My first post here ^^ (need lotsa advices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jegelsker

Feb 23, 2009
Ok, below are two of my most recent photos.

Taken using my old trusted G7. Well.. not-so-trusted anymore. It hangs. :(
Anyway, I've been thinking of getting a D-SLR, but not sure if my photography skill is quite there yet. So, this will be more or less to help me decided if i want to jump into D-SLR. Well, i'm a hobby-ist anyway, so.. any comment will be greatly appreciated. :)

3303336535_11c63af67b_o.jpg

This is the headstock of my guitar. Taken with G7, shutter at 2.5 second, aperture 3.5 in a very dim room. Then retouched with photoshop for cropping and saturation.

3304166254_dabbcd5a26_o.jpg

Also part of my guitar. Same setting as above, except i just crop it to remove the parts i don't like.

My first post here ^^. Hehehe.. thanks for viewing guys :D

Last edited:
Hi welcome! Firstly, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94574. Read up on how to post images in the forums.

Secondly, I don't think that anyone's photography skills have to be 'there' so as to own a DSLR. As you said, you're a hobbyist so if budget allows, get yourself a decent DSLR and shoot your way to better shots.

Are you happy with the shots? If yes, there's no need for a DSLR.

First of all...

READ MORE

Do you really need a DSLR? Do you need the manual functions, changeable lenses, and the other functions which a prosumer can't afford?

If so, then go ahead and do your homework on which you'd want.

Just go look thru all the other newbie threads here... PLENTY have been said before.

wah.. i thought by this time, all fellas must have been sleeping. hehehe.. glad that i'm not the only 'batman' here. so anyway, the decision to change or not, will still be made by me. what i expect is.. comments about those two pictures. i'm quite happy with the result, just that.. there's something lacking in there. somehow.. that's what i thought.. just can't quite figure out what's the missing ingredients are. was thinking of posting this in 'Critique' section, but after reading several post, my cold sweat came out. Since i'm a newbie, i guess posting here would be fine :D

So, any thoughts? Thanks in advance :D

First of all, nothing about the pictures scream guitar to me...

they could be anything in the world... :dunno:

And for the 2nd pic, the bright light is very distracting.

a G7 is an awesome prosumer. weird how the pictures came out blur huh. maybe you could increase the light cast on the subjects so that you can take the picture with a faster shutter speed, reducing blurness caused by hand shake.

awesome.. thanks for the input :D

i always find it difficult to judge my own photos, my own music, etc. now that you mention about it, yeah.. it doesn't scream guitar in that sense. the bright light is kinda distracting huh? hm.. any good post-processing technique i can do for such case?

as for the blurry picture, it was because i hold the guitar with my left hand, and the camera with my right. then i'm struggling to get the manual focus right with my right thumb. but anyway, i think this is solve-able with a decently-lite room. thanks for the input :D

Now, wat you'd need to do is to look up how people do their shots... learn something from them, pick up some ideas...

And then SHOOT more.

Test them out, are you able to get a good picture thru other means, placing the camera on a tripod, on a table, etc?? Positioning the subject better, that it can catch better lighting?
Trying it in different times of the day, etc...

Then critique it harshly yourself. And if you think you have something nice, Post more and let us help you along with the critique. But pls post in the correct sub-forum for that. I.e. Abstracts and Still life.

you can always get a DSLR first and learn from it....
a DSLR gives you a lot of area to explore...

Great work! I thought the first picture was a chess set! I just woke up and my mind is still working its way. Ha! Anyway, I figured it was a guitar when I saw the second one. I love the feel, the lights and the shadows.

Don't worry if you are unsure if your 'skill' is there because it doesn't equates that way. If you really wanted so much to get your hands on it, I say you go for it.

Post your pictures in the Critiques. Don't be afraid the criticism will wound your ego. Some comments might not be helpful but just take a pinch of salt from it.

Keep on posting!

:D thanks guys.. for the critiques, supports and compliments ^^.

*looking at buy/self subforums now. LoL*

zac, comments noted ^^.

i'll post more :D (later ~~)

Status
Not open for further replies.