MTS file to more editable format

kingjen

Jun 29, 2009
North
Happy New Year to all,

I am now ventured into HD editing since I just purchased Panasonic GH2 camera. I am using vegas 8 with dual core processor PC. I like to know which software is good for transcoding the AVCHD file into more editable format for my PC (without upgrading, afterall, have spent a tidy sum on new camera). I read that cineform neoscene is very good. Are there other softwares that can do a similiar good job, perhaps at lower price? Appreciate anyone who can share the experience to get around the situation as mine.

Thanks.

Happy New Year to all,

I am now ventured into HD editing since I just purchased Panasonic GH2 camera. I am using vegas 8 with dual core processor PC. I like to know which software is good for transcoding the AVCHD file into more editable format for my PC (without upgrading, afterall, have spent a tidy sum on new camera). I read that cineform neoscene is very good. Are there other softwares that can do a similiar good job, perhaps at lower price? Appreciate anyone who can share the experience to get around the situation as mine.

Thanks.

I use virtualdub for all my video edits, although mts compression is slightly more tedious, I'm very satisfied with its editing/conversion into the final video. You'll need virtualdub and its 3rd party plugins/addons. It is FREE, you can't do better than free but you need some good googling skills to hunt for the various free codecs and addons to do what you want over the basic edit and conversions...

A real gem is the "deshaker" addons that reduce/eliminate handshakes from your video... a must have in my opinion but this addon have a steep learning curve its only disadvantage(if you're savvy in video technical terms and concepts, it is actually very simple). Virtualdub beats every other video editor if you can learn to use it well. Best of all it is FREE!

I use virtualdub for all my video edits, although mts compression is slightly more tedious, I'm very satisfied with its editing/conversion into the final video. You'll need virtualdub and its 3rd party plugins/addons. It is FREE, you can't do better than free but you need some good googling skills to hunt for the various free codecs and addons to do what you want over the basic edit and conversions...

A real gem is the "deshaker" addons that reduce/eliminate handshakes from your video... a must have in my opinion but this addon have a steep learning curve its only disadvantage(if you're savvy in video technical terms and concepts, it is actually very simple). Virtualdub beats every other video editor if you can learn to use it well. Best of all it is FREE!

I've used Virtualdub before and it's quite simple to use but I am wondering if I can use Virtualdub to convert .mov files from a Canon HDSLR so that the files can be edited on Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 on a PC.

Any ideas?

:)

I've used Virtualdub before and it's quite simple to use but I am wondering if I can use Virtualdub to convert .mov files from a Canon HDSLR so that the files can be edited on Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 on a PC.

Any ideas?

Yes you can, you've to download the MOV plugin:

http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin

IF you need any help/guide check out this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub :)

Any ideas?

why would you need to convert .mov files for editing on premiere. it's already editable in .mov. converting it to something else prior to editing just makes you lose quality in your footage.:thumbsd:

Happy New Year to all,

Thanks.

if i'm not wrong, native AVCHD editing should be a feature on the Sony Vegas software. Just simply import the MTS files directly into vegas.

in general, you shouldn't convert footage prior to editing, unless time is really REALLY a crucial factor in your workflow, otherwise, you're just losing 2 generations of quality on your footage by the time you get to the final product.

why would you need to convert .mov files for editing on premiere. it's already editable in .mov. converting it to something else prior to editing just makes you lose quality in your footage.:thumbsd:

Well, I did try to import the .mov files into, as I said, Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, and it was unsuccessful.

Probably because Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 is an ancient version, I don't really know.

:thumbsd:

if i'm not wrong, native AVCHD editing should be a feature on the Sony Vegas software. Just simply import the MTS files directly into vegas.

in general, you shouldn't convert footage prior to editing, unless time is really REALLY a crucial factor in your workflow, otherwise, you're just losing 2 generations of quality on your footage by the time you get to the final product.

Yes, MTS file can be imported to vegas for editing in my dual core PC but the footage becomes very sluggish as compared with the usual SD avi footage from my DV tape in the past. It becomes more unbearable when you apply any transition or special effects. Therefore I like to look for an intermediate solution before I spend more $$$ on upgrading my PC.

Yes, MTS file can be imported to vegas for editing in my dual core PC but the footage becomes very sluggish as compared with the usual SD avi footage from my DV tape in the past. It becomes more unbearable when you apply any transition or special effects. Therefore I like to look for an intermediate solution before I spend more $$$ on upgrading my PC.

AVCHD is a more efficient codec than MPEG2 in terms of file size but would require additional processing power to decode/encode. However, even if you convert it to uncompressed AVI, you have to remember that full HD is 1920 x 1080 = 2.07 megapixels. SD PAL resolution is 720 x 576 = 0.41 megapixels. You can do the maths regarding how much more processing power is required to encode full HD video compared to SD.

