 2 stops. Your 70-210 f/4 will turn into 70-210 f/8. Use Aperture priority mode on your cam, set aperture to f/8 and see for yourself. You'll need plenty of daylight or highest ISO in order to get a fast shutter speed for freezing motion.
Unless you can predict the movements (like F1 race course) I guess a manual lens will not really handy for sports.

Quoted from www.bythom.com:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another way of looking at things is "is it time to upgrade?" Here, I'll look at each body and make a judgment about whether it's time to move to a newer generation:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D1, D1h, D1x: yes, to any of the FX bodies.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D2h, D2hs: yes, to a D3 for more pixels, better really high ISO values; otherwise no.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D2x, D2xs: no, unless you're moving to a D3x or need high ISO regularly.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D100: yes, to a D300.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D200: no; I'd wait for a D400.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D40: if you need more pixels, yes, to a D60; otherwise no.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D40x: no; present bodies don't provide enough more unless you move upwards in the lineup (e.g. D300).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D50: yes, to a D60. (But note you may lose AF on some lenses, which may bring you back to no.)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D70, D70s: yes, to a D90.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D80: probably, to a D90. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S1, S2: yes, to almost anything from a D90 up.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S3, S5: yes, to a D700.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pro 14n, SLR/n: no, unless you need high ISO (D700) or lots more pixels (D3x).[/FONT]

Hi Octarine,
Thank you vm for the education and the leg up on those questions. Much appreciated! Looks like investing in a third party 300 or 400mm made more sense in this instance when a AF teleconverter does not come cheap either. Any realiable third lens you would suggest with AF function? An f/4 type would be good enough.

Hi Vince,
Thanks for the spead of info. much appreciated!!
Looks like D90 might well be the next upgrade. I just wish to hold on to those lenses that I have as long as I can, thou these are heavy by today's standard, weight is still not a problem at this moment.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.