Need advice to buy new camera in comming comex

Hmmm... SMU student card can or not? :think: I better call them! :D

not sure:) yup better double confirm.

The only details i know is need to present student card before purchase and the bundle includes 8GB SD, Sony&Lowepro bag and kit lens 18-55mm. And the student have to fill up the warranty card on the spot. And the deadline for the promo is 31Aug!!!!

wah... the promotion is good, 499 for a290 is good!!! but i dun have friends from both side :(

Hmmm... SMU student card can or not? :think: I better call them! :D

you're from SMU?? haha.. me too~!

not sure:) yup better double confirm.

The only details i know is need to present student card before purchase and the bundle includes 8GB SD, Sony&Lowepro bag and kit lens 18-55mm. And the student have to fill up the warranty card on the spot. And the deadline for the promo is 31Aug!!!!

hmm only cathay isit??

Buy an entry DSLR if you don't mind the weight. $499 for a290...what more can you ask definately worth it!

Don't worry about the different setting on DSLR, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that. For a start set it to automatic and the picture will still be much more sharper & detailed compare to any compact camera.

please don't buy at comex, unless you want a lot of unnecessary, subpar items.

there are deals sometimes, but very rare.

Do you have any friends/ children/ relatives that are in NTU or NUS now? there is a ongoing promo for sony dslr at Cathay Photo

A290---official retail price=$699, discounted price after displaying student pass=$499
A390---official retail price=$899, discounted price after displaying student pass=$699

Good bargain:bsmilie:

Wah so cheap? Im gonna poison my friends now lol

Last edited:
Buy an entry DSLR if you don't mind the weight. $499 for a290...what more can you ask definately worth it!

Don't worry about the different setting on DSLR, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that. For a start set it to automatic and the picture will still be much more sharper & detailed compare to any compact camera.

Hi Azzurro, thank; this promo dun applied to me, i'm not a student and dun have friends/relatives that studying in uni. :cry:
However, i can accept 699 if a290 is good, i start this thread without knowing this promo, and I'm will continue to pretend i dun know... hahaha

Last edited:
If we split the $200 savings, I can help ya buy. Hahaha

If we split the $200 savings, I can help ya buy. Hahaha

Hi CyberTron88, thanks, so it'll be 499+100 = 599... hahaha, but dun forget spree86 offer me at no cost:bsmilie:

If you want can PM me i have NUS card. Of course timing is only when i'm free haha

Hi spree86, a big thank to you!:)
However, i prefer not to rush out to buy just becos of the discount. Furthermore, if the shop required us to fill up the warrenty with you particular on the spot, i dun want to trouble you in the future.

Nevertheless, I still thank you for your kind offer.

Hi all,

I'm intending to get myself a new camera on upcomming comex show for my holiday trip later this years; i've limited knowledge on camera and the price, but i love photography and like to pick it up. I l also went to megatex for a preview and to update myself.

initially, i'm looking at canon s90 because of its size and good review i read online; however, i notice in megatex some dslr are comparable, even cheaper in price to canon s90, namely sony alpha 290, and olympus e450.
What would you all recommend, get myself a s90 (or alike like samsung ex1) or entry level dslr? I dun mind, in fact prefer carrying a bigger camera, however, i have no intention of upgrading/ buy new lens. In term of handling, i try all three and a few other models, i find it acceptable with no prefer model.

If i dun purchase new lens and using it mainly for my holiday trips with the default len, its better to consider non-dslr, in term of quality will it be the same? In term of price, which is worth more. Experience and handling knowledge isn't important because whatever i get, i'll learn to use.

Thanks!

I second the suggestions of not buying during COMEX. It is best to go to a shop and spend some time to fiddle with the cameras in consideration without the pushing and shoving of a crowd.

The Canon S90 is a very good P&S. You should seriously consider it if you want a compact digital camera for holiday. DSLRs are bulkier.

If you want can PM me i have NUS card. Of course timing is only when i'm free haha

Hi spree86, a big thank to you!:)
However, i prefer not to rush out to buy just becos of the discount. Furthermore, if the shop required us to fill up the warrenty with you particular on the spot, i dun want to trouble you in the future.

Nevertheless, I still thank you for your kind offer.

So helpful of you, spree86. :D

Guys, check your pm. :)

I second the suggestions of not buying during COMEX. It is best to go to a shop and spend some time to fiddle with the cameras in consideration without the pushing and shoving of a crowd.

The Canon S90 is a very good P&S. You should seriously consider it if you want a compact digital camera for holiday. DSLRs are bulkier.

Hi Genie In A Lightbox, for traveling pns is probably more convenient... I don't want to buy two cameras, so I am trying to find the best compromise. I guess dSLR has more potential and possibilities (though the quality of the pictures are decided by who is behind the lens hahaha).

Hi Genie In A Lightbox, for traveling pns is probably more convenient... I don't want to buy two cameras, so I am trying to find the best compromise. I guess dSLR has more potential and possibilities (though the quality of the pictures are decided by who is behind the lens hahaha).

If you really want a DSLR, then go for it. The person behind the camera may not mean much provided you shoot for yourself - it is your world and your memories you want to capture. Doesn't mean you can't be a pro later or having the "gift", but don't expect that we'd instantly be a pro just because of a DSLR.

We are here to give advice. Advices are meant to be chewed on, if they sound reasonable and you wish to follow, then swallow it. If not, just spit if out. Simple as that. Ultimately you be the judge of yourself and your own spending. Okayz? :D

just wanna check it it applies to SIM too?

If you really want a DSLR, then go for it. The person behind the camera may not mean much provided you shoot for yourself - it is your world and your memories you want to capture. Doesn't mean you can't be a pro later or having the "gift", but don't expect that we'd instantly be a pro just because of a DSLR.

We are here to give advice. Advices are meant to be chewed on, if they sound reasonable and you wish to follow, then swallow it. If not, just spit if out. Simple as that. Ultimately you be the judge of yourself and your own spending. Okayz? :D

Hi kriegsketten, you're right. I do accept advice, that the reason i'm here, and my comment doesn't prove anything other than what i think... hahha

Last edited: