Need advise before I purchase my tripod.

seeing that i wont be buying any zoom lens for the next 5 years, will be using my 135 only
i wont be needing a expensive tripod right?
any light weight tripod which can accommodate my budget of $200?

seeing that i wont be buying any zoom lens for the next 5 years, will be using my 135 only

think u got a wrong concept for tripods. surely expensive tripods like gitzo brand is good but if u dun have budget, there is alternatives like manfrotto, sirui or benro which is 75%-85% of a gitzo i find.

for your budget, try sirui or benro.

No... get a good tripod that can last you many many years even when you upgrade to heavier setup is better than getting a cheap tripod that you will change eventually... and I think that change will come pretty quick.

However, at S$200, you might be able to get a reasonable tripod... not carbon fibre... more like aluminium alloy one which is good enough even for heavy setup.

You mean 18-135mm right? Not 135mm prime lens?
Whether to get an expensive tripod or not depends on your budget and willingness to spend :)
For $200, maybe can consider something like Sirui R1004 + G20 ballhead. Looks like you'll have enough spare change from $200 for a decent meal :)

The sirui G20 head is a pretty decent head for its price. I was considering the 498RC2 until the one of the salesman showed me the G20 head. It's exactly what I wanted and half the price of the manfrotto's.Plus Sirui's warranty is six years whereas manfrotto is one. Not that it will spoil easily,it just gives more sense of security. So maybe TS can consider this head.

Lets go together! Maybe we buy 2 tripod at 1 go, the Salesman will give us a better package. My budget is around $150 -$250.

ahkek said:
The sirui G20 head is a pretty decent head for its price. I was considering the 498RC2 until the one of the salesman showed me the G20 head. It's exactly what I wanted and half the price of the manfrotto's.Plus Sirui's warranty is six years whereas manfrotto is one. Not that it will spoil easily,it just gives more sense of security. So maybe TS can consider this head.

I'm also using G20 with sirui tripod.

Totally happy with it!

You mean 18-135mm right? Not 135mm prime lens?
Whether to get an expensive tripod or not depends on your budget and willingness to spend :)
For $200, maybe can consider something like Sirui R1004 + G20 ballhead. Looks like you'll have enough spare change from $200 for a decent meal :)

ya 18 135 the R1204 is 300g lighter izzit more expensive cos its CF?

anyone wants to go together to get a sirui tripod?

think im making my way next week.

Lets go together! Maybe we buy 2 tripod at 1 go, the Salesman will give us a better package. My budget is around $150 -$250.

sad to say, buying 2 tripods isn't going to make a huge difference to their bottom line. Maybe if you buy 20 or 50 sets, then you might have some bargaining power ;)

ya 18 135 the R1204 is 300g lighter izzit more expensive cos its CF?

carbon fibre is the more exotic material at the moment, and hence commands a price premium. It's partly due to higher material cost, but I suspect it's also partly due to marketing and public willingness to pay for something that's light and strong. Anyway for that size, the aluminium one shouldn't be too heavy. Best you go down and try it for yourself.

How often you do you shoot with tripod? and how long do you need to lug the tripod for an outing?

you have to judge yourself getting a carbon fibre tripod is a necessary or a luxury?

The Carbon fibre and aluminium is just 200g and $100 difference. It is your choice.

i guess i will get an aluminium since i wont be using it much also
just nid a steady tripod

If you are on a budget sirui is the way to go.

i am also thinking of getting a tripod. initially i was thinking of getting one from fotopro as the price is cheaper and colourful and i dun need a heavy setup. but after reading through this thread, it seems like sirui is the way to go, sort of future proof as it is able to take 10kg of setup as compared to 5kg for the fotopro.

is it ok to buy a used sirui tripod at say 80% of the new price? i saw someone selling a sirui tripod in the forum.

i am also thinking of getting a tripod. initially i was thinking of getting one from fotopro as the price is cheaper and colourful and i dun need a heavy setup. but after reading through this thread, it seems like sirui is the way to go, sort of future proof as it is able to take 10kg of setup as compared to 5kg for the fotopro.

is it ok to buy a used sirui tripod at say 80% of the new price? i saw someone selling a sirui tripod in the forum.

If you are comfortable with 2nd hand, why not? Just that if you are not very comfortable with 2nd hand products, best that you spend abit more to get a brand new set instead of worrying over it.

If you are comfortable with 2nd hand, why not? Just that if you are not very comfortable with 2nd hand products, best that you spend abit more to get a brand new set instead of worrying over it.

thanks for answering my question. i have not bought a tripod since shooting in dslr so i am kind of lost in the whole selection of tripods available. plus i have not bought anything used from this forum before so kind of uncertain.

i have read stories of irresponsible sellers (plus buyers too to be fair). what is the usual price an amateur photographer would fork out to buy a tripod?

thanks for answering my question. i have not bought a tripod since shooting in dslr so i am kind of lost in the whole selection of tripods available. plus i have not bought anything used from this forum before so kind of uncertain.

i have read stories of irresponsible sellers (plus buyers too to be fair). what is the usual price an amateur photographer would fork out to buy a tripod?

There are irresponsible sellers and buyers but only a small number, so far all my encounters were positive. How much an amateur photographer would fork out depends on how much is comfortable with them. Some guys might feel that $100 is expensive while others feel that $500 is reasonable.