mould on the interior glass

Keith Lim

Jan 31, 2012
East
I recently found some moulds growing on the interior glass of my 35mm f1.8G. Would the mould be killed if I place my lens into a dry cabinet?

I recently found some moulds growing on the interior glass of my 35mm f1.8G. Would the mould be killed if I place my lens into a dry cabinet?
nope...

it will just slow down the growing process of the fungus,

the only way to remove them is open the lens up and clean it away.

and this will not guarantee it won't come back,

the best way to prevent it, is to keep in dry cabinet when camera and lenses are not in use.

So what should I do to get rid of the moulds? It is expensive to send it to nikon for a clean.

So what should I do to get rid of the moulds? It is expensive to send it to nikon for a clean.
yes, it is expensive to send fungus infected camera/lenses for cleaning regardless where you send the them to, that is why a dry cabinet is highly recommended.

sadly most people prefer to learn this from a hard way.

That lens of mine will be in dry cab unless needed. But I dont know why mould still grows on it

That lens of mine will be in dry cab unless needed. But I dont know why mould still grows on it

Means your dry cab is not configured correctly or is faultu

What is the ideal humid level that it should.be configured?

Thanks for the advise. :D

i was at the NSC earlier today, and out of curiousity, i asked how much is fungus cleaning. its a rough quote of $140 excl gst.

Not all fungus can be cleaned, especially if the fungus grows on elements in a sealed group assembly. Fungus also secrete acid that can eat into coatings leaving permanent marks.

Another thing to take note of is to take off filters from time to time because fungus can grow on the front element due to trapped humid air between the front element and filter.