Make sure you have enough RAM in your PC before considering a CPU upgrade.

This is my PC specs:
CPU: Dual Core AMD Athlon X2 4200
RAM: 8GB (4 slots)
Graphics: ATI 5870
Harddisk: 1TB (C Drive) 2TB (D Drive)
Software: Vegas 8.0c / Gimp / Blender / Acid 6.0
Plugins: Magic Bullet Suite

I have edited MTS file format with transitions and effects without much problem. The real problem is when you have other programs running in your system like anti virus, defrag, google toolbar, itunes helper, acrobat manager and java.

I use a dedicated C drive i.e. a detachable C Drive so that when I want to do editing, I replace it with another drive with no other programs installed except the Win 7 and Vegas 8.0c/Acid 6.0. It doesn't even have a anti-virus installed and it is not even connected to internet.

The Win 7 is even a bare bones i.e. no aero eye candy.

Hope that helps.:cool:

Needs Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or later... Confirmed since I have it. Maybe CS3 but I don't have it.

This is my PC specs:
CPU: Dual Core AMD Athlon X2 4200
RAM: 8GB (4 slots)
Graphics: ATI 5870
Harddisk: 1TB (C Drive) 2TB (D Drive)
Software: Vegas 8.0c / Gimp / Blender / Acid 6.0
Plugins: Magic Bullet Suite

I have edited MTS file format with transitions and effects without much problem. The real problem is when you have other programs running in your system like anti virus, defrag, google toolbar, itunes helper, acrobat manager and java.

I use a dedicated C drive i.e. a detachable C Drive so that when I want to do editing, I replace it with another drive with no other programs installed except the Win 7 and Vegas 8.0c/Acid 6.0. It doesn't even have a anti-virus installed and it is not even connected to internet.

The Win 7 is even a bare bones i.e. no aero eye candy.

Hope that helps.:cool:

My PC spec is intel dual core 3.0Hz with 2GB Ram running on Win XP service pack 3. I have disabled all start-up and background programs. I used window task manager to monitor the CPU and Ram usage. When playing back in the timeline with Vegas 8 pro using SD footage, CPU usage is about 8 - 65% max and RAM < 1GB. The playback is very smooth. However using AVCHD footage, the CPU usage is 80 - 100% and RAM about 1.2GB. The playback is sluggish. So it seems to me that my CPU could be the limiting factor here.

So back to my first question. If I do not wish to invest to upgrade the PC at this moment, which are the good and economical conversion softwares to transcode the AVCHD to more friendlier format (less CPU demanding but of course more HDD storage space) without compromising too much on quality. There are some replies earlier but like to hear more if possible. Or maybe upgrading is better option. Thanks.

My PC spec is intel dual core 3.0Hz with 2GB Ram running on Win XP service pack 3. I have disabled all start-up and background programs. I used window task manager to monitor the CPU and Ram usage. When playing back in the timeline with Vegas 8 pro using SD footage, CPU usage is about 8 - 65% max and RAM < 1GB. The playback is very smooth. However using AVCHD footage, the CPU usage is 80 - 100% and RAM about 1.2GB. The playback is sluggish. So it seems to me that my CPU could be the limiting factor here.

So back to my first question. If I do not wish to invest to upgrade the PC at this moment, which are the good and economical conversion softwares to transcode the AVCHD to more friendlier format (less CPU demanding but of course more HDD storage space) without compromising too much on quality. There are some replies earlier but like to hear more if possible. Or maybe upgrading is better option. Thanks.
I'm running an overclocked Pentium Dual Core E2160 at 3.0GHz with 4GB RAM running on Windows 7. I also have a Radeon HD7700 video card with H.264 support. I have no problems playing and editing Canon's .mts files without stuttering using Adobe Premiere CS4. Playback using Windows Media Player was initially skipping until I installed Adobe Premiere. The Adobe's H.264 codecs are probably more compatible with my card's hardware acceleration.

I don't disable any background programs. In fact, sometimes I have Photoshop and/or Encore idling at the back.

So a few other things to consider. Your CPU should still be fast enough for editing. Your RAM is on the low side. Unfortunately, going 4GB or more means a new 64 bit OS for you. What video card are you using? If your video card doesn't have H.264 support, maybe that's the bottleneck? The other thing to consider is that Windows 7 is suppose to have better HD video support than Windows XP.

Converting MTS to Mp4 will reduce file size by 4 to 5 times smaller. The other option is forget about full HD just downsize to 720p video.

I think if you wish to upgrade hardware for video editing it is much more value for money to upgrade to a good graphics card and lots of fast memory. Nvidia graphics card has something called CUDA, parallel computing architecture from NVIDIA, that will do a better job processing video than a faster CPU. Upgrade to a faster graphics card and memory will give you a better value for your money in video crunching performance.

