mp3, wma, vbr, abr -help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwinx

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Hoping to get a hard-disk based mp3 player that can play mp3/wma. [i think OGG is too rare] How should i go about converting my CDs?

(1) Mp3 or WMA?
(2) CBR or VBR or ABR [assume latest players all can deal with ABR/VBR?]
(3) Bitrate - at least 160 since space is not a problem?

any recommendations for progs that can convert CDs to WMA9?

thanks.

(1) WMA has higher quality, but MP3 is more widely supported(by people)...

(2) anything. It does not matter. I encode at 192kbps, CBR.

(3) Space is not a problem, but battery is. The higher the bitrate, the more juice it sucks from the battery.

store everything as mp3, 128kbps.

VBR or CBR doesnt really matter

use this software called mp3gain to normalise all the songs volume to the same number of decibels (+/- 1.5 db) so that u dont have to adjust volume every now and then. nowadays songs if u rip from cd and analyse using mp3gain, will reveal them to be at about 98+ decibels

yeah.. never at 128kbps. at LEAST 160.

my ears not that picky..hehe!

I just got myself a iAudio G3 1GB @ 370 from Merdeka at SLS. it supports a variety of formats, uses 1AA batt, claimed to last for 50 hrs. I'm using the provided alkaline batt since 2 weeks ago and now only show 1 of 3 batt life. The sound is fantastic, no other mp3 players can compare to it, not even any creative or ipod.

user111 said:
store everything as mp3, 128kbps.

VBR or CBR doesnt really matter

use this software called mp3gain to normalise all the songs volume to the same number of decibels (+/- 1.5 db) so that u dont have to adjust volume every now and then. nowadays songs if u rip from cd and analyse using mp3gain, will reveal them to be at about 98+ decibels

May i know how can i get this software? How do i use it?

If quality matters, use apple's lossless AAC format (only on iPOD / shuffle) since space is not really the concern here, might as well go for the best quality.

If worldwide compability is your main concern, then go for mp3 at 320kbps. When paired with a decent pair of headphones, the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps is actually very obvious for mp3.

MP3 at 192kbps since space is not a problem. :bsmilie:

Drudkh said:
I just got myself a iAudio G3 1GB @ 370 from Merdeka at SLS. it supports a variety of formats, uses 1AA batt, claimed to last for 50 hrs. I'm using the provided alkaline batt since 2 weeks ago and now only show 1 of 3 batt life. The sound is fantastic, no other mp3 players can compare to it, not even any creative or ipod.

... :eek: ... I paid $400 for the iRiver iFP-595 512MB. :bheart:

Seemed like iAudio products are gaining popularity with its sound quality and good pricing. I've never tried the G3 but I believe it should be comparable to the iFP series in terms of sound reproduction.

I use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC and convert them into Ogg q-6 (avg 190kbps). To my ears, Ogg sounded better than mp3 LAME at 196KBps.

Status
Not open for further replies.