Nature Conservation: Saving the Harlequin

Bluesteel

Jul 27, 2005
Subsequent to this post on "Saving the Harlequin" at Macro section "Sharing a few Butterflies" thread , we did not sit idly by and watch the demise of this butterfly.

Saving The Harlequin

These two individuals could very well be the last generation of the recently rediscovered Harlequin in the wild as their habitat is threaten by development.

Taxila haquinus haquinus (Harlequin) Male

2007_10_10_IMG_2168.jpg

Taxila haquinus haquinus (Harlequin) Female
2007_10_09_IMG_1707.jpg

Somewhere near the CCA
2007_10_09_IMG_1767.jpg

2007_10_09_IMG_1763.jpg

Bluesteel

After being absent from the main Island of Singapore for almost 20 years , The Harlequin was rediscovered in Apr 06, due to the small numbers and localized nature of this butterfly, and the possible threat of development of the site, ButterflyCircle had initiated a conservation plan to relocate/propagate the butterfly.

Subsequently its hostplant was identified and the life cycle of the species from eggs to adult butterfly was recorded. Since the rediscovery, regular visits were conducted to monitor the colony and study its habitat to understand this species better.

Suitable sites with similar hostplants were scouted and surveyed for the relocation plan. A batch of the adults was relocated on June 07, however for some reason they did not produce any offspring at the relocated site. With the discovery of the imminent destruction of their habitat, it prompted us to launch our immediate action plan to save the species.

The plan entails conserving the species by breeding and relocate them to suitable sites for their continual survival. Many hours and much effort have been spent combing the site since 9th Oct 07 to locate and evacuate eggs and adults for the breeding program. We were lucky and managed to have a few pairs of this butterfly.

This is the first attempt on breeding this Riodininae species, and there is no information available on the subject, hence some efforts were directed at formulating the housing, feeding ,care and egg laying of the butterflies.

The species is not a nectar feeder, they are often observed feeding on microscopic substance on leaf surface, nevertheless, after close observations and some trials , a formula for feeding the adults was established and that keep them happy and alive. In return they had rewarded us with a number of eggs.

I am glad to report that from these harvested eggs:

The first batch of approx 80 Harlequin caterpillars have reached 3-4th instar in the hands of ButterflyCircle Members .

and

A local organization, roped in to assist in this project and supplied with a batch of eggs, is now breeding 60-80 caterpillars at the 2nd-3rd instar.

some of the caterpillars

2007_10_17_IMG_2794.jpg

When we have sufficient numbers , the Harlequin will be released onto selected sites .This is our small effort and contribution to saving this rare Lycaenidae.

I Will provide timely update and its progress on this Save the Harlequin Project

Cheers!

Good effort by bluesteel and butterfly circle.......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

from the bottom of my heart, i applaud bro BlueSteel n the saviours form Butterfly Circle. u guys really made a difference! :thumbsup:

bro BlueSteel, looking forward to more gd shots of butterflies from u!

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement!

Cheers!

Great contribution to butterfly circle.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks to you guys, we may be able to see or photograph some of these beauties... ;)

I am very moved by the effort put in to conserve the species. :thumbsup:

Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hooray!

Good work, Bluesteel!

Thank you all for the encouragement on the Save the Harlequin Project.

As promised here is an update on the progress .

Update :

The first batch of eggs laid by the evacuee from the site, after baby sitting the caterpillars for close to 17 days since they emerged , has just pupated.

We hope to see these pupae turning into adults and breed them for more offspring for our first release targeted in 7weeks time.

Here are some of the 80+ pupae which should turn into beautiful adults in a week's time for further breeding.

2007_11_02_IMG_3638.jpg

2007_11_02_IMG_3639.jpg

2007_11_02_IMG_3645.jpg

cheers!

Wonderful...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Butterflies of Singapore Blog has been created to announce new finds of Butterflies in Singapore and Butterfly Conservation Projects by ButterflyCircle.

Part I of the Save the Harlequin Project has been posted , timely update of the project will be added to inform those who are interested on this project and its progress .

Butterflies of Singapore: Saving the Harlequin.

Cheers!

I am starting a Sticky Thread here on efforts by our photographers to help nature conservation, thru photography.

The first items here will be the "Save the Harlequin" Article By Bluesteel.

Members are encourage to post any articles or effort in nature conservation here.

Peng Eik ,

Thank You for creating a Sticky on Nature Conservation!:)

Slaam ,

Thanks for the the encouragement!

:cheers!