Monitor - Powerbook & PC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckwheat

Nov 15, 2004
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am just about to get a 24" Dell and I want to hook it up to my PC as well as my Powerbook.

Is there a cable that I can get that means the PC is always connected, but has a "separate" connection for when I want to connect my Powerbook? I don't want to always be connecting / reconnecting all the time.

surely there is a cable I can get?

anyone who owns the dell 24" - do you know if there is 2 dvi inputs?

buckwheat said:
surely there is a cable I can get?

anyone who owns the dell 24" - do you know if there is 2 dvi inputs?

Just one.

anyone know if there is a cable that would have a one end that hooks up to the monitor and then dual connectors for the PC / Laptop output?

buckwheat said:
anyone know if there is a cable that would have a one end that hooks up to the monitor and then dual connectors for the PC / Laptop output?

err... can try KVM, den dun use the kb & mouse feature...

i doubt there is a DVI splitter or switch... or maybe there is...

At SLS, I saw a ATEN KVM that has DVI and USB ports but don't think is has PS/2 ports. I vaguely remember the price is 550 or 650. Can connect up to 4 computers.

On another note, the Dell 24" is very good in both performance and price. I set up one for my relative. However, I think it needs a good display card.

I'm not worried about a fancy "switch" as i won't be using them both at the same time... just don't want the hassle of having to constantly switch the cable from one computer to the other...

buckwheat said:
I'm not worried about a fancy "switch" as i won't be using them both at the same time... just don't want the hassle of having to constantly switch the cable from one computer to the other...

den get a kvm lor, press the button on the kvm to switch view.

but 500-600 for something that should be quite simple seems a bit over the top.

i have at work a cable that splits one dvi output from the graphics card to two monitors... all i need is the opposite - one monitor but two sources.

cos its for the KVM function.. esp a USB KVM is about 2x more expensive than a PS/2 ones. den DVI ones are even more ex than the normal D-Sub ones.

if u can find 1 that uses DVI, and using PS/2 might be cheaper. But also have to note the maximum resolution. Some brands i tested will have wavy lines running across the screen, might be due to some interference in the KVM. Aten is nice, but slightly expensive. maybe try see Belkin have anot.

Beware about KVM.....some low end one doesn't support high resolution......poor extender cable will also affect the image quality....so check their specs first b4 you commit :sweat:

I received the 24" yesterday (and its awesome!!) - it actually has analogue and DVI inputs so my PC is using the analogue and I have reserved the DVI connection for the Powerbook - as I do all my photo / video stuff on the Mac.

Question I have is the cable that I received from Dell (I think its a DVI-I) doesn't look like it will go into the DVI port on the Powerbook. Does anyone know which adaptor I need to get? Have tried doing some searching but I am getting confused with all the different standards...

buckwheat said:
I received the 24" yesterday (and its awesome!!) - it actually has analogue and DVI inputs so my PC is using the analogue and I have reserved the DVI connection for the Powerbook - as I do all my photo / video stuff on the Mac.

Question I have is the cable that I received from Dell (I think its a DVI-I) doesn't look like it will go into the DVI port on the Powerbook. Does anyone know which adaptor I need to get? Have tried doing some searching but I am getting confused with all the different standards...

go buy a new one at sls...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
go buy a new one at sls...

appreciate the help... great work.

anyone got some advice that can actually point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.