My first DSLR

but TS at first wanted something larger than a 550D :bsmilie:

not good for Canon sales if TS buys a 550D :bsmilie:

Maybe he'll have to start pumping iron :bsmilie:

hmm in that case, coupled together with the 60D, it would be like 1kg?
now i'm considering if i should switch to the 550D..;p

TS.. buy cam body that u comfortable with..
18-135mm is more versatile than kit lens..

the price for cam at IT show is RRP (it give useless? extra gifts tho), u can get better price buying at cam store.

good luck

I will not advice 18-135 but instead 18-55.

Likely will ended up f2.8 lens & sell away 18-135.

Why not start with 18-55 & save for near future upgrade.

I am quite sure this day will arrival soon.

My 2 cents.

woah... 7D is out for me haha.. comparing only those 2 models -> 60D and 550D.

TS.. buy cam body that u comfortable with..
18-135mm is more versatile than kit lens..

the price for cam at IT show is RRP (it give useless? extra gifts tho), u can get better price buying at cam store.

good luck

Sorry for asking, but isn't the 18-135 a kit lens?

littlewhitefox said:

Dependcon the model you are getting. Some models do not offer the 18-135 as a kit lens

Hi ts just go with Wat u find is comfortable. If Ur friends are using canon then go with canon for the convenient. As u guys can share lens if they are using the same type of cam.

Kit Len 18-135 shld be good for a start. Then slowly go for better Len. Haha like me now.. Start with kit Len very happy. Bought a prime 35mmf1.8..

Terry, suggest you start off with a 18-55mm so that you don't have to put up with the 1.2kg. It's no joke hanging that weight around your neck for hours.

You can later invest in a 55-200mm if the need arise :)

Terry, suggest you start off with a 18-55mm so that you don't have to put up with the 1.2kg. It's no joke hanging that weight around your neck for hours.

You can later invest in a 55-200mm if the need arise :)

Thanks. Seems my choice is clear by now. 60D with 18-55mm

I can probably borrow or get a 2nd hand 18-135 from my friends. There are at least 2 or 3 of them who have them.

The difference between the kit 1 (18-55) and kit 2 (18-135) is about $300 which I can save up for future upgrades.

You'll be able to do a lot more with a 18-135 than your Samsung.

You can just snap on a Raynox 250 on your 18-135 and start shooting macro. Cost $120.

Another qn. If i get the 18-55mm, can the lens work with this? Will there be any difference with this on the 18-55 and 18-135?

Hi ts just go with Wat u find is comfortable. If Ur friends are using canon then go with canon for the convenient. As u guys can share lens if they are using the same type of cam.

Kit Len 18-135 shld be good for a start. Then slowly go for better Len. Haha like me now.. Start with kit Len very happy. Bought a prime 35mmf1.8..

it's Lens for singular and Lenses for plural. spell it correctly.

and don't buy a brand just because your friends are using it. it's extremely rare for people to say "hey! take my lens. i don't mind" especially if it's pricey.

Another qn. If i get the 18-55mm, can the lens work with this? Will there be any difference with this on the 18-55 and 18-135?

You will get lower magnification with the 18-55mm.

Picture of 18-55mm with Raynox 250

DSC06177.jpg

Last edited:
Terry, you can also simply screw a +10 HOYA Macro filter onto your 18-55mm. You'll need the following:

1. Step down ring (58mm to 55mm) $10

2. HOYA Macro filter 55mm (2 element) $86

Picture shows a 18-55mm with a HOYA +10 Macro filter

DSC00002-1.jpg

Last edited:
This shot is taken with a 18-55 + Diopter 10 HOYA Macro filter. No cropping and straight from the camera (resized).

DSC09165.jpg

Hi all, thanks for the valuable input. Am now a 60D + 18-55mm owner :)

Hi all, thanks for the valuable input. Am now a 60D + 18-55mm owner :)

congrats! :bsmilie:

you're still a better buyer and clearer about what you want than the s**t-stirrer in the other forum. enjoy your new camera! oh btw,

we have many threads and outings. do join in.