Sorry I can't help with specifics as it all depends on your budget... and I'm still using a 5 year old computer doing avcd lite video editing... yes it take forever(over nite processing) but I'm not the least bothered :bsmilie:

Do some research on DSP vs CPU processing and you may find your answers.

I'm running an overclocked Pentium Dual Core E2160 at 3.0GHz with 4GB RAM running on Windows 7. I also have a Radeon HD7700 video card with H.264 support. I have no problems playing and editing Canon's .mts files without stuttering using Adobe Premiere CS4. Playback using Windows Media Player was initially skipping until I installed Adobe Premiere. The Adobe's H.264 codecs are probably more compatible with my card's hardware acceleration.

I don't disable any background programs. In fact, sometimes I have Photoshop and/or Encore idling at the back.

So a few other things to consider. Your CPU should still be fast enough for editing. Your RAM is on the low side. Unfortunately, going 4GB or more means a new 64 bit OS for you. What video card are you using? If your video card doesn't have H.264 support, maybe that's the bottleneck? The other thing to consider is that Windows 7 is suppose to have better HD video support than Windows XP.

My video card is GeForce 9800GT 512Mb. Looking at the specifications, there is no indication to say it supports H.264 clearly but it has PureVideo HD technology. I also just updated the driver. However, there is still no improvement. Is Geforce 9800GT good enough? BTW, I have two hard disks (1Tb each). One for system use and another for data.

Now when I use the 720p footage from GH2, the playback improves quite a lot though still not smooth. Earlier my footage used is 1080 24p. While I could use 720p for some occasions but 1080 24p is what I paid for GH2.

Upgrading to window 7 is worth considering, provided of course if it can really solve the problem I have. Or something I still do not do right with the current PC optimisation for smooth playback of AVCHD file especially full HD. Thanks.

Read:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html

Superior Visual Computing
With the power of NVIDIA® CUDA™ technology and the new CUDA runtime for Windows Vista™, programmers can now offload the most intensive processing tasks from your CPU to your GPU, delivering incredible performance improvements over your traditional CPU. HybridPower™ technology also delivers graphics performance when you need it and low-power operation when you don’t. And with the second generation PureVideo® HD engine, poor Blu-ray movie quality is a thing of the past.

Looks like XP is your bottleneck -- Vista or higher(7) allows you to "offload the most intensive processing tasks from your CPU to your GPU, delivering incredible performance improvements over your traditional CPU"

Try upgrading to win7 as your first step. Then for even better performance see if you can add more graphics card memory...

Best of luck!

My video card is GeForce 9800GT 512Mb. Looking at the specifications, there is no indication to say it supports H.264 clearly but it has PureVideo HD technology. I also just updated the driver. However, there is still no improvement. Is Geforce 9800GT good enough? BTW, I have two hard disks (1Tb each). One for system use and another for data.

Now when I use the 720p footage from GH2, the playback improves quite a lot though still not smooth. Earlier my footage used is 1080 24p. While I could use 720p for some occasions but 1080 24p is what I paid for GH2.

Upgrading to window 7 is worth considering, provided of course if it can really solve the problem I have. Or something I still do not do right with the current PC optimisation for smooth playback of AVCHD file especially full HD. Thanks.

kingjen,

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 10 to edit native AVCHD/mts file from my GH2.
My pc is an old Quad core 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram and a Nvidia GT8600.
I dump all my video files to an external eSATA drive 2x1TB @Raid 0.

You do not need a high-end graphics card for Sony Vegas.
For smooth HD preview playback, you need a fast CPU, plenty of system mem and a fast drive.

For 32 bit OS, Windows will not see more than 4GB of system mem.
AVCHD playback on Vegas has improved since ver.9.

Cheers!

kingjen,

Sounds like your hardware, including your video card, is still adequate for video editing.

I'm beginning to suspect is a software/driver/codec issue. You can download the latest trial versions of Vegas as well as Adobe Premiere Elements to see whether it makes any difference. Vegas 10 has GPU-Accelerated AVC Encoding (Using NVIDIA CUDA). Failing that, I would consider a clean install of Windows XP before upgrading to Windows 7.

kingjen,

Sounds like your hardware, including your video card, is still adequate for video editing.

I'm beginning to suspect is a software/driver/codec issue. You can download the latest trial versions of Vegas as well as Adobe Premiere Elements to see whether it makes any difference. Vegas 10 has GPU-Accelerated AVC Encoding (Using NVIDIA CUDA). Failing that, I would consider a clean install of Windows XP before upgrading to Windows 7.

Thanks Linse. Have tried the trial version of vegas pro 10. Now the playback of even the 1080 24p, looks pretty smooth. Also apprec all other feedbacks and suggestions given to me.