nice :thumbsup:
I like the effect from the boat

tamed merlion
5163751590_8847169f00_z.jpg

daywalker
5163768664_af201b1431_z.jpg

CPL+GND Filters

5142373753_50b9ece262_z.jpg

Shot is under-exposed and suffering from perspective distortion as a result of you tiliting the camera upwards. Can be easily corrected during PP though.

Shot is under-exposed and suffering from perspective distortion as a result of you tiliting the camera upwards. Can be easily corrected during PP though.

thanks for the comment
btw
those perspective distortion was caused by the ultra wide angle and thats the view i like:)

thanks for the comment
btw
those perspective distortion was caused by the ultra wide angle and thats the view i like:)

By perspective distortion I am referring to those buildings tiliting inwards, and I am pretty certain that is not attributed to the ultra wide angle.

To each his own, so long as it appears pleasant to you :)

thanks for the comment
btw

nonsense, perspective distortion is not caused by UWA, it is caused by users.

UWA may suffer from barrel distortion, but that's not key here. that is the only thing it may cause. anything else, is user caused, since you HAVE a choice to keep the camera level.

/reminds self to keep "that's the view i like" as a good excuse for any bad comments i get for photos in future

UWA may suffer from barrel distortion, but that's not key here. that is the only thing it may cause. anything else, is user caused, since you HAVE a choice to keep the camera level.

/reminds self to keep "that's the view i like" as a good excuse for any bad comments i get for photos in future

im not treating comments as bad comments.
ill consider it as a tip. i got some shot with higher angle but this shot has a better exposure than those and this is my choice to post.
theres always a next time so ill shoot better angle. take it lightly :)

thanks for viewing.thanks also for the tips

But is really that wrong to have perspective distortion? Sometimes, it does give the impression of looking up at 'bigness'

But is really that wrong to have perspective distortion? Sometimes, it does give the impression of looking up at 'bigness'

of course not, i had detailed the situations where it is useful in my photoshop processing thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3838320&postcount=2

(page 2)

my point is that here, there is no real use for having perspective distortion. there is no positive purpose achieved, hence you just end up having something that looks like a mistake...

of course not, i had detailed the situations where it is useful in my photoshop processing thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3838320&postcount=2

(page 2)

my point is that here, there is no real use for having perspective distortion. there is no positive purpose achieved, hence you just end up having something that looks like a mistake...

Agree with nightmare. Yes sometimes perspective distortion (when put to good use) does give the impression of looking up at 'bigness', but in this instance it gives me the impression that the buildings are collapsing more than anything else.

Anyway those were just my 2 cents. I wasn't trying to enforce anything or asking TS to agree with me.

i think i dont need to make a good excuse on every comment bad or worse. literally i like the view regardless of exaggerated perspective. thats why i buy that uwa lens for. to compose a dynamic vantage point. im not in to straight normal lines and wont bother staighting everything. i like it rigid and exaggerated. just like mimik said 'To each his own, so long as it appears pleasant to you'

thanks for the tips btw.

cheers

i think i dont need to make a good excuse on every comment bad or worse. literally i like the view regardless of exaggerated perspective. thats why i buy that uwa lens for. to compose a dynamic vantage point. im not in to straight normal lines and wont bother staighting everything. i like it rigid and exaggerated. just like mimik said 'To each his own, so long as it appears pleasant to you'

thanks for the tips btw.

cheers

:bsmilie: ok, whatever floats your boat.

just trying to give constructive comments, but if you're insistent that you like it, then you like it. i'm not here to try to control your photography. given this reply, i think there is no real need to bother to comment on any subsequent threads you have in the future. please post what you like.

have a nice day.

:bsmilie: ok, whatever floats your boat.

just trying to give constructive comments, but if you're insistent that you like it, then you like it. i'm not here to try to control your photography. given this reply, i think there is no real need to bother to comment on any subsequent threads you have in the future. please post what you like.

have a nice day.

who said i dont appreciate your comment.
in fact i learned from it.i saw your flickr and
i got some idea from it.appreciate it very much.

just that your always thinking something in someones thought.

peace bro.

You might not agree but I belong to the school of thought which says if you want distortions in your photos, you have to make them work for you. While I can't say the distortions in this inatance is disconcerting to look at or appear sloppy, they are not working in your favour either. Quite contrary to your intentions of using a UwA for this shot, they can actually be used to minimise or eliminate the distortions altogether. Up to you.

I don't find the Merlion shots particular engaging. Buildings being scattered all over in the background. You might say the buildings are there and there's little you can do about them. I then ask if you have explored better ways to take the photos.

I actually thought the keystone distortion in #1 is ok. That together with the cloud pattern in the sky gives the picture a slightly "wow, big city" look.

While I agree with Mimik, N86M and Kit to avoid Keystone Distortion, I haven't quite found a very clear situation when it should be ok, or that it'd work.

I also read in other site that suggests NOT to correct Keystone Distortion 100%, but to leave them in as the human brain knows and expects to see some distortion given the situation. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm
What do you think?

This is a good topic, I hope y'all will discuss without malice. That makes for a good forum.
Sorry TS if you wish to stop this discussion, I will remove it.

no poblem with the comments
in fact we can learn from it.

sorry for too much expalining but in fact im absorbing your opinions.
im not into landscape, im still experimenting things (filters, wide lens).
i just thought this composition is better for me as a start.

the merlion for instance, i just try to shoot at noon with this filter
i just want to see the effect. i know it woud take time and reading comments
to make better use of it.

thanks for viewing

My Botanic Garden Waterworks Shot

5211212040_4bc453077a_z.jpg

5210610235_7026786299_z.jpg

5210615067_c14a01535a_z.jpg

I actually thought the keystone distortion in #1 is ok. That together with the cloud pattern in the sky gives the picture a slightly "wow, big city" look.

While I agree with Mimik, N86M and Kit to avoid Keystone Distortion, I haven't quite found a very clear situation when it should be ok, or that it'd work.

I also read in other site that suggests NOT to correct Keystone Distortion 100%, but to leave them in as the human brain knows and expects to see some distortion given the situation. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm
What do you think?

This is a good topic, I hope y'all will discuss without malice. That makes for a good forum.
Sorry TS if you wish to stop this discussion, I will remove it.

emlee,

i think the issue here is the same as that for tilt in photos.

a little bit is usually seen as bad, because you can't really tell the intent of the author. is it meant to be a deliberate move? or is it a mistake, an oversight on his part?

dynamic tilts are almost always pronounced in nature - same for keystone distortion here. as kit says, if you don't see a purpose for it, then it shouldn't be there. same for composition, if an element doesn't serve a purpose, then you should move to exclude it.