Need a camera recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

death7878

Feb 11, 2005
Hi everyone!! New to photography... Have been lurking in this forum to learn more first before posting... Anyway, i plan to get a camera and need some recommendation for a newbie....

To make life easier, i shall follow the guidelines to getting a new camera
01. Budget?-- less then $1k
02. Megapixel count? --- Doesnt really matter since i heard from the pros that skills is more important

03. Optical zoom factor? --- hopefully the higher the better since i am more into macro photography

04. Size? --- Size of the camera?? dun really mind since i can put into a bag and carry it around..

05. Type of batteries used? --- Doesnt really matter but hopefully batt life can be long

06. Weight? --- Dun matter

07. Able to mount lenses/filters? --- Yes... planning to get close up filters and UV filter to mount onto it

08. Manual controls required? --- Preferably yes.... heard that manual mode helps u advance faster....

09. Auto-Focus Speed? --- Dun know wat is this?? can someone enlighten me?

10. What kind of pictures are you hoping to take? --- Gonna take close up shots and perhaps advance to normal landscape photography...

Actually, i am eyeing for the fz20... however, i find it too high end for a beginner to start with? hm.... hopefully can get a SLR-like camera to kick start my hobby....

I think fz20 fit all your description and budget.

It is a good investment if you are serious in photography.

No point buying a P&S digi cam and find that after 1 year, u need to upgrade to a new one, when u need more SLR like features.

just to correct one of your conceptual errors, zoom is not related to required for macro photography (true macro photography is reproduction of greater than life size on the corresponding sensor surface). what you need is close focussing ability.

my suggestion is that, with your budget, you consider a canon A series camera. either the A75 or A95 will fit nicely into your budget with room for a bigger compactflash card, extra battery, mini tripod, and filters, accessory lenses, etc. Both the A75 and A95 have close focusing (i think it's down to 15cm but i'm not sure. specifics can be found at dpreview.com), aperture/shutter priority as well as manual mode, and they have decent lenses/image quality.

I think an fz20 sounds good for u. Especially since ur into macro photography. Just get some close-up filters and stack them if necessary, should be able to get very decent magnification ratios.

Regarding wingless's suggestion for the canon a75-95 series, you can't really depend on the close-focussing of 15cm for macro shots, cos its really not close enough. You would still hafta stack close-up filters to get decent magnification.

Between the fz20 series, and the canon a75-95 series, the fz20 should do better, cos the magnification factor when using close-up filters does depend on the optical zoom that you haf. There's actually a formula to calculate the magnification factor..think search for azone's macro guide in his gallery to find out more. ;p

so the fz20 aint too high end for a newbie???

death7878 said:
so the fz20 aint too high end for a newbie???

My advise is to go to the shop and try both fz20 and the canon a75-95 series, see which one you are most comfortable with :)

Canon is more of a point and shoot, it will be smaller in form factor, more easy for you to bring it along with you.

Weight (no batt) 235 g (8.2 oz)

Dimensions 101 x 65 x 35 mm (3.9 x 2.5 x 1.4 in)

FZ20 more heavy and bulky, u must be really into photography to carry a 0.5kg camera for photo shooting :D

Weight (inc batt) 556 g (1.2 lb)
Dimensions 128 x 87 x 106 mm (5.0 x 3.4 x 4.2 in)

I will personally prefer fz20, because i have 2 years of Point and Shoot with my old A40 :D

After you decide on which camera to get and purchased it. The journey begins here. Spend as much time as possible practicing photography if you're keen in it. Join up with the other photographers in this forum for outdoor shooting trips. For that's the fastest way to learn to understand how to take better pictures and clarify those myths that consumers normally subscribe to.

Erm, no offend to the pxxxxx brand users above. i personally feel that fz20 lens is quite good, but then the ccd is really so so. may be you can compare some picture simples yourself online before buying.

Since it is ur first cam, i think should get something compact and cheap. Coz you are going to shoot very often (if not daily) crazily around the island (if not the world) for quite a while after you get the camera.

After you confirm you are in, then start to invest a system. That sounds better in my opnion. If you are still unsure, get the basic. So you wont be hesitated when there is a need to upgrade equipment.

A95 can shoot marco also, get one or two close up filter you can shoot up to 4 to 5 cm easily. There is no worry about close up.

