Need Advice On buying D40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Zhiliang, I can understand what you are saying as I've went thru that when I started to convert to digital.

My best bet for you is to get a D50 instead. Search for some good deals as D50 is discontinued, and stores may be releasing them at low price. (Anything below the D40 is good)

(Anything below the D40 is good)

Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot.... Why do you say that by the way? Is there not much difference between the D40 and my current camera now anyway?

It depends on the sensor and the speed of the lens options you can get with a dSLR. A D50 is really worthwhile now as it does away the limitation of lens to only those with motors in lens. (Unless you wanna use manual focus).

Also, The batteries are always the 1st to go instead of the memory space. D40 batt is of lesser capacity and it sucks more power as all the status display is via the LCD.

Of course, the form is a drool factor.

Saw some of the photos you took at the zoo previously and your one shot a day thread. Were you using your D50? Thanks for sharing them as they are good shots of everyday happenings around us. Did you upgrade to your D80? Will i be able to still buy a new D50 from shops? What kit lens does it come with? Does it means that as long as i get good lens, the age (as in not one that just came out recently) of the D50 will not be any problem? Also do you know how is the D50 as compared to the D70?

Thanks once again

Hey, anyone know anything about the Konica Minolta 5D? Has it stopped production? Is the image quality good?

D40 certainly is able to produce better looking shots straight out of the camera in comparison to D50 or D70s

D40 also has better noise control which is certainly a good plus

only major problem for D40 is its lack of an AF motor drive which means you won't be able to AF on older lenses without built-in motors. If you asked me personally, i would say the advantages D40 far outweighs its disadvantages.

For that kind of money ($930 incl. tax), i doubt you'll be able to get anything better =)

What do u mean "you won't be able to AF on older lenses without built-in motors"?

What do u mean "you won't be able to AF on older lenses without built-in motors"?

The D40 does not have a focusing motor. As such, if you want to use Auto-focus, you need to get a lens which a focusing motor inside the lens (AF-S)

The D40 does not have a focusing motor. As such, if you want to use Auto-focus, you need to get a lens which a focusing motor inside the lens (AF-S)

So complicated! How much will that cost?

Hey, anyone know anything about the Konica Minolta 5D? Has it stopped production? Is the image quality good?

It's a good camera, but Konica Minolta was bought by Sony. The "upgraded" 5D is the Sony A100.

It's a good camera, but Konica Minolta was bought by Sony. The "upgraded" 5D is the Sony A100.

Do you know where they still sell this model? How is the image quality?

Do you know where they still sell this model? How is the image quality?

You can still get it second-hand. It pops up frequently on the Marketplace thread here.

Try googling some reviews for image quality. :)

Here's a good one:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KM5D/KM5DA12.HTM

Though pleae note that, being a DSLR, image sharpness, etc, can also depend a LOT on the quality of the lens.

Saw some of the photos you took at the zoo previously and your one shot a day thread. Were you using your D50? Thanks for sharing them as they are good shots of everyday happenings around us. Did you upgrade to your D80? Will i be able to still buy a new D50 from shops? What kit lens does it come with? Does it means that as long as i get good lens, the age (as in not one that just came out recently) of the D50 will not be any problem? Also do you know how is the D50 as compared to the D70?

Thanks once again

Thanks for your compliments. Yes, all the Zoo Pictures are taken with D50. My APAD 2006 is also D50 (18-55mm Kit Lens). APAD 2007 is with D80.

D50 sensor is a lot advanced then D70. (D70 to D70s to D50)
The noise are a lot lesser then D70.

Yes, D50 should be able to fit the whole arsenal of Nikon Lens. (Apart from some very very old ones, which none of the digital can)

sorry if i were to go OT, any idea what should be the market rate for a 2nd hand D50 kit? Probably 6+ months old?

Click search, click Advanced search, enter d50 in the keyword, select the BnS: Camera Forum, click the search button. :sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.