Motion Blur / Lag

MrPenolo

May 5, 2014
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi, I am not sure whether where to post this, sorry for posting at the wrong category.
I am having some problem with this video i have recently done, and i want to know why am i having that problem.
Can any one tell me how to shoot a extreme fast moving object like this ? I always having motion blur in the video, so how could i do to stop it and make it look nicer ?

Please view the following video below.
[video=vimeo;105463872]https://vimeo.com/105463872[/video]

Every clips in the video was shot at 1920x1080 [60FPS] using a GoPro 3+ black edition, render out at the same setting as the camera, 60FPS 1920x1080.

Last edited:
Hard to tell if it's caused by Vimeo compression. But if your video looks 'blocky' even before you upload to vimeo, try increasing the bit rate. If possible, avoid transcoding.
On the brighter shots, there's noticeable jello caused by camera movement at high shutter speed. Consider using an ND filter to lower the shutter speed.

The plastic go pro case can also cause smearing. Use the go pro naked frame to get the best optical results.
A 360 degree shutter angle could also result in motion blur
Since there's no way to set shutter speed in the go pro, ND filter is the best solution.
[video=youtube;-nHM4_VkV_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nHM4_VkV_I#t=11[/video]

Hard to tell if it's caused by Vimeo compression. But if your video looks 'blocky' even before you upload to vimeo, try increasing the bit rate. If possible, avoid transcoding.
On the brighter shots, there's noticeable jello caused by camera movement at high shutter speed. Consider using an ND filter to lower the shutter speed.

The plastic go pro case can also cause smearing. Use the go pro naked frame to get the best optical results.
A 360 degree shutter angle could also result in motion blur
Since there's no way to set shutter speed in the go pro, ND filter is the best solution.
[video=youtube;-nHM4_VkV_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nHM4_VkV_I#t=11[/video]

I am sorry i don't really understand the 360 Degree shutter angle, i am not very experience in shooting videos.
All i know that, the lower shutter angle the less motion blur.
How do i lower the shutter angle?

Set your recording format to 1080p at 24/25/30 FPS.

For this video:

When importing your video to your editing suite, make sure it's readed as 60FPS and not other framerate. Then you can increase video speed by 200% and use frameblend.

If you compare your original export with the vimeo video, can you see any difference in the motion blur? This is a hunch but the vimeo 60 to 30 fps pulldown could be the culprit. (Vimeo cannot stream 60fps) For web delivery stick to 25 or 30fps. BTW, if you shoot in flourscent or LED lights, 30/60fps could cause flicker. Shoot 50fps if you want to slo-mo (50%) otherwise, stick to 25fps on the Gopro.

You can't change the shutter angle nor shutter speed with Gopro. Just have a variety of ND filters and experiment with the exposure.

Last edited:
If you compare your original export with the vimeo video, can you see any difference in the motion blur? This is a hunch but the vimeo 60 to 30 fps pulldown could be the culprit. (Vimeo cannot stream 60fps) For web delivery stick to 25 or 30fps. BTW, if you shoot in flourscent or LED lights, 30/60fps could cause flicker. Shoot 50fps if you want to slo-mo (50%) otherwise, stick to 25fps on the Gopro.

You can't change the shutter angle nor shutter speed with Gopro. Just have a variety of ND filters and experiment with the exposure.

Yeah, There's a big different between my original export and my vimeo footage. But even if i export it out at 30FPS, it still look the same.
Usually i always shoot in daylight time for my GoPro.
So if i shoot at 50FPS, i will get lesser motion blur right ?
Cause i can't plan what shot to slow motion it, because all the tricks athlete are always different . So i have to always shoot at high frame rate, then i could get back to think of which footage to slow it down.

I am not sure where i can get ND filter for GoPro in local.

Shoot at 120fps. Hero3+ Black edition has that option. Only then you have smooth slow mo.

It helps if you can visualize what kind of stunt the bikers are pulling. That way, you can prepare yourself of the shot.

When doing slow mo, what I usually do is, I will slow mo the part where the subject is "hanging" in the air for 3 seconds. It has more that wow factor rather than you try to slow mo the whole stunt in the air.

[video=vimeo;92238786]http://vimeo.com/92238786[/video]

Go to 02:08. I only slow mo the moments before the paintball hit my lens. That's only like 1.2seconds. If I tried the slow mo the entire 3 seconds clip, it will have a lesser impact.

In your case, the couple of moments before the bike drops from its highest peak. You can slow mo that part.

In your editing suite, you can either use speed settings or twixtor. If using twixtor with footages shot at 120fps, I can push all the way to 5% speed. But if you are using editing suite speed control, I would not recommend anything lower than 20%.

Another way, you can change the frame rate interpretation when editing.

Last edited:
I usually shoot with the naked frame with a Lee gel ND ($64 from cathay)cut into a small circle and slipped into one of these clear lens protector. Use a circle template from a stationer to draw a perfect circle without poking a hole in the centre. You can get around six circles with one piece of gel.
$gopro-the-frame-20.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot at 120fps. Hero3+ Black edition has that option. Only then you have smooth slow mo.

It helps if you can visualize what kind of stunt the bikers are pulling. That way, you can prepare yourself of the shot.

When doing slow mo, what I usually do is, I will slow mo the part where the subject is "hanging" in the air for 3 seconds. It has more that wow factor rather than you try to slow mo the whole stunt in the air.

[video=vimeo;92238786]http://vimeo.com/92238786[/video]

Go to 02:08. I only slow mo the moments before the paintball hit my lens. That's only like 1.2seconds. If I tried the slow mo the entire 3 seconds clip, it will have a lesser impact.

In your case, the couple of moments before the bike drops from its highest peak. You can slow mo that part.

In your editing suite, you can either use speed settings or twixtor. If using twixtor with footages shot at 120fps, I can push all the way to 5% speed. But if you are using editing suite speed control, I would not recommend anything lower than 20%.

Another way, you can change the frame rate interpretation when editing.

Thank bro, But i am having the problem of motion lag when shooting at high frame rate and convert it to 30 FPS.
Whenever i convert it to 30FPS, it will feel choppy.

I usually shoot with the naked frame with a Lee gel ND ($64 from cathay)cut into a small circle and slipped into one of these clear lens protector. Use a circle template from a stationer to draw a perfect circle without poking a hole in the centre. You can get around six circles with one piece of gel.
View attachment 4757

I have just recently bought it ! Thank you :D

Thank bro, But i am having the problem of motion lag when shooting at high frame rate and convert it to 30 FPS.
Whenever i convert it to 30FPS, it will feel choppy.

Maybe you can share some of the original files/clips so the other gopro users can take a look at it on their own systems and see if they run into the same issues after conforming to a 30fps timeline. Too many variables really.

Would help if you describe your import/export workflow exactly step-by-step.

Or if you wanna try figure this out yourself, try the steps described here for FCPX or Adobe PPro: http://rungunshoot.com/converting-60p-to-24p-a-quick-guide/

----

On a side note, get an iphone 6 for the 240fps :bsmilie:

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/23/5-of-the-best-iphone-6-240fps-slow-motion-video-examples/

Last edited: