my tamron 17-50mm not sharp ! help ! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJelly

Oct 28, 2008
hi srry all bros,

I hav to open this thread again cuz i still find problem with this lens. I found that front focus problem not obvious in near close up portrait shots, but obvious in a bit far position. I hav shots many photos. All turned out OOF on target and focus on front objects. Take a look at below photo. I focused on the conductor but lens focused on speaker in front. Can't f2.8 be used on far objects?

I gonna send this lens for servicing. But b4 that, i want to make sure problem is with the lens but not my way of shooting.

Plz advise. :(

this one my focus was on pink lady. Instead, lens focused on the guy in front.

Last edited:
Let Uncle Photobum suggests you to sell it lah....

Now you say it is not sharp. Last week you mentioned it was sharp. Three weeks ago you claimed it wasn't sharp. So much headache.... The time and effort you have wasted is not worth your concern on this lens anymore.

By the way, servicing it may make matters worse.

For your information, only a newbie will shoot wide at the lens' largest aperture and expect perfect sharpness every time (this is a hint to you, my friend ;)). If I am to shoot the above two images, I will use either f5.6 or f8. Just push up the ISO if you find yourself losing shutter speed.

Last edited:
For your information, only a newbie will shoot wide at the lens' largest aperture and expect perfect sharpness every time (this is a hint to you, my friend ;)). If I am to shoot the above two images, I will use either f5.6 or f8. Just push up the ISO if you find yourself losing shutter speed.
bro, i just expect sharpness on target, not the whole scene which is why i use f2.8. I do know I need to use above f5 for perfect sharpness.

looks like a faulty lens!!! sell it off and get 18-200VR

well alrite. I will think of selling after servicing. Otherwise, buyer will come back and scold at me....not sharp this and that...and for cheating his/her hard-earned money. :cry:

bro, i just expect sharpness on target, not the whole scene which is why i use f2.8. I do know I need to use above f5 for perfect sharpness.

You can achieve your so-called "sharpness on target" (I called it selective focus) even at f5.6. Try shooting at smaller aperture before you service your lens to see if problem still occurs.

I suspect it's not the lens. It is extremely uncommon to have have front focusing so far off.
If that should be the rare case, you should have found out during lens tests before you bought it.
From the photos, the focused points look very much like the camera was doing the focusing (auto focusing points).
It would be useful if you can provide details on how the pictures were taken.

I similarly do not suspect the lens..its too far OFF.

Jelly, how about when you focus manually?
Have you shown your camera to someone familiar with a DSLR?
Perhaps you should set your camera back to default settings?

Last edited:
I suspect it's not the lens. It is extremely uncommon to have have front focusing so far off.
If that should be the rare case, you should have found out during lens tests before you bought it.
From the photos, the focused points look very much like the camera was doing the focusing (auto focusing points).

I agree.
He probably let the camera decide where to focus automatically and ended up with such problems.

Hi. I have similar problem with similar lens. Shooting widest at f/2.8 results in OOF.

Workaround: zoom in 50mm, get and hold focus. While holding focus by half press zoom out to 18mm. It works for me.

Something wrong with my lens?

Hi. I have similar problem with similar lens. Shooting widest at f/2.8 results in OOF.

Workaround: zoom in 50mm, get and hold focus. While holding focus by half press zoom out to 18mm. It works for me.

Takes too long to take a shot using this method though.. Should not be the case. :dunno:

Erm are you mixing up DOF and sharpness? at 50mm u will have a shallower DOF compared to 17mm.

I am using d90. Previously was using d70. But both cam gave me same results. So i dont think it's camera problem.

my setting was AF-area mode set to Single Point. used centre focus point. So, how can auto focusing happen?

I havnt shown to anyone.

I agree.
He probably let the camera decide where to focus automatically and ended up with such problems.
Which settings should i set not to let auto focus happen?

If any bro can spare a few minutes, can help me out check this lens outside? I can come down to ur place. :)

Erm are you mixing up DOF and sharpness? at 50mm u will have a shallower DOF compared to 17mm.

bro, even though DOF is shallow at 50mm, aren't we supposed to get that shallow DOF on focus area?

In my case as u can see, it's totally out. Focus was on the conductor, but instead, it was on speakers below.

bro, even though DOF is shallow at 50mm, aren't we supposed to get that shallow DOF on focus area?

In my case as u can see, it's totally out. Focus was on the conductor, but instead, it was on speakers below.

Bro. i was referring to tiosun's replies. :D as for your case. it sounds too serious maybe you would like to do a focusing test and update us on the result?

focus test was done earlier in previous thread.

below photos just taken. Target very OOF. No pp. All directly out of cam.

my focus was on the branch hanging down from tree in centre. But the result is not there.

focus was on Stop. it looks soft and not sharp.

focus was on blue signboard. result not sharp and soft also.

manual focus by my hand on blue signboard. result not sharp also.

focus was on bins. result not sharp, and soft.

I was just wondering do you have a filter attached infront of your lens? Some filters degrade the IQ

The problem with these photos is that:
(a) they are too small to judge the differences
(b) there are no Exif data attached which can help us understand how you took them

Also, you should not have front or back focusing problems if you are manually focusing the 4th image. Perhaps the images are not sharp because of handshake? :dunno:

I was just wondering do you have a filter attached infront of your lens? Some filters degrade the IQ

Lens hav vitacon filter in front. Even if it degrade IQ, focus should still be there. In my case, focus off.

The problem with these photos is that:
(a) they are too small to judge the differences
(b) there are no Exif data attached which can help us understand how you took them

Also, you should not have front or back focusing problems if you are manually focusing the 4th image. Perhaps the images are not sharp because of handshake? :dunno:

bro, u can click on image. that will lead to image on imageshack. Click on it again. That will lead to original size.

There is Exif data attached. I hav checked on downloaded image from imageshack.

image not sharp due to handshake? very unlikely in these photos cuz shutter speeds are around 1/640. U can see in Exif data. Use Opanda iExif software.

Status
Not open for further replies.