Moon at Perigee this weekend

Where is the best place to capture this moon?

Nearest distance between Moon and Earth is ~356,400km. Radius of Earth is ~6,371km. That is <1.8% difference in distance between standing at the nearest vs the furthest point on Earth to the Moon.

In Singapore, doesn't really matter where you stand. Any open area that the Moon appears will do. What matters is to hopefully get a clear sky that night.
:)

Time to take my telescope out again! Been a long time since I last took a picture through the scope. Anyone planning to go any particular open and fairly light-unpolluted place? I'm thinking Barrage.

Wonder if we'll have any luck with the meteor shower.. I've never seen one =(

not sure is it due to the coming Super Moon but yesterday evening the sunset near Jurong is very dramatic. Pity didn't hv camera with me.

anyone saw?

No link to the moon.

Time to take my telescope out again! Been a long time since I last took a picture through the scope. Anyone planning to go any particular open and fairly light-unpolluted place? I'm thinking Barrage.

the Marina Barrage is surrounded mostly by buildings that are brightly lit at night. and the ships out at sea are also brightly lit. your best bet would be tuas

Too much light pollution here. :(

bro.. u mean..... my "meteor shower drought" continues? :cry:

I feel like a sua ku when my FT colleagues were discussing abot the showers back home:( N it actually began with me casually asking them whether they happen to know anywhere i can rent a scope *inspired by unclefai* :bsmilie:

the Marina Barrage is surrounded mostly by buildings that are brightly lit at night. and the ships out at sea are also brightly lit. your best bet would be tuas

Tuas too far. I live in the east. And from personal experience the buildings and ships at Marina Bay are far enough to not affect sky-viewing too badly. My scope's meant for light-polluted city skies too. I would go to Marina South Pier, it's even darker there, but their roof is closed for construction works >.< Another option is one of the offshore islands but transport back to mainland can get a little tricky. East Coast is not too bad, the more unlit areas, but I've never tried.

Tuas too far. I live in the east. And from personal experience the buildings and ships at Marina Bay are far enough to not affect sky-viewing too badly. My scope's meant for light-polluted city skies too. I would go to Marina South Pier, it's even darker there, but their roof is closed for construction works >.< Another option is one of the offshore islands but transport back to mainland can get a little tricky. East Coast is not too bad, the more unlit areas, but I've never tried.

How east? if you dare, tampines eco green. the park it unlit at night, so might be a choice to consider but at the same time also a bit scary..

How bout punggol field? i live in serangoon thus wun be travelling to extreme ends of singapore :( ... planning to use my 150-500 to shoot...

woodlands here not bad. but sadly thunderstorm coming for tonight.

oh, I mis-read the info, thought is today and went to shoot, hahaha

The moon will only be a couple of percent larger at maximum. You will NOT be able to tell the difference on film unless you have some mighty long lenses. For full moon shots I use typically 2,500mm at f10 with a 0.25m SCT at the Cassegrainian focus, OR a 0.3m @ f4.3 Newtonian at the Newtonian focus.

General tips: Use the longest lens you can muster, around 800mm with a DX sensor or 1200mm with a FF sensor is the optimum for a camera based setup. (ie 600/4 plus 2x TC). A large heavy tripod if you have it. Exposure at 100 ISO should be around 1/2000th at f8 but bracket widely. Do NOT rely on Autofocus.

If you are going to shoot with sunrise, then pick a mid point exposure based on the Moon's mare's (seas, ie the darker bits) and the brightest section of the moon. Or shoot HDR and be done with it. Try to keep your exposure times fairly short as you will get image shift due to Earth's rotation very quickly with long lenses or a telescope that is not on a polar aligned mount (assuming you do not have a field de-rotator and an Alt-Az SCT computerised telescope).

Good luck... It's raining here in Perth so no chance for me (not that I want any more lunar shots, I have way too many already).

so basically we wont be able to see the moon at the actual full moon time in singapore?
seems like tml night and the night on 6th will be the best to shoot?

hopefully there's a good view

Last edited:
Try to keep your exposure times fairly short as you will get image shift due to Earth's rotation very quickly with long lenses or a telescope that is not on a polar aligned mount (assuming you do not have a field de-rotator and an Alt-Az SCT computerised telescope).

I didn't have astrophotography in mind when I puchased my telescope but now I wish I'd gotten one with the computerised Alt-Az mount >.<

i cant even see the moon tonight. so cloudy