NEED ADVICE: D40 + (18-55+55-200) OR (18-200mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'P' mode is you leave everything to the camera. If the camera detects low lighting, it will automatically slows your speed. That may results in blurred pictures. Alternatively, your D40 can set to Auto-ISO, that may boost up the speed a little for clearer picture. Don't worry about degration in quality, your D40 gives acceptable image quality at ISO1600.

'P' mode is you leave everything to the camera. If the camera detects low lighting, it will automatically slows your speed. That may results in blurred pictures. Alternatively, your D40 can set to Auto-ISO, that may boost up the speed a little for clearer picture. Don't worry about degration in quality, your D40 gives acceptable image quality at ISO1600.

It's already at Auto-ISO, but still getting blurry pictures :embrass: sigh...

Hmmm.. getting more confused.. what is the difference between "P" and "Auto" then? Is it right for me to say that "P" still allows me to have a certain amount of control over the shutter and Aperture while "Auto" means.... well... 100% auto?

I finally got my hands on a set of D40 and shot some pictures with it using auto mode... looks better than the FZ5... (or maybe i'm just biased.. ;p)

I also tried it using the 'P' mode but i cannot understand why the shutter speed seems slower. I read the manual and it says that the camera will auto-select the shutter speed. :cry: Can someone enlighten me? Thx in advance....

Hmmm... really appreciate it if you could post some pictures of your FZ5 here.

Hmmm.. could you also share what are some of the "recommended user guides that greatly helped [you] along the way?"

Cheers!

if you got the d40, you can try referring to kenrockwell guide for starters.
as for the panny one, you start out by learning from the A or S mode 1st.
below is a link of an image using the A mode at F8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21406143@N07/2076678669/

Yep, although you're leaving the camera to do its settings in 'P' mode, you still can tweak more settings as in flexible program, which you'll see 'P*' than 'Auto'.

The "P" mode stands for "Programed Auto". In this mode the camera will select a variety of shutter speeds and aperture combinations that result in the same exposure for a given scene. Generally rotating the dial to the right will give you larger apertures (lower f numbers) and faster shutter speeds and rotating the dial to the left will give you smaller apertures (higher f numbers) and slower shutter speeds. To be perfectly honest with you, I rarely use this mode at all. Generally, when you are composing a scene, you have some image in your head as to what kind of effect you are looking for. If you have no time to fiddle around with the manual settings because the "moment" is escaping you can switch to either shutter "S" or aperture "A" priority modes and control your shots from there. It will give you finer control and, ultimately, once you learn the limits of your camera (as blive very correctly points out) give you better pictures.

And, as blive says, it isn't about the cost of the camera. It has nothing to do with it. Each and every camera is a unique beast on its own that will take pictures that cannot be reproduced by another. That is what makes photography an art. If you learn how to manipulate your camera under given conditions to give the effect that you want, you will take fantastic photographs regardless of your equipment. I used to have an old FinePix A201 (2.0 MP fixed zoom), and it took fantastic pictures. Looking at what today's cameras have you probably wouldn't give this one a second glance, but having learned all of the camera's quirks I would still take it out for a spin today. Good luck! :)

I use D50 with the Nikkor 18-200mm lens.....i think it's as convinient as any megazoom (I've used the Sony DSC-H1 b4)....:)

For me, the quality of picture, speed of camera, batt life of DSLR trounces prosumer....:)

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll bring my Fujiflim F30 with me.....:)

And, as blive says, it isn't about the cost of the camera. It has nothing to do with it. Each and every camera is a unique beast on its own that will take pictures that cannot be reproduced by another. That is what makes photography an art. If you learn how to manipulate your camera under given conditions to give the effect that you want, you will take fantastic photographs regardless of your equipment. I used to have an old FinePix A201 (2.0 MP fixed zoom), and it took fantastic pictures. Looking at what today's cameras have you probably wouldn't give this one a second glance, but having learned all of the camera's quirks I would still take it out for a spin today. Good luck! :)

:embrass::angel:

TS, - I may be a geek, but I do read the manual that comes with my D50 from front to end a few times over. This helps me to understand the manufacturer's explanation of terms and quirks of the camera. Do visit the national library and look at the photography books. You need to understand the basics aspect of photography too.

Personally, I do use P mode quite often. I just turn the dial to change the shutter speed - aperture combination to get the same exposure settings. Which mode you use actually depends on what you are trying to achieve in the photos.

I have not seen your photos, so I can only guess that you shutter speed is too slow, as your subject could be moving faster. Either use a flash or increase the shutter speed.

Oh yeah! the subject is just as important.

I use D50 with the Nikkor 18-200mm lens.....i think it's as convinient as any megazoom (I've used the Sony DSC-H1 b4)....:)

For me, the quality of picture, speed of camera, batt life of DSLR trounces prosumer....:)

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll bring my Fujiflim F30 with me.....:)

TS, this guy has the most no of views on his thread in night photography.
go see his works in the night photography sub-forum since his a super long exposure guy.
and perhaps you could find out more using the EXIF info.

Status
Not open for further replies.