My Videos - Learng and Making Them

Depending on the quality of the faders, they might degrade image quality a bit. In most cases, images with a fader are less sharp.

I've had a few myself bought from Hong Kong, they're the same ones you see around eBay for $40+ now. Don't use them anymore, looking to sell them.

Sometimes I magnify in to set the focus but it's so soft I can't get a sharp focal point.

One day when I earn back the cost of one expensive fader, I'll definitely get one recommended by Philip Bloom. Can check out his website to see what he recommended.

Last edited:
wow u guys drive up uh.

Bro hamanoshun>>> Bro, your point I will take note. I am using Hercules ND Fader. Cost me $70.00SGD. My friend do recommended me to invest in Hoya HD Polariser filter, the same one as Phillip Bloom is using. It cost $355.00SGD. Maybe later on, down the road, I might get it. About sharpness, I found out that there is this "layer" that I need to merge and it is tedious. In the end, I just use autofocus and I take the queue from my camera. Anyway, I am going to put more mileage into my "trainings" and equipments. I have spent enough. Time to get dirty. Thanks a million for sharing. I really appreciate it.

Bro eleveninth>>> Yupz. We drove up. 2730km round trip back to Singapore. It was a good drive up.

I did my own testings.
- Without the ND Fader, I have to click F16 at 1/125 in order to get the clouds in the sunny day. With the ND Fader, my aperture maintained at F3.5 at 1/125. I can get the clouds and the sky. SUPERBZ !!
- Another difference that I took note is that with ND Fader, the blue colour in the sky is more vibrant compared to not using ND Fader.

Last edited:
bro where u bot the LCW ND fader? Keen on one too... What sizes they have?

Thx bro!

Hercules and LCW same meh?

anyway my LCW fader is ver 1 and i got it on ebay, cos last time sg no sell.

now i think mass sales have a few sellers.

Bro sprockett>>> I got my Hercules ND Fader filter from sgcamerastore. The LCW you got to order online (I think).

bro for the sky that is blue vibrant - are u using the Hercules Fader ?

evilways>>> Yes Bro. I used the Hercules ND Fader and I clicked upwards to about 5 stops. That's when they filter out the glare from the sun. It surely saves a lot of time and easy!! Superbz!! If you go to my Koh Samui video, at 03:10, it is a very good example. I did not edit the photo in the video.

Thanks Bro evilways I will head down to sgcamerastore soon to check out the LCW. WOo Hoo !!

Last edited:
LATEST 30th APRIL 2012

Great Wooden Planking !!

[youtubehd]SYT5bLdtCfU[/youtubehd]

Couple of weeks back, I watched Philip Bloom's Great Wooden Boat. I was moved and inspired to do something similar.

For a week or so, I planned my shots and did some reading up on framing and audio recording. Plus, I have been wanting so much to test out my Samyang 35mm lens. It did not disappoint me.

So I asked my friend whether can I do a video project about his carpenters. He said ok. I was so happy.

The shoot itself had its challenges. Limited materials, working space and audio recording. Nevetheless, it was a good exposure and learning for me. It was good that I have planned what I want to shoot. I did minimize time wasting while trying to figure out new shots with what I had to work with.

Do drop a few comments or pointers. If you guys feel want to go out of line when dropping a few lines, please do.

Shot :
- 1/125 and F1.4~F5.6 with ISO 160 ~ ISO 2500
- Samyang 35mm lens
- Canon 50mm lens
- Canon 18-135mm lens
- Fotocrane Lite
- Konova Slider
- Rode Video Mic mono

Hope you guys enjoy the video.

5th May 2012

A local paintball team asked me to help them out with a video. I thought why not ? I need to practise and explore.

Seniors, SHOOT ME !!!

[youtubehd]aWHJ-vf5ank[/youtubehd]

I was practising and trying out the settings on my Zoom H4N. The settings that I did :-
- Mic level at 68%
- Output level at 60%

I think it sounds better than my audio for the previous video.

Last edited:
Nice use of CineSkates, no handshake and very smooth.

I'm new to DSLR video recording, and have a few questions:

1. Understand that PAL (50 or 25fps) are for TV format in Asia. But if I set my DSLR video recording to NTSC (60 or 30 fps), does that mean that there will be a incompatibility issue with my video on my home TV?

2. For this video, did you use auto or manual exposure?

3. If you used manual exposure, what is the recommended FPS, shutter speed, ISO and aperture did you use for this video?

27th March 2012 - Dragon Naga

Hi People,

I bought a CineSkates. Went out to do some test shots.

This time, I was trying to shoot it flat and try to do more in post. I guess, I still got a lot to learn.

Shoot mode : Sharp - all the way to the left. Contrast - all the way to the left. Saturation - One click to the left. Neutral mode.
Lens : 18-135mm
Camera : Canon 60D
Others : CineSkates and not forgetting a smooth wooden plank.

