NDP Rehearsal 4th Aug 2007 (Some snapshots from from Benjamin Sheares Bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockunder

Apr 12, 2005
Camera : Fujifilm S6500fd

No. of pictures : 11

Critiques are strongly welcome. Thanks in advance.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Benjamin Sheares Bridge was open during this rehearsal (because there was no fireworks). I wasn't sure whether there would be any aircraft manoeuvre until the Chinook carring the big Singapore flag, accompanied by the Apaches came.

For the coming NDP (9 Aug), this bridge will be closed and we won't be able to get a high-up view of the NDP display from the bridge.

#1 Cannons for the 21 shot salute
dscf0025fs1.jpg

#2 The Parade from afar (resolution is not so good from this far on a prosumer camera)
dscf0029ou3.jpg

#3 The Usual flypast
dscf0041oc5.jpg

#4 F16s display
dscf0043copycu9.jpg

#5 Sunset at Marina Bay
dscf0045ns1.jpg

#6 The Commandos (Shot at ISO 800 due to the dim light after 7pm. Should have framed it to include lower part. They suddenly started when my camera wasn't ready and so I only had time to think of shutter speed but didn't have time to frame properly.)
dscf0054copyfb0.jpg

#9 Chinook in mid air
dscf0060gx9.jpg

#8 The float approaching the floating stadium platform (Light was dim and therefore shot in ISO 800 to get the required shutter speed. As a result, there appears lots of holes (depressions) on the water surface).
dscf0079hf1.jpg

#9 As night falls, the colourful lights on the staduium with CBD as background make a nice night scene
dscf0086dn7.jpg

#10 Colourful lights on the spectator stands. (Unfortunately, some blown out highlights of the white lights underneath the stands. I saw the blownout highlights on my camera's histogram just after I shot but I thought it wasn't so bad. I need to be more careful next time.)
dscf0089ly1.jpg

#11 Some colourful remote controlled flying objects display in the stadium
dscf0092axa9.jpg

first five shots look great.
composure and exposure is good.

#1 Cannons for the 21 shot salute
dscf0025fs1.jpg

Now they have a mat for the guns to be rolled and deployed over. Didn't have that back when i did it in 2004. Good idea too, especially with all the mud. I still remember we had to paint the wheels...

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Interesting perspective.

very nice series, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

way better than the last series. I guess location does matter.

You were allowed to go up there? The authority never stop you? I wanted to go there and shoot too, but saw many marshals and the commandos there, so didn't go up. -_- Wonder this Thursday can go up or not?

Thanks all for leaving some comments.

Feel free to criticise and give suggestions. That's how we can continue to improve.

Thanks in advance.

Now they have a mat for the guns to be rolled and deployed over. Didn't have that back when i did it in 2004. Good idea too, especially with all the mud. I still remember we had to paint the wheels...

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Interesting perspective.

I went down the stairs from Sheares Bridge to Marina Bay to take a look and the area there was cordoned off by construction work barricades and also by SAF (for NDP). Quite a mess there and I was told by a helpful SAF guy that it's now almost impassible to Marina South because of the massive construction going on and muddy grounds.

For those cannons, I had some difficulty in composing them as the angle and shooting height was limited when the only place to shoot from was from the Sheares bridge above.

Tried zooming in but didn't appear good in the frame.

Now still wondering how to shoot them better. I missed shooting them when they were fired because it was so loud that I had to cover my ears as the whole bridge shook.

way better than the last series. I guess location does matter.

Light condition was better than the NDP Preview and the location was better for taking these shots. Moreover, after the NDP Preview, I now have a better idea of the timing and sequence of events and this helps in preparing the appropriate camera settings (e.g. shutter speed desired).

I seldom take candid shots and am therefore very poor in that. Will try some candid on NDP when I expect a huge crowd along Marina Bay.

You were allowed to go up there? The authority never stop you? I wanted to go there and shoot too, but saw many marshals and the commandos there, so didn't go up. -_- Wonder this Thursday can go up or not?

When did you try going up there?

It was closed whenever there was fireworks (during a rehearsal and Preview).

Last Saturday wasn't a full dress rehearsal for everything. No fireworks, no paratroopers and I think at least some performances were not in their costumes.

For this coming Thursday's NDP, I think definitely not allowed to go up there because there will be fireworks from the bridge.

thanks for sharing the nice picture :thumbsup:
:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.