[Mio Cade] - Philippines (NGO project)

:thumbsup: Great inspiring series..keep them coming. They are great reminders of how lucky we have been, pampered to a great extent and provided for so much so that many do not value them at all. Many have not gone through the hardship experienced by our forefathers....

Thank for your support. You have been such a great supporter.

Excellent series/:thumbsup:
We do need reminders on how fortunate we are here....

Yes, we all do need to remind ourselves that and make sure the future generation know what is poverty.

It has been a long time since I've seen such an impactful series of pictures. Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering what are some things I can do to help those children? I would love to help.

I'm very curious about how you go about taking those photos. Their emotions and life stories are shown through their faces. Do you wait for a long time for "the moment"?

There are many ways that we may help. Thank you for asking. I usually work directly with the local champions (heros to the people). As, I know I have someone whom I can trust. My role is like a bridge, connecting them to other foundations and offering my consultancy services.

Photography has a purpose. I believe in purposeful photography. Not only it records the moment but the inner 'feel' of the subject. I called it the soul. I anticipated all these moment because I have been suffering like them before...may be I know better what is poverty and war.

Your shots are, i don't know what to say. :)
Will definitely support if you happen to exhibit your work.

Thank you, it is in the pipeline... I hope ;)

Ulingan, Tondo - The life of Rickson, a Charcoal boy
When these photos were taken, Rickson was 13 year old and he worked the charcoal factory called Ulingan with his friends.
He has grown up a little but one thing never seemed to change. He still works the charcoal factory.
4910150013_f038f5d4db_b.jpg

4910142417_e1a984cf1b_b.jpg

Smoky Mountain, Tondo - The place we called home
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4886576786&amp;size=large" rel="nofollow">View On Black and in Large</a>
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Smokey Mountain is a large rubbish dump in Manila, Philippines. Consisting of over two million tonnes of waste, it has operated for more than 40 years and is known for decomposing at such high temperatures that it will catch fire, a fact from which the location derives its name. Indeed, fires at Smokey Mountain have caused many deaths.
Smokey Mountain has a large squatter community, and it is estimated that 30,000 people live near the site, and make their living from picking through the rubbish at Smokey Mountain. In 1993, a joint venture agreement between the National Housing Authority (NHA) and R-II Builders Inc. (RBI) was made to build a low-cost housing project at Smokey Mountain. On 15 August 2007, this agreement was declared valid by the Philippine Supreme Court..
Projects have been enforced by the Government and non-government organizations to allow urban resettlement sites for the slum dwellers. According to a UN-Habitat report, over 20 million people in the Philippines live in slums, and in the city of Manila alone, 50% of the over 11 million inhabitants live in slum areas.

4886576786_b5c2d46f6a_b.jpg

Smoky Mountain, Tondo - Scavenging before the approaching storm
This boy is about 12 to 13 years old, took this shot while making my way into Smoky mountain. While most kids are attending school, this kid is at Tondo sorting out the rubbish he has scavenge for the day. Plastic into one bag, metal to another etc.
1 kg of plastic is worth probably about 5 to 8 peso while metal is 8 peso to 10 peso.
Life is tough there so is this kid.
4886574288_93a061c3e4_b.jpg

I remember the first time I visited new Smoky Mountain was in 2000.
Every year (in fact almost every month) the 'mountain' of garbage shifts from one place to another within the dump site.
This was taken in 2008. Recently, the dump site is out of bound to outsiders. I am not sure why, but certainly I am applying for a permit to re-visit this place from the City council.
4930814386_dc179af3c1_b.jpg

A friend asked me today if I could take photos of happy children?
Of coz, in fact I have many of them. But, I took them without posing. I think that is the challenge. You can see that their cuteness are so natural and flow from their innocent hearts.
These are the tough and forever happy children of Smoky Mountain.
4926114427_a545fd98c8_b.jpg

Children of Ulingan (Charcoal Factory), Manila - Fun can be at the most hazardous environment and condition

No matter how hazardous is the environment, children need to play and have fun. It is a growing up process. Child laborers and street children are often street smart and resilience to the tough environment. They are creative and adventurous.
I remember few years back I watched a UN's DVD entitled &quot;No Time For Play&quot;. It examines the plight of Filipino working children and looks at what is being done to help them. In social work we recognize how important 'play' is to the growing up children. Play helps them to have that natural problem solving skills that are much needed in the hostile world. They may not be great scientist, politician or business man but certainly they are great survivals and could anticipate danger better than anyone of us.
If they were given and motivated in an education, I am sure they will excel! I hope all the countries could recognize the rights of these children.
One Canadian organization categorizes children's rights into three categories:
* Provision:
Children have the right to an adequate standard of living, health care, education and services, and to play. These include a balanced diet, a warm bed to sleep in, and access to schooling.
* Protection:
Children have the right to protection from abuse, neglect, exploitation and discrimination. This includes the right to safe places for children to play; constructive child rearing behavior, and acknowledgment of the evolving capacities of children.
* Participation:
Children have the right to participate in communities and have programs and services for themselves. This includes children's involvement in libraries and community programs, youth voice activities, and involving children as decision-makers

4899691444_fd4c0e53e0_b.jpg

Ulingan, Tondo - I am Tom and he is Jerry. We are Tom and Jerry!
Jerry is 12 year old and he like to tell his friends that I am Tom and he is Jerry. For all 3 days during my visit to Smoky Mountain, he was there for me.
On the third day, I decided just to take photos of him without him really knowing.
I want to know why Jerry is always so happy despite the hardships. Thus, I followed him (actually he hold my hand wherever I went) and knew his friend, knew why he picked up little left over charcoals, etc.
I learned later that Jerry also acted in a minor role in the up and coming short film &quot;Happy Land&quot; directed by Jim Libiran.
4897966204_abb530c0e3_b.jpg

Ulingan, Tondo, Manila - The Approaching Typhoon Esther
Ulingan (charcoal factory) was established in 1999 by KA DOMENG and his family members. They came to Manila to seek better work opportunities. Residents in Ulingan run their own charcoal business. It is family business that has enabled them to support themselves and sending their children to school. The many families work side by side of each other and a charcoal community was established. There is even a day care centre within the community and I must say they are the kindness people that I know. Through years of engaging them, I have known many of the residents by names there. It is not easy to 'hide' myself as inches into Ulingan, I would hear children shouting for &quot;Tom! Tom!&quot; :)
When I last visited Ulingan a week ago, I experienced the approaching typhoon. The people hurried and prepared themselves from the storm. However, there is no fear of sadness in their faces. This is typical Pinoy character that I admired. They are always so resilience and strong.
I hope the soon completing community hall/ church/ shelter would benefit the children. We named the building Beautiful Temple and hope to give them hope in the hazardous environment.
I will update you on the local champion who would be running the centre soon. Please pray for us.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4885981291_18e452c085_b.jpg
4885981291_18e452c085_b.jpg

Aroma compound, Tondo, Manila - Basketball game after the storm
This is the only basketball court in the temporary housing called Aroma. The housing is particularly famous for its distinct smell. It comprises of many deserted warehouses ‘transformed’ by the Philippine government into so-called livable housing units.
4891929321_495ff3d538_b.jpg