More Professionals Use Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum suffers the same disease as Hardwarezone. :bsmilie:

Everyones talkin about what brand, what function, drooling over lenses, how many megapixels etc.

It would be nice to see more talk about framing, composure and photography as an art form and the statement the photographer is trying to make by choosing certain techniques over others, as well as the emotions you feel when viewing a certain photo.

The greatest photos are not necessarily the sharpest or with the best tone, but ones which convey what the photographer wants to bring across to the viewers, take a look at Nat Geo and you know what I mean.

In the future you might see some ST photogs with new EOS1D cameras. I was told of the reason for it, and it has nothing related to whether Canon or Nikon makes superior cameras.

You see lots of medium format cameras floating around the used market these days. They take pictures fine alright. Take a guess what's going on?

DeusExMachina said:

Yeah well, we have to be true to our roots...

Sion said:
To stop all these Canon vs Nikon debates could we have a camera called "Cankon" incoperationg the best of these two great brands?

The end.

Or maybe a Ninnon?

Nah. I vote for Can-on.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Jed said:
Yeah well, we have to be true to our roots...

Eh, but being true to our roots in this aspect isn't so good right? :D

Wha, some of the replies very "in-your-face" style man.. Scary.. :bigeyes:

Jed said:
I've said it a number of times and I'll say it again. There are at least as many Nikon snappers as there are Canon snappers for football at the highest level.

And not all the white lenses are Canon lenses, I've definitely seen a couple of white 400 Nikkors.

Hey hey Jed... relax! it's only a joke. I DO know that white Nikkors exist, ok?

Jed said:
Nah. I vote for Can-on.

let's make a clubsnap wishlist, start a company and call it "D*mn On"! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

then we can start marketing a clubsnap camera! :devil:

but seriously, it's not the camera, it's the person behind it. And that's what makes you a pro. If you have a D2H or a 1D MkII, it doesn't make you a pro, or a good photographer. It just makes you someone with an impressive camera.

Think less, and shoot more!

My impression was that in the past (80s?), Nikon targeted the pros more in their marketing, camera design and pricing, while Canon hit out more at the consumers for a wider base. Resulting in a lot of pros using Nikon but Canon having a bigger market share. My 2c.

the clubsnap day at zoo is partly sponsored by nikon.
That's why must give Nikon face. else next year must bring your own nasi lemak to zoo already.

ehhh... but I still use Canon. LOLoudest
I don't research much on those tiny tiny little difference between Can and Nik. I don't care, coz I only trust my skill. If photo turns out bad, that is my fault. If it turns out good, that is my credit.

Don't fall in love with the brand, fall in love with photography.

mervlam said:
Hey hey Jed... relax! it's only a joke. I DO know that white Nikkors exist, ok?

You're missing the point. White Nikkors were my joke. The truth is, there aren't more Canon users than Nikon users at football games. Excluding white Nikkors. Well some, but at others there will be more Nikon than Canon.

Jed said:
You're missing the point. White Nikkors were my joke. The truth is, there aren't more Canon users than Nikon users at football games. Excluding white Nikkors. Well some, but at others there will be more Nikon than Canon.

oh ok... i got the point... hee.. thanks. ;)
Anyway, I can't be bothered if there are more Nikon than Canon at football games, or vice versa. Whatever.... :p

DeusExMachina said:

Everyones talkin about what brand, what function, drooling over lenses, how many megapixels etc.

It would be nice to see more talk about framing, composure and photography as an art form and the statement the photographer is trying to make by choosing certain techniques over others, as well as the emotions you feel when viewing a certain photo.

The greatest photos are not necessarily the sharpest or with the best tone, but ones which convey what the photographer wants to bring across to the viewers, take a look at Nat Geo and you know what I mean.

Your concern has been voiced before. Unfortunately, not many seem to share the same sentiment - am saying this based on my observation that there seems to be more hardware talk in the forums.

It really doesn't matter what you got. It's how you use it that counts. Most professionals i know use more than one brand while others uses more. It's just preference. Some prefer indoor shoots using brand X while some prefer brand Y for outdoor shoot. Even if you have a Ferari but you don't know how to drive then it's useless. My point is even if you have the best camera in the world but you don't know anything about getting good shots then you are as good as your neighbour. BTW my neighbour has a very beautiful daughter.

Oh by the way I was using Nikon for film before. Now I'm a Canonian. Cheers.

Thank you for all your spirited as well as well intentioned replies!!

Those were the type of responses I was expecting, but really wasn't so sure about it since I'm pretty new at photography. What I'm gathering is that Nikon, Canon makes no difference. I agree, that camera make does not maketh the photogr.

It seems to me, though, that one gets more convinced of one's choices by what one has and who one mixes around with. Nikonians stick with Nikonians, Canon-ians? stick with Canon-ians. The practicality of such an arrangement can't be underestimated...I think. Eg exchanging tips, accessories etc. Where a beginner is concerned, it may making one a better photogr faster.... That is my thinking now, IF, I were to change brands. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.