Mirror doesn't go down on FE2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhyone

Mar 22, 2002
Singapore
web.singnet.com.sg
I haven't used my FE2 for a while -- two years -- and I was pressing the shutter release and then the film advance lever simulating taking shots.

Suddenly, the mirror became stuck in the open position and I couldn't turn the fim advance lever. This is like the camera stuck the MLU state, except the FE2 doesn't have MLU.

Battery is new. The mirror doesn't flip down when the dial is set to M250 either.

Mechanical issue?

I haven't used my FE2 for a while -- two years -- and I was pressing the shutter release and then the film advance lever simulating taking shots.

Suddenly, the mirror became stuck in the open position and I couldn't turn the fim advance lever. This is like the camera stuck the MLU state, except the FE2 doesn't have MLU.

Battery is new. The mirror doesn't flip down when the dial is set to M250 either.

Mechanical issue?

Like you mentioned, battery is new and M250 doesn't help... So probably the grease is dried up or something stuck inside. Best to give the camera a few shots every 3 month to keep things going..

I also have similiar problem but not sure whether is the same as yours. For me, just remove the botttom plate secured by 3 small screws. You will notice the flim advance level "knob" and there is a "catch" preventing you from turning the level. You just have to ease the this catch away and try advancing the level normally. That works for me. Hope it works for you.

Anyway, I have tried sending to NSC twice for servicing but they did not seem to be able to solve the problem. It usually gets stuck after leaving the camera for a month or so in my case and after releasing the catch, the camera works again.

There are cases of old SLRs having "sticky mirrors" due to the deterioration of the foam rubber which cushions the mirror.

There are cases of old SLRs having "sticky mirrors" due to the deterioration of the foam rubber which cushions the mirror.

Hmm.. In this case, the shutter would have closed and the film advance should be freed.

For me, just remove the botttom plate secured by 3 small screws. You will notice the flim advance level "knob" and there is a "catch" preventing you from turning the level. You just have to ease the this catch away and try advancing the level normally. That works for me. Hope it works for you.

nikon_fe2_btm_opened-tn.jpg

Thanks, I fiddled on the part on the right and it worked for me too! Unfortunately, I didn't observe carefully which part was jammed and what caused it to be jammed.

It usually gets stuck after leaving the camera for a month or so in my case and after releasing the catch, the camera works again.

I plan to take the FE2 with me on a short trip. Looks like I better bring along a screwdriver. :D

Did you store your FE2 in a dry cabinet? Sounds like the lubricant on one or more moving parts have also dried up. Happens on my dad's old Konica all the time ;)

its the level that has a philip head screw securing it. Its the silver arm resting on the advancing level dial that is stoping the flim from advancing forward. The other time when i brought it overseas sometime ago, I did brought a screw driver along.

I was wondering who / which servicing center is able to solve this problem...

http://www.smallapple.net/tmp/nikon_fe2_btm_opened-tn.jpg

Thanks, I fiddled on the part on the right and it worked for me too! Unfortunately, I didn't observe carefully which part was jammed and what caused it to be jammed.

I plan to take the FE2 with me on a short trip. Looks like I better bring along a screwdriver. :D

I suppose this method tensions up the spring a little bit more to give it a bit more energy for the shutter to close? Otherwise, you should not be able to advance the film while the shutter is still open.

I brought the FE2 on my trip and it jammed twice. When the negatives came back, the neighbouring frames were all fogged; I lost 3-4 frames each time. I don't know if it's due to the removing of the base or that I didn't cover the lens when I fiddled with the mechanism.

I brought the FE2 on my trip and it jammed twice. When the negatives came back, the neighbouring frames were all fogged; I lost 3-4 frames each time. I don't know if it's due to the removing of the base or that I didn't cover the lens when I fiddled with the mechanism.

There's a light seal right below the shutter. If the seal is gone and you opened the base plate, light will leak into the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.