Need Advice : Newbie for wedding shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlaKerz

Mar 11, 2009
Hi All,

I'm a newbie into photography line. Currently with me i have a Canon 1000D with EFS 18-55mm & EF 75-300mm lens.

My friend want me to take a wedding photo. No photo of the bride n groom needed as the bride has his own photographer. Just the whole group family photos and some candid shot of the family members. I have no equipment for it but plan to get it. It's a malay wedding. Location will be void deck.

Advice needed on the things i need to bring for this shoot. ex. what type of lens, flash, batt, wide range, etc.

Hope to hear from u guys soon.

Regards,
Rizal

flash - 430 or 580. familarise yourself with flash exposure compensation esp. when backlit.

lens - use your 18-55 for group shots and 75-300 for candids.

batteries - lots of spares. just in case.

happy shooting!

The key points for a sucessful wedding shoot are,

- Proper Planning
- Working Gear (CF or SD card fails midway = wrecked)

sorry TS for hjacking your thread awhile :D

btw is it good to just use a nissin flash and prime 50mm
for wedding candid ? :D

cheers ~

thanx for all the advice...charles, so i just need the flash? what about others? like wide range lens, flast difuser. etc..????

Im worried that what i bring is not enough for the wedding shoot....

malay wedding is quite easy to shoot.

what i do normally is to go to the location prior to the event to have a look how it will be like, though i dont use canon, im sure your stock will be good enough.

TS , you are better off using your kit lens. I shot a PAID wedding using nothing but kit lens + flash. dont forget memory cards!

if you want more tips, talk to the photographer. i learnt a lot from the photographer before i did my own shots. chat up with them, they dont bite, unless you get one lemon ones.. but so far, in my 4years in photography, and attending 4 own family weddings, and 2 friend's wedding, the AD photographers are nice enough to chat and even give tips on composition etc

a tip for you if taking photo of family members... some shots are candid... eg; mother/father/family crying do watch out for such things. or when pengantin salams the family(shakes hand) you might wanna be there..

At void decks, you would have plenty of light, in the day at least. So you need not use flash unless necessary.
For example there might be shadows or dark lit areas, then you use flash.

Use the 18-55 for group shots, and 75-300 for "surprise" or further away shots.

You can get a flash unit, or use the flash in-built your camera. Either way, you must be very sure of operating flash, and the different type of flash. May come in handy under specific conditions.

Other than that, it is just simple things, like sufficient batteries, proper working memory cards etc.

Would a wide angle lens be useful?

At void decks, you would have plenty of light, in the day at least. So you need not use flash unless necessary.
For example there might be shadows or dark lit areas, then you use flash.

Use the 18-55 for group shots, and 75-300 for "surprise" or further away shots.

You can get a flash unit, or use the flash in-built your camera. Either way, you must be very sure of operating flash, and the different type of flash. May come in handy under specific conditions.

Other than that, it is just simple things, like sufficient batteries, proper working memory cards etc.

on the contrary, i think that the location under HDB blocks run the risk of low lights. This is especially so during the daytime when the sun is strong outside, resulting in dark shots inside. So I would think a flash is necessary, as TS's lenses does not have big enough apertures (or even high enough ISO with 1000D) to cope with low lighting

meter for the subject i the shade and let the outside blow out
it is better than having the subjects get very under exposed

The lighting at the void deck is much easier to control as compared to a typical hotel reception. As such, i'm sure your kit lens is more than enough. Just be careful of the bright background throwing your metering off. Either use fill flash or get there earlier and look for the best backdrop where u can eliminate the outside interference.

Sorry if I OT abit from this thread... Coz I have not done a malay wedding day shoot yet... do the photographers charge less because it is generally "easier" to shoot given the more favorable lighting conditions? :dunno:

Sorry if I OT abit from this thread... Coz I have not done a malay wedding day shoot yet... do the photographers charge less because it is generally "easier" to shoot given the more favorable lighting conditions? :dunno:

malay weddings have a standard flat rate...

eg :WEDDING PACKAGE BUDGET
For 1 Day Event
Price$420
5 Hours of photography service
180 pcs 4R prints
1 slot-in Wedding Album
1 photo-cd with all exposure etc

do note teh above is just an example... any real prices/package that is referrenced to is purely coincidental.

Thread starter,

stick with your 18-55 kit lens and get a flash please... and a diffuser...

malay weddings have a standard flat rate...

eg :WEDDING PACKAGE BUDGET
For 1 Day Event
Price$420
5 Hours of photography service
180 pcs 4R prints
1 slot-in Wedding Album
1 photo-cd with all exposure etc

do note teh above is just an example... any real prices/package that is referrenced to is purely coincidental.

Thanks for the info... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.