My "Photojournalism" Take On Chinese Opera, Festival

Hi guys

decided to share my shots here as well. Previously posted in the Rangefinder & Compacts. Thought I might as well posted here since its a relevant shoot as well? Hope it isnt too much spamming...

The Nine Emperor Gods Festival (Chinese: 九皇爺; pinyin: Jiǔhuángyé; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Káu-ông-iâ; Cantonese: Kow Wong Yeh) is a nine-day Taoist celebration beginning on the eve of 9th lunar month of the Chinese calendar, which is observed primarily in Southeast Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand, and also the Riau Islands.
More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Emperor_Gods_Festival

Chinese opera (Chinese: 戏曲/戲曲; Pinyin: xìqǔ) is a popular form of drama and musical theatre in China with roots going back as far as the third century CE. There are numerous regional branches of Chinese opera, of which the Beijing opera (Jingju) is one of the most notable.
More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_opera

I saw the stage being set up as I was on the way to work on the train in the morning, rushed down after work just to shoot all these!

It was a rewarding experience! At first, I was afraid that the performers would be unfriendly to photographers but instead, when I asked if I could take some pictures, they invited me up the back stage to capture all these lovely moments.

This Chinese Opera Troupe is made up of a few old ladies. There were kind enough to allow me to shoot despite the busy movements in the backstage.
The sweet old ladies even bought me ice cream as a treat as I was shooting & gave me plenty of sweets! Such awesome hospitality! I was shocked!

I spoke to one of them, Chinese Opera is a dying art in modern Singapore, as the younger generation like myself are not keen on it as an art. They only earned SGD40 per day but there were no complains because to these old folks, they love being on stage entertaining the crowd & it was a hobby to them.

To them, they are just performers whom entertain old folks in the audience. To me, they are artists. Performing a slowly dying art in Singapore that would be lost should no younger generations pick this up. I hope by taking these pictures, I can share the art form of Chinese Opera which is an ancient art.

After 2 years ++ of shooting crap, I would say, these are decent first coverage that I've done & I'm proud of compared to the other nonsense & rubbish I usually shoot....

Cheers & I hope you guys enjoy these pictures, it was quite a challenge shooting backstage as the stray lights were causing my rangefinder patch to flare quite a lot

All on:
Kodak Tri-X 400 pushed to 1600
HC-110, Solution B, 20degs, 16mins.
Scanned on Canon 8800F, no post processing done, just cropping of film edges.
Konica Hexar RF, Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM / M39

5064554939_703167cce4.jpg

5064557565_b0515273d0.jpg

5065175654_894be2031d.jpg

5065186140_20e0a35e0d.jpg

5065188446_220d772e91.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice images here :)

I'm just curious, what exactly do you mean by "photojournalism take" though?

5065572338_00c8fc469e.jpg

i like this shot. it is like many stories are going inside this shot.

Good job and coverage. Yes pls do take more of these.

Surprise they are friendly. It is great to be on the back stage. Always fascinated by Singapore operas but they looks fierce, hahaha maybe is because of the make up of villains characters.

Always want to try on Chinese Opera show. Where's this place actually?

My friend is inviting me to Upper Serangoon Road, Hougang Tao Mu Temple there later, wonder I can get similar shots...

Nice work! :thumbsup: i like the contrast.

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Took this one at Eunos, just outside the MRT on a makeshift stage.

Sorry for the delay in replies, just came back from reservist :sweat:

Was actually shooting this to test my "newly" acquired lens, Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM / M39 rangefinder screw mount. Its amazing what a made in 1957 lens can do.

Just one of the reasons you don't need the latest gear to take the best pictures

Last edited: