Need abit help & advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
Hi All,

I am trying to shoot some small figurines...and I am using Sigma 24-70mm to shoot..but it just cant really focus well...and the pictures really horrible...and how can i solve this problem???
Does it mean i need a macro lens for this??

Small and close-up = macro.

You could try a close-up filter, but for best performance and quality, try to rent a macro lens.

What does "can't really focus well" mean? What happens exactly? What exactly is horrible about the pictures? Care to share one or two?
Have a look at the "Minimum Focusing Distance" of the lens. It's in the manual, or online.

What does "can't really focus well" mean? What happens exactly? What exactly is horrible about the pictures? Care to share one or two?
Have a look at the "Minimum Focusing Distance" of the lens. It's in the manual, or online.

cant really focus well mean...the camera try to focus but the picture just very blur...sometimes the focus box just become red..and i cant click the shutter release...

cant really focus well mean...the camera try to focus but the picture just very blur...sometimes the focus box just become red..and i cant click the shutter release...

You try to increase ISO of 800.

i suspect you are shooting in a dark situation as you said can't click the shutter release so it is hunting. if it focused it is blur because you have a slow shutter, the blur is due to handshake..best to provide us aperture, shutter, ISO and we can advise you best solution..

i suspect you are shooting in a dark situation as you said can't click the shutter release so it is hunting. if it focused it is blur because you have a slow shutter, the blur is due to handshake..best to provide us aperture, shutter, ISO and we can advise you best solution..

Sounds more like he's too close. The MFD is too long.

give us more details of the shoot and post up the blur photo so we can see what the problem is.

u do know that all lens have a minimum focusing distance, which if u go too close, ur lens will continuously hunt for the right focal point which isn't going to happen and thus ur lens will never be in focus, neither can u take that shot.

Sounds more like he's too close. The MFD is too long.

I am using 1/125, f2.8 at ISO 400 ...

as due to the object is pretty small..i need to go abit close..and i try to shoot at 70mm..but sometimes it can be focused but very blur ... the area i am shooting is pretty dim but i did try to use flash to cover up...maybe i am too close to the object..

I am using 1/125, f2.8 at ISO 400 ...

as due to the object is pretty small..i need to go abit close..and i try to shoot at 70mm..but sometimes it can be focused but very blur ... the area i am shooting is pretty dim but i did try to use flash to cover up...maybe i am too close to the object..
post a picture with the exif intact...or at least the hyperlink to the picture.

den its an MFD problem lor..just zoom in all the way n step back i little until ur cam can focus..the point is to get ur lens abit further away frm the object that ur shooting.:)

Hi All,

I am trying to shoot some small figurines...and I am using Sigma 24-70mm to shoot..but it just cant really focus well...and the pictures really horrible...and how can i solve this problem???
Does it mean i need a macro lens for this??

let me explain this in simpler terms, i guess.

your lens, cannot focus on something too close, because of manufacturing constraint.

take your finger, put in on your nose, your finger is oof. your eyes cannot focus on your finger because too close, same thing, the lens cannot do it too.

how to solve..

1) buy bigger figurine

2) buy macro lens

3) use raynox add-ons

4) use macro close up filters

first one is probably cheapest.. 2nd one most expensive, etc..

let me explain this in simpler terms, i guess.

your lens, cannot focus on something too close, because of manufacturing constraint.

take your finger, put in on your nose, your finger is oof. your eyes cannot focus on your finger because too close, same thing, the lens cannot do it too.

how to solve..

1) buy bigger figurine

2) buy macro lens

3) use raynox add-ons

4) use macro close up filters

first one is probably cheapest.. 2nd one most expensive, etc..

erm..those figurine...not cheap...the price can be like a mid range lens...

get a marco len...

for marco shots, u normally need a much much hogher aperature value

erm..those figurine...not cheap...the price can be like a mid range lens...

:sweatsm:

1. step back until you are at least 1.5m away from your figurine. (I have no experience with Sigma lenses)
2. Try shooting.
3. See photo.
4. Good? If so, take a step forward (10cm?). Else, jump to step 6
5. repeat steps 2 to 4
6. (Photo looks bad) Tell us how close you were

Step 6 will let you know the MFD (minimum focusing distance) of the lens you are using to shoot your figurine. If you want the figurine to look any bigger, please heed the suggestions already mentioned by the others. I'm sorry but with just your current lens alone, you can't get your figurines to look any bigger than you would have achieved at step 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.