Need advise on food photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs_sim

Apr 20, 2004
Actually i'm trying to compile my catalogue of cakes, pastries n bread. But not sure if I shld take frm side, top or whats e best view? Need some advise. Also any specific background that i shld use like white to make the cakes stand out???

look ard at posters and learn lo....

if digital, take a few views....wats most important in product shoots i feel is tt the cake muz look like a cake la....

for cakes, slightly tilt at an angle and take from another 45 angle from the tilted plane...

cheers...

ok thanks, :) i'll experiment around

do not take the cake from a top view. it will make the food very flat and very much '2D'.

try to shoot from the side, but, raising the angle slightly higher so that the top view of the cake can be seen as well as the side view of the cake. this will make the food more dynamic and '3D'.

ur background should not be more 'eye-catching' than the food itself, meaning, keep it clean and simple. as for the food layout, it varies.
u might like to place some mat under the cake or some table cloth, etc. etc. or just take the shot on a plain white surface.

do not direct flash onto ur food as it will kill off the shadow details and make the food looks really flat. try to soften the flash output. leave some shadow details.

some simple shots from such an angle...

5482egg021.jpg

5482red_wine011.jpg

have fun experimenting!! ;)

flip magazines and food books to get a better idea of food, some like drinks with layers of space for ice, bits of granish look better viewed striaght on. You could pick up lots of ideas from any bookstore

nice pictures you got there cheesecake!

Belle&Sebastain said:
flip magazines and food books to get a better idea of food, some like drinks with layers of space for ice, bits of granish look better viewed striaght on. You could pick up lots of ideas from any bookstore

nice pictures you got there cheesecake!

hohoho!
thanks B&S...

jus copy the pattern and style from magazines and recipe books in Kinokuniya! :thumbsup:

F5user said:
eat the food,

and then worry about shooting it later..

:confused:

i never eat the food i shoot, yucks when everyone has 'touch' or ;'touch up' with it. You also dun know what kind of stuff we spray on the food.

If you shoot a lot of food you will not want to eat the food. Because they ether give you food pisoning or they are raw or they not the same thing but made to look like that food. :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.