CineSkates
- Love the product.
- Very portable and less carrying space.
- Flexible (JoliPod) and sturdy (depending on your camera set-up )
- The only set back is you need a really smooth surface, if not, all your shots will be bumpy.

I do welcome comments, feedbacks, pointers, tips and even scrutinizations (hope I spelt it correctly).

[youtubehq]U9U0CqPOaBM[/youtubehq]

frozentomtom>>> I am also new to videography. I will try my best to help you out. My answers solely based on the experiences on the Dragaon Naga video shoot.

1. Understand that PAL (50 or 25fps) are for TV format in Asia. But if I set my DSLR video recording to NTSC (60 or 30 fps), does that mean that there will be a incompatibility issue with my video on my home TV?
>>> Honestly, I did not pay attention until your question. I have been shooting on PAL. I would try it out on NTSC and see what happens. So far, all my videos I am able to play it on TV without any problems EXCEPT the colours. My this video looks kinda bad on my LED TV but not on my LCD TV. The reddish/orange turns out to be bright and offset.
Things to take note :
- For TV, it has to be at least 24 frames per second or higher
- For TV, your colour broadcast has to be within the 75% limit. I am using Premiere Pro CS5.5
- For TV, if you are doing TV Commercial, I believe you need to convert to BETA format for transmission, which I have no idea about it.

2. For this video, did you use auto or manual exposure?
>>> For videography there is no auto exposure. You have to set it manually for your video shoot. For this video shoot, these are my settings :-
- ISO 320 - ISO 640
- F3.5 - F5.6
- Kelvin presets for my white balance
- 1/125 shutter speed
- 50 frames per second
For this shoot, I was meddling and playing around with my ISO settings, Shutter speed and Frames rate to allow more light into my 60D. Not forgetting, I was shooting at :-
- Neutral
- Sharpness ~ I click all the way to the left
- Saturation ~ I click all the way to the left

3. If you used manual exposure, what is the recommended FPS, shutter speed, ISO and aperture did you use for this video?
I have answer this question above. I would like to share this recommendations (based on my reading up on the internet and videos that I have watched) would be :-
- Once you set your frame rate, you have to go 180deg for your shutter speed. Meaning if you are shooting at 24p, your shutter speed has to 1/50 (there is no 1/48). I have ever shot at higher shutter speed at 1/2000 (I think), so that when I slow mo in post, it won't have much a motion blur.
- Once you have set your frame rate and your shutter speed, this is FIXED (General rule), so you can't adjust it. The only two parameters that you can adjust would be your aperture and ISO settings. Adjust to your likings.
- Best ISO Settings would be in multiples of 160; Followed by multiples of 125; Followed by multiples of 100
- For FPS, if normal video shoot, I usually shoot at 25FPS. For paintball I shoot at 50FPS. Soon, I will try to capture paintball in 60FPS for better and smooth slow-mo actions.
- Try not to get overexposed shots because you will lose the details. If you can watch some of my paintball videos here, there are some clips that overexposed until it is an eyesore. No matter how much I bring down the highlights or reduce the brightness, I already lost some details on the paintball bunkers.

I hope I have helped you in any way I can.

I believe this brother could help you out and make you understand better as I did.

>>> Exposure Triangle <<<

better to under than over.

frozentomtom>>> Bro, you can actually record movie in Auto Movie Exposure. Here is the video. You can only darken or lighten the video shoot. If it is in Manual Movie Exposure, you have control over the shutter speed, aperture and iso settings. :)

[youtubehd]-jXAYt1BVqM?t=2m3s[/youtubehd]

19th May 2012

Pre-wedding shoot. My first attempt at pre-wedding shoot.

Enjoy !!

[youtubehd]kVF6kP1t9Uo[/youtubehd]

thumbs up!

got mood ... even though i don't understand the words ... still got goosebumps (good tie-in via image and sound)

Thanks pettypoh. I got my inspirations from Thailand Emotional TV Commercials and our local MCYS TV commercials by Yasmin Ahmad. :)

" In my eyes, I still could see clearly, your smile.
In my mind, I still could remember clearly, holding your hands.
In my ears, I still could hear clearly, your soothing voice. "

- This is what the couple gave me, their love story. I was trying to be poetic with it. Hahahhaha.

" You would be mine forever "
- The last sentence at the end.

Last edited:
frozentomtom>>> I am also new to videography. I will try my best to help you out. My answers solely based on the experiences on the Dragaon Naga video shoot.

1. Bro, Wow!!!!! Many thanks for the detail writeup, much appreciated, will check it out. :)

2. As for the "180deg for your shutter speed" rule, on a bright sunny day, if I shoot at 24fps, shutter speed at 1/50, the video would be overexposed. I'm thinking to get a ND filter, either Hoya ND4, ND8 or ND16, which would be more versatile? which you recommend?

3. Did you use ND filters for that video or other videos?

Last edited: