My newbie macro shoot @ Bt PJ park

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzr500abe

Mar 19, 2005
Your comments and critics are wanted.

Hi all, i've juz gotten some shots on ants and aphids. Somehow i feel something is still lagging in the photos, will need the experts here to help point out the short comings.

#1 Preys abundant
PA101921PS1.jpg

#2 Double team
PA101924ps1.jpg

#3 Predator
PA101925ps1.jpg

#4 Stranded
PA101926ps1.jpg

#5 How come I can't see you?
PA101932PS1.jpg

Try increasing depth of field by increasing f stop number.

Colour saturation seems fine.

i was using F/5.6 1/250 ISO 100. What is the recommended setting to use?

For macro shots, try the time tested 1/60sec if hand held. Set f stop to 11 and above, if using SLR; if P&S, set to highest, usually f8. of course must use flash, preferably not built-in flash for SLR.

oh my gawd....i was doing the wrong stuff ah..:eek:

if shot at shutter speed of 1/60 , sekali my hands not steady enuff how? Actually i did tried 1/60 but have gotten blurry images due to wind and shaky hands. :dunno:

Next time i'll try f/8 or f/11. Thanks :thumbsup:

Nik-enduser said:
For macro shots, try the time tested 1/60sec if hand held. Set f stop to 11 and above, if using SLR; if P&S, set to highest, usually f8. of course must use flash, preferably not built-in flash for SLR.
May I know what is wrong with built-in flash?

ortega said:
May I know what is wrong with built-in flash?

From my limited knowledge, the light from the internal flash will not be able to reach the subject if your working distance is very close...let's say 5cm.

depends on setup too,don't use hood as flash tend to get cut off.
Not sure if correct term to use.
The only othere reason being built in flash too harsh,need a diffuser.:dunno:

i like all the shots,the colour :thumbsup:
Try use higher f-stop to see the result,i also wonder if i'm the only one seeing pixelise images.Or is it my moniter.

zaxh81 said:
i like all the shots,the colour :thumbsup:
Try use higher f-stop to see the result,i also wonder if i'm the only one seeing pixelise images.Or is it my moniter.

I see pixelised images too....i wonder why...it doesn't look that bad when i processed it.
Could it be due to resizing? Due to the file size quota in CS gallery i resized the iamges from 640*480 (over 100kb) to 480*360 (abt 40 kb)

This time round, I'll be using 640*480 images but auto sized to 500*375 in flickr, hope it looks better.

#1 Preys abundant
52157154_f1048b7a28.jpg

#2 Double Team
52157157_5dd107a8e6.jpg

#3 Predator
52157158_bd04c2dee4.jpg

#4 Stranded
52157159_24cc0dfe8e.jpg

#5 How come i can't see you
52157160_91aa1ad2d0.jpg

yzr500abe said:
From my limited knowledge, the light from the internal flash will not be able to reach the subject if your working distance is very close...let's say 5cm.
not true, my current setup is with the built-in flash of my D70

want photo samples?

For a good and cheap alternative for flash macro shoots, try using a vivtar ring-flash. It is cheap and gives good well exposed pictures. However, no TTL, have to shoot in manual (i.e. 1/60sec, f20 and larger).

If you are using a D70 and 60 macro, then you will need a step-down ring (62 to 52mm) to fit the ringflash at the front of lens.

ortega said:
not true, my current setup is with the built-in flash of my D70

want photo samples?

Sure ! Would love to see

Not sure ablout D70, but my oly C7070Wz's built in flash will definitely cast a shadow on the subject when i go that close, especially with add-on lens and filters. In fact Oly inhibits the use of flash in Super macro mode...however in macro mode with closeup filter i still get shadows.

I also use C 5060, but mainly use it for underwater shots. Instead of using macro mode, I switch to P or A and zoom in 3/4 and just let the camera take over for focusing. Got some pretty good macro shots that way and with flash too. Not sure about land use though. No harm trying!

Nik-enduser said:
For a good and cheap alternative for flash macro shoots, try using a vivtar ring-flash. It is cheap and gives good well exposed pictures. However, no TTL, have to shoot in manual (i.e. 1/60sec, f20 and larger).

If you are using a D70 and 60 macro, then you will need a step-down ring (62 to 52mm) to fit the ringflash at the front of lens.

how much is the ring flash?
I'm presently using vivitar 285HV

Not sure, a friend passed to me, should be around $100+, very simple flash operating on 2AA cells, just on-off switch and A-M mode switch. Vivitar macroflash 5000. Oh and you would need a sync cord and hotshoe to attache to camera body.

Nik-enduser said:
I also use C 5060, but mainly use it for underwater shots. Instead of using macro mode, I switch to P or A and zoom in 3/4 and just let the camera take over for focusing. Got some pretty good macro shots that way and with flash too. Not sure about land use though. No harm trying!

My friends are using manual focusing...am still practicing on that. Some CS forumers are also experts on this...i like tchuanlye, megaweb...

Yep...have already tried your suggestion on subjects not lesser than 20cm away only (switching to macro mode actually makes focusing faster)

However for short working distance and using non-ttl flash i'll have to switch to M mode to make the Ext flash fire

I LIKE THIS ONE!
but i think it would be better if it was upright and at such an angle that selective focusing will only show a few of the ants milking the aphids..
btw the ants have a mutual help relationship with aphids instead of a predator prey relationship.. the aphids secrete a sugary drink so the ants will leave them alone and might even protect them.
PA101924ps1.jpg

yzr500abe said:
Sure ! Would love to see

Not sure ablout D70, but my oly C7070Wz's built in flash will definitely cast a shadow on the subject when i go that close, especially with add-on lens and filters. In fact Oly inhibits the use of flash in Super macro mode...however in macro mode with closeup filter i still get shadows.
look for my posts in this forum

An oly C7070 that explains it

Status
Not open for further replies.