ND Filters, square or screw on type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splutter

Dec 28, 2003
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
Hi guys, I've been taking quite a lot of landscapes lately and I really thought the use of some ND filters might help in improving exposures and increasing DOF. The question is, I have yet to purchase a really wide lens and hence have yet to really settled on a fixed lens diameter. I was considering between the cokin square type or the common screw on filters. Which type of filters normally give better results and have more versatility? I'm very new to such filters and hope some gurus out here can advice me on which type is more suitable. Thanks!!! :D

Not sure what you mean in improving exposures with ND filters? Unless you want a low shuttle speed with narrow depth of filed during a Sunny 16 condition, than ND filters may be helpful. Another filter is useful for landscape subjects is gradual ND filters, Btw polarizing filter is a must, sometime can use as a ND filter.

If getting one size filter for all lenses is what you want, than try to get the bigger size and use with a step-down ring.
IMHO, if you want gradual ND filters, best is get the Cokin type, others that this, glass filter give you better quality.

Hope this help.

Yup, I ws thinking of lower shutter speeds with high aperture values, esp for scenes with moving water ;p

I would prefer screw type, but those with big thread sizes are really expensive, and some step down adapters are really hard to find.

ND filters are used to reduce light. Its uses fall on two main categories

1 To reduce contrast between the sky and foreground, For this purpose a slot in filter is superior because the "horizon" between the high and low values are not necessarily right in the centre as is often set in a screw in type.

2 Depth of field is a function more of the aperture, rather then brightness. Of course in a very bright day, even stopping down to the smallest aperture may be not be able to produce a very slow shutter speed to create a "milky effect" in the waters. This can be solved partially by using a slower film. But is not, a ND filter can help. In this respect, there is no difference between a slot in and a screw on.

But the slot in is more versatile.

Gradual ND filter is for reduce contrast between sky and foreground in landscape scenic, Cokin slot in type work butter.

If you want to cut down light for captured water movement, normal ND filter is fine, but before you buy this ND filter, do you have a PL filter(will cut down 1 ½ stops to 2 stops) to try it first? Or try to shoot at lowest ISO and f22?

Status
Not open for further replies.