Need advise for Valentine's Day event photo shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

my friend is asking me to help with photo shoot for this Friday post Valentine's Day event @ City Hall Chambers, Supreme Court Building.

I am a newbie, still trying to figure speed speed, aperture size, and I don't for a good flash light.

I am using a Canon EOS 66/ EF28-80mm f/3.5-5.6II with a built-in flash.

Any advise? Thanks in advance.

... :( no help?

u are shooting inside the chambers itself? have u personally gone down to see the lighting inside the chambers?

based on ur lens, u might be hard-pressed to shoot in a dim-light environment without a proper flash. but, u have a few options to get ard it.

the easiest is to get some fast film. minimum ISO 800. a higher ISO will allow u to shoot as close to a 'normal' shutter speed as possible. eg. since ur lens is 28-80mm, based on the 1/focal length speed, ur min shutter speed for hand-held shooting is 1/80 sec. anything lower without a tripod might result in a blurry pic due to hand-shakes. dunno wat is the lighting inside the chamber. best go and look b4 the actual day.

as for wat shutter speed, aperature etc... a lot of it depends on the shooting conditions and subject. shutter speed, already mentioned above. if u have rock-steady hands, mebbe can go lower. but, IMO, not recommended. aperature - depends. if u shooting a single person, mebbe can open up ur aperature (eg. f3.5) to blur out the background. if u shooting a grp pic, mebbe a f8 or f11 to ensure the pic is sharp throughout. really depends. there's no one magic number to shoot in.

nightwolf75 said:
u are shooting inside the chambers itself? have u personally gone down to see the lighting inside the chambers?

based on ur lens, u might be hard-pressed to shoot in a dim-light environment without a proper flash. but, u have a few options to get ard it.

the easiest is to get some fast film. minimum ISO 800. a higher ISO will allow u to shoot as close to a 'normal' shutter speed as possible. eg. since ur lens is 28-80mm, based on the 1/focal length speed, ur min shutter speed for hand-held shooting is 1/80 sec. anything lower without a tripod might result in a blurry pic due to hand-shakes. dunno wat is the lighting inside the chamber. best go and look b4 the actual day.

as for wat shutter speed, aperature etc... a lot of it depends on the shooting conditions and subject. shutter speed, already mentioned above. if u have rock-steady hands, mebbe can go lower. but, IMO, not recommended. aperature - depends. if u shooting a single person, mebbe can open up ur aperature (eg. f3.5) to blur out the background. if u shooting a grp pic, mebbe a f8 or f11 to ensure the pic is sharp throughout. really depends. there's no one magic number to shoot in.

Okay, but is there any lens you can recommend? Maybe I can borrow from my friends.

kevyan said:
Okay, but is there any lens you can recommend? Maybe I can borrow from my friends.

EF50mm/f1.8 would be my top choice. of course, it means u have to zoom with legs more. ;p

if u got frens who can loan u some fast lens - eg. EF24-70mm/f2.8L or EF70-200mm/f2.8L, or any of the 3rd-party variants would be best.

nightwolf75 said:
EF50mm/f1.8 would be my top choice. of course, it means u have to zoom with legs more. ;p

if u got frens who can loan u some fast lens - eg. EF24-70mm/f2.8L or EF70-200mm/f2.8L, or any of the 3rd-party variants would be best.

Okay, I maybe able to source for a 50mm/f1.8 lens. What about flash? Will the built-in flash be good enough?

Hi all, I manage to borrow a 550ex flash from my friend, but he said I need to find a battery pack in order that the flash will last throughtout the entire event.

Any advise?

There is no need for a battery pack aka CP-E2....just get 4 sets (16 pcs) of Sanyo 2100/2300/2500 NIMH batts and you're good to go.

You just need spare batteries. However, your friend's recommendation is not uncalled for. Recharging for the 550EX with battery pack will be much faster as compared to one without.

If you have 580EX, that'll be another story, cos recharging is much much faster than the 550EX without the battery pack.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.