National Geographic "The Photographs"


Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
41
shashinki.com
#1
Anyone has this book?



http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-5126198-4958518?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I am thinking of getting this book, but don't have a source to preview it before buying. So, hope to hear opinion from you guys who have this book. Worth buying? The price is quite high...so don't wanna regret buying.

The front page photo caught my eyes when I first saw it...and has been thinking of getting this book for a long time...and now finally the "action"...but still wanna hear view from you guys...

Thanks.
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#4
Hi

the book is good. Buy it :devil:

it doesn't teach you how to shoot though, ie techniques if that's wat u're looking for.

it tells u about national geographic photographers, (with profiles of the more well known personalities), wat goes on in their mind when they shoot, how they come across their famous shots, their asssignment trials and tribulations etc.

the book is also a collection of all the best pictures (the famous ones seem to be all there)....... it also talks about the pictures as well, in particular relation to how the photographer visualise them, overcame difficulties in making them...

Here and there you find tidbits of interesting info eg politics between photographers and editors - including the famous story of how William Albert Allard pissed the editors off so much by objecting to their selection of pictures and layout (hmm.......reminds me of Eugene W.Smith) that he didn't get another assignment from the GeoGraphic for the next 3 years............

a bit of the book also talk about how photographers cope with family life (or the lack of one), divorces, family problems, etc etc etc......

it has as much words as pictures, so this is not your typical coffee table book. If you don't like reading u probably will not enjoy it that much.
 

Mystix

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
741
0
0
38
Planet Earth
Visit site
#7
juz to let u know i think i saw it juz this wk at kinokuniya parco bugis junction. hope this helps ;)
 

Mystix

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
741
0
0
38
Planet Earth
Visit site
#9
nope..didn't check out the price coz i was actually looking for another bk. but i think should be quite ex coz its pretty thick if i rem correctly
 

Digipix

New Member
Aug 28, 2002
444
0
0
Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
#10
Originally posted by Mystix
nope..didn't check out the price coz i was actually looking for another bk. but i think should be quite ex coz its pretty thick if i rem correctly
Thick? Hmm... so it's worth buying! :D
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#11
haha no coffee table book is going to beat a ultra-slim 77mm CPL... and any decent accessory costs alike...
 

zOOm

New Member
May 23, 2002
237
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#12
How about considering buying the above DVD too

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...&xid=27698&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=46373

'Poignant and provocative...'—TV Guide. Now, get to know the unforgettable people behind the cameras. And find out what it's like to travel, explore and "get the shot" on assignment with the celebrated photographers of National Geographic. And discover the remarkable talent required to take pictures that make history, as you gain a fascinating new perspective on the world through the eyes of THE PHOTOGRAPHERS.
SPECIAL FEATURES:

Bonus Program: A Passion for Africa Photo Gallery; Photographer Biographies Scene Access

THE ONLY TROUBLE HERE IS:- NOT AVAILABLE FOR SHIPMENT OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA. :(
 

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
41
shashinki.com
#13
Thanks, guys! I already bought the book. Manage to find a 2nd hand one at good price. The books is more about human...most photographs tell u human site...or related to human.

The book is big size. The writing inside is a bit hard to follow (pic and writing not tally in same page). The photos inside are big. Some blow to two page big size (the book is BIG).

If I were to spend S$70+ for this book (amazon+shipping), then I would say no, but I pay less than that...so is a good buy and good book to keep in my collection. :)

(I love to read and collect good books...even comics! I can browse them anytime I want...and flip to my desire page easily. If I were to use a computer or TV to read a book...I would rather not reading. Computer/screen will/can never replace paper/book).
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#14
Originally posted by zOOm
How about considering buying the above DVD too

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...&xid=27698&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=46373

'Poignant and provocative...'—TV Guide. Now, get to know the unforgettable people behind the cameras. And find out what it's like to travel, explore and "get the shot" on assignment with the celebrated photographers of National Geographic. And discover the remarkable talent required to take pictures that make history, as you gain a fascinating new perspective on the world through the eyes of THE PHOTOGRAPHERS.
SPECIAL FEATURES:

Bonus Program: A Passion for Africa Photo Gallery; Photographer Biographies Scene Access

THE ONLY TROUBLE HERE IS:- NOT AVAILABLE FOR SHIPMENT OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA. :(
i got this as well :)
had it shipped over here from Amazon.com........it's a simple process....
 

zOOm

New Member
May 23, 2002
237
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#15
reddawn,
thanks thanks, I should have tried amazon.
btw, what's your rating of this DVD out of the scale of 5?

thanks once again ....

Originally posted by Red Dawn


i got this as well :)
had it shipped over here from Amazon.com........it's a simple process....
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom