Motorsports

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngKuGuay

Aug 30, 2004
Western Singapore
Hi guys, what do you think of the following shots? Any comments and pointers?

13090DSC_3776.JPG

13090DSC_3793.JPG

13090DSC_3799.JPG

the pictures seem a little underexposed to me, maybe try more variations if possible, like changing position where you shoot and different compositions. Maybe push your ISO up higher to get a faster shutter speed so your image can be sharper

The photos look a bit flat to me... and a bit dead.. no offence.. but the subject doesnt jump out of the pic.. it's like the excitement of the event is lost.

Having said that, it's quite good panning, imo... cheers

If you were standing, get lower. It may work better in insolating the subjects from the background clutter. You might want to try longer focal lengths to enable a tighter composition, most of the images are framed rather loosely. If you are feeling particularly brave, choose a slow corner where you can park yourself on the inside and use a wide angle lens to shoot in your face shots. Work to the advantage of lines of convergence - I can see converging lines in the scenes but they don't figure strongly in enhancing the composition. Try using portrait orientations also.

You need to go with a lower shutter speed on your pans, the wheels and the background aren't quite blurred enough to give that sensation of speed.

There are too many photos from roughly the same angle. It numbs the viewer. If you are going to post every shot where the subject is framed-in, in focus, you're going to need to further sift out those that have a visual impact. A tight concise collection of 3-5 images can be more powerful than a series of repeated images.

Repeated-angle images work for commercial concerns where the photographer aims to sell the images (in this case to the individual riders) but it does nothing for the casual observer whom you ask photographic critiques from.

r32 said:
If you were standing, get lower. It may work better in insolating the subjects from the background clutter. You might want to try longer focal lengths to enable a tighter composition, most of the images are framed rather loosely. If you are feeling particularly brave, choose a slow corner where you can park yourself on the inside and use a wide angle lens to shoot in your face shots. Work to the advantage of lines of convergence - I can see converging lines in the scenes but they don't figure strongly in enhancing the composition. Try using portrait orientations also.

You need to go with a lower shutter speed on your pans, the wheels and the background aren't quite blurred enough to give that sensation of speed.

There are too many photos from roughly the same angle. It numbs the viewer. If you are going to post every shot where the subject is framed-in, in focus, you're going to need to further sift out those that have a visual impact. A tight concise collection of 3-5 images can be more powerful than a series of repeated images.

Repeated-angle images work for commercial concerns where the photographer aims to sell the images (in this case to the individual riders) but it does nothing for the casual observer whom you ask photographic critiques from.
very professional and constructive comment :thumbsup:

AngKuGuay said:
more more more!

13090DSC_3730.JPG

This pic would have been nice the fingers could have been seen clearly and at a more frontal angle showing the fingers more prominent. At first look I was finguring out how come this rider has only 1 hand.. :bsmilie:

drummercow said:
The photos look a bit flat to me... and a bit dead.. no offence.. but the subject doesnt jump out of the pic.. it's like the excitement of the event is lost.

Having said that, it's quite good panning, imo... cheers

Hmm... what can I do to make the subject 'jump' out of the pic?

r32 said:

Thanks for the pointers! I dare not get lower just in case I need to get out of the way of a crashing bike. I was standing at one of the slower corners and I am on the inside. I can't move about too much on the tracks due to the safety concerns but I should have tried out the various angles the next time.

R32,

Good Suggestions, but there are rules that you will have to watch/obey while on the circuit. A in-your-face shot close to the rider/driver is a BIG no-no, and in a situation of a sanctioned event, you get banned from going track side.

ZeusS said:
R32,

Good Suggestions, but there are rules that you will have to watch/obey while on the circuit. A in-your-face shot close to the rider/driver is a BIG no-no, and in a situation of a sanctioned event, you get banned from going track side.

hohoho!

The Man has spoken! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.