National Service Recognition Award : National Day Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenieadi

Mar 12, 2006
Jurong West
While I was switching back and forth between the Rally speech & the Belgian F1, one point that really caught my interest is the National Service Recognition Award.

"NSmen will get $9,000 each in a move to show that Singapore citizens come first. Only NSmen who are citizens will be eligible for the award, which will be distributed in tranches."

Does it includes those NSman now classified as under MR (Mindef Reserve) like myself that went through a 13-year cycle instead of the current 10-year for NSmen? Like thousands others, we serve our country without fail, hope we are not forgotten and be left out.

Hopefully in the next few days more info will be made available. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
:bsmilie: Ask Mindef? For what? :bsmilie:

This not about NS matters, more of a government initiative. Those having account for NS portal can check out for us though.

I guess more details will come up from today papers. Anyway heard from CNA newscasters it's for NSmen education and housing. I already bought a home, maybe get a degree (part-time) that I pass up due to having a family?

Last edited:
Hmmm, hate to answer my own question but after reading the ST looks like it's more for current active & future NSmen.

""The money will serve 2 purpose, to help NSmen pay for their subsequent education, and 2nd, help them buy a house.

The amount will be paid into their Post-Secondary Education Accounts and their CPF accounts ....paid out at "major milestones" of an average Sporean male's service, which comprises of a 2-year Full-time, and then a 10-year reservist period."

Anyway, more details will come tommorrow.

Last edited:
Need to know more about how it can be "spent", or if it is actually a "right pocket to left pocket" kind of policy.

Really????? Then I'm glad that they kept delaying my MR. :bsmilie:

Now I can start thinking my $9k worth of wishlist. :bsmilie:

i really hope that they stop giving out money. it will mean that in the future the education fee and housing price will also increase.
sioa life getting harder in singapore

Virtual money, we'll never get to hold it physically.

Anyway, it means that prices are going up.

iirc, everytime they announce $$ to be given out in the rally speech, somethings must go up. no free lunch here lar, after so many years, dont tell me u guys still dont get it.

Virtual money, we'll never get to hold it physically.

Anyway, it means that prices are going up.

iirc, everytime they announce $$ to be given out in the rally speech, somethings must go up. no free lunch here lar, after so many years, dont tell me u guys still dont get it.

Unfortunately, I think you guys are right. :( Left pocket, right pocket.

I don't mind if it's an "advance money" for me if I could use it to get a local degree. Could have been a good investment oppurtunity to upgrade my career. At least can help reduce the total cost of the degree.

But sianz, not for ppl like me I guess.

GE coming. time to let the carrots out. :bsmilie:

left pocket to right pocket. Give $9K, sounds nice only. Won't get to even touch it.

Hmmm, hate to answer my own question but after reading the ST looks like it's more for current active & future NSmen.

""The money will serve 2 purpose, to help NSmen pay for their subsequent education, and 2nd, help them buy a house.

The amount will be paid into their Post-Secondary Education Accounts and their CPF accounts ....paid out at "major milestones" of an average Sporean male's service, which comprises of a 2-year Full-time, and then a 10-year reservist period."

Anyway, more details will come tommorrow.

I wonder if the $9,000 applies only to those who goes to local U or those going to private schools or even overseas studies?

And buy house I got a feeling it's only for HDB flats.

So in short, will it be left pocket out right pocket in?

$9k in, $9k out. better than $0 in, $9k out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.