Need advice on a solvent for screw solution

JoshuaL-

Nov 1, 2011
Hi people,

Need some help out here. Recently purchased a leica m6, but realised after awhile that the previous owner had set the soft shuttle release it came with into the shutter button with "screw solution". I'm guessing to prevent from losing the softshuttle release.

Did not notice this before because I never thought that i would have to check the shutter button. However, once i decided to remove the soft shutter release, realised to my shock that it's binded to the shutter button with the "screw solution". Does anyone have any solutions on how to remove or dissolve this screw adhesive safely (my m6 is black chrome, dont want to damage anything) so that i can remove the soft shutter?

Also hope that the screw thread in the shutter button wont get screwed :(

Thanks!
Joshua

Wow. Well, that's one way to keep it from falling out... :eek:

You might try a tiny drop of acetone (nail polish remover) and let it sit on the threads for a couple of minutes before trying to remove it again.

I tried acetone based nail polish, but don't think I managed to get it into the threads, because I left it there for quite awhile until it dried up but its still stuck tight... Maybe I didn't apply it properly but it's difficult to get the remover into the threads (the softie is the large size)

"KY" will usually help in any screw situation.... won't help keeping it up though...

Just leave the soft release on. No harm unless its some stupid design.

Or if you are adventrous, you can try touching a solder iron tip to it for a while to heat up the threads a bit, then try turning, wear gloves. But best not to do this. Just leave the soft release there.

JoshuaL- said:
Hi people,

Need some help out here. Recently purchased a leica m6, but realised after awhile that the previous owner had set the soft shuttle release it came with into the shutter button with "screw solution". I'm guessing to prevent from losing the softshuttle release.

Did not notice this before because I never thought that i would have to check the shutter button. However, once i decided to remove the soft shutter release, realised to my shock that it's binded to the shutter button with the "screw solution". Does anyone have any solutions on how to remove or dissolve this screw adhesive safely (my m6 is black chrome, dont want to damage anything) so that i can remove the soft shutter?

Also hope that the screw thread in the shutter button wont get screwed :(

Thanks!
Joshua

Joshua,

Your only proper course of action is to contact the person you had bought this camera from and ask him/her what compound did he/she used to "glue" the soft release button to the shutter release. There are so many different types of compound on the market for such application, some are permanent while others are not. If the compound used is permanent then you are really stuck with it as nothing can be done to remove it unless you have the entire button replaced by a qualified repair shop. With non permanent compound, you need to know what it is and then look for the proper solution for that compound else you risk damaging your purchase. Heat treating your Leica? A very bad thing to do, avoid at all course well unless you are an expert in such procedure, DONT'T. I doubt any of us here really have a solution to your problem without knowing what exactly we are dealing with. Not advisable to follow any recommendation, no matter how well intended, as shooting blindly is likely to cause innocent injury than getting the intended target.

It's an expansive piece of equipment you had just invested, treat it with care.

Hahah thanks guys. Yes I wouldn't have heated it up. Thankfully it was just blue loctite, so I dribbled some npr between the softie and the thread using a cotton bud cut in half to make it super thin, then put some nail polish remover into it like a straw to apply. Let it set for 5min before removing it with a twist. Camera is functioning fine so I doubt I damaged anything. Savaged the softie:) wanted I fit my lady bug on that's why removed the one it came with, not used to it

Cocking the shutter as we speak, frame 28^^