Motor Drives and Winders : Problem with Batteries?

tengcc792

Sep 15, 2012
Simei
Hi, any of you all owns a film winder or motor drive? I have a occasionally film advance jam when using my third party Minolta Winder G lookalike. What I have found out from some website that rechargable GP Recyko batteries (4 x 1.2V), it tends to jammed (feels like no power to advance), which my winder actually needs 6V to powered up.

I have not really tried with alkaline batteries (4 x 1.5V) but I wished to see is there any advice from here.

I've had the same problem ages ago when i was using my x-700+md-1 combo and x-1 motor.
The problem seem to be the performance of certain rechargable batteries tends to dip immediately when used with hi-drain equipment such as motor drives and flash units.

It seems your GP Recyko batteries still have the voltage but doesn't have enough juice to drive the motor winder.
It's not voltage but more on available stored current and its burst rate.

My experience with Energizer batteries is good. 7-9 rolls when performance begins to dip.
On the contrary, with rechargable NiCad batteries, the problem seem to be its memory effect and poor charger technology that made me stay away from it.

With rechargable NiMh batteries and its charger, i'm happy with the current imedion and eneloop batteries and am using it with my F3P+MD4 combo with energizer as back up.

But then, if all said and done with another type of batteries, it could be the motor winder that's giving the problem.

just use alkaline batteries, it deliver 6V whereas NiMh batteries only deliver 4.8V.
alkaline batteries can use very long time and you won't save much on batteries anyway, just remember to remove batteries when not in use.

just use alkaline batteries, it deliver 6V whereas NiMh batteries only deliver 4.8V.
alkaline batteries can use very long time and you won't save much on batteries anyway, just remember to remove batteries when not in use.

Wow...mod...i would love to find an alkaline battery that can last very long time...:cheers: on high drain equipment?
BTW, all electronic equipment can safely run at +/- one cell their rated optimum operating voltage.

unlike DSLR, battery grip is not a high drain device for film camera, they only forward and rewind the film, plus cocking the shutter and mirror.
during my days of shooting weddings with film, I notice I don't benefit from using NiMh batteries on my battery grip, in fact, Alkaline batteries last longer than NiMh batteries in battery grip.
I shot at least 10 rolls in a wedding, and I can use the same set of
Alkaline batteries for a few weddings.

I agree with you battery grip is not a high drain device but it's a different story with a motor drives...

I agree with you battery grip is not a high drain device but it's a different story with a motor drives...

I use F3 with motordrive, FM with winder before, I don't recall the Alkaline batteries drain so fast, of course, during that time, there is no NiMh batteries, and NiCd batteries are expensive and not reliable.