And anyway, skill matter most, i believe in clubsnap there are ppl with A75-95 or FZ20 produce better pictures than those with 300D or 10D or D70. So, get a cam to learn from basic first. As long as the camera has full manual mode for you, it should be ok :)

Hm... Ok.... so now i am in a dilemma.... should i get the A95 or FZ20?? personally i like the fz20 design.... however, i haven got to try them out yet.... so maybe one day i might go and try it out....

the best thing to do is go down to a shop you trust (maybe john 3:16? cathay photo?) and personally try out the two cameras. handle them, try different settings, test the macro mode, and take a couple of shots. that will give you a better idea of which interface you are more comfortable with, what the cameras "feel" like, and so on. there is a limit to how much the advice of other people can help you :)

death7878 said:
09. Auto-Focus Speed? --- Dun know wat is this?? can someone enlighten me?
Some digicams are very slow in auto focus, ie, when you see the subject in the camera viewfinder, then press the button to auto focus, the camera will hunt around to find the focus and lock in the focus, only when the camera lock in the focus, then it will allow you to take a photo.

hm.... ok! thnx all for the advice and views... anyway, is there anything i should take note when buying the camera such as battery, lens and etc so that i wont get chop carrot head?

if you are unsure, dont buy anything along with camera purchase.

most of the time when i buy things, i would study a lot from internet first. then go to the shop act stupid stupid everything dont know. some salesmen are really nice and sincere to you, willing to explain accurately. But sadly there are some, they would just slaughter you if they sense you are not in the field.

got a time i help my friend buy a compact digi cam, with a specific model in mind. when i ask price from a shop, the salesman give mi very low price, then when i try the cam, he keep on saying this cam no good. and offer another model same brand, which is slightly more expensive. then he keep on telling mi the advantage of the cam.

And you know what, the actual market price of the camera he recommended is cheaper then my targeted camera, stated clearly in that producer's website. Hopeless salesman, cheat also dont know how to cheat properly.

When i insist to buy the "bad" model (coz that shop's price is really cheap), he then force mi to buy along with some other thing such as battery, filter, adeptor tube. And a 30+mm UV filter cost a bloody SGD$80+ (normal price around 20 +/- 5)... i say dont want, then he shows mi a super dark face and say this price cannot make it.

Make mi so angry with the shop, haiz. That was around 3 years back in sim lim sq... Hope you can shop with better luck ~ : )

pshing's experience is very common is Sim Lim "black" shop.

Common tactics used by salesman that I heard of, they will offer you a very unbelievable price, try to ask you to buy, when you really want to buy, they will tell u tons of crappy answer, no stocks, come again later etc.

I am currently owning a A95 and is having lots of newbie fun with it. But it seems that I can't really get into the macro shooting aspect of it as the Depth of Field isn't as pronouced as what has been posted in the forum. Another thing is whenever I tried to use the telephoto lens, the min aperture I can use changes to F4.9 instead of the F2.8 in it's wide angle lens. Is there any solution to this flaw? Do I need to buy any extra lenses? Is it worthwhile to buy extra lenses for A95?

Hammerklavier said:
I am currently owning a A95 and is having lots of newbie fun with it. But it seems that I can't really get into the macro shooting aspect of it as the Depth of Field isn't as pronouced as what has been posted in the forum. Another thing is whenever I tried to use the telephoto lens, the min aperture I can use changes to F4.9 instead of the F2.8 in it's wide angle lens. Is there any solution to this flaw? Do I need to buy any extra lenses? Is it worthwhile to buy extra lenses for A95?

That ain't a flaw, just a limitation. If you're serious about macro photography in the long run, consider a DSLR with macro lenses. Yes it will burn a hole in your wallet, but will satisfy your passion in a while new dimension.

The a75 & 95 actually have a macro focusing range down to 5cm :bigeyes: so this would be good for your type of photography. But everyone has different opinions and taste, so the decision is entirely up to u.

cheers! :thumbsup:

Today me went to max photo chinatown to see FZ20, quoted price is 900, with SD card, and case.

MS Color quoted me 911 with GST

death7878, if you r interested, go take a look :D

Thanks mlwang for the information.. In fact i have already emailed them for e-quote...

Status
Not open for further replies.