Minolta Lenses on LA-EA4

naheuy

Apr 30, 2010
Seagull
www.facebook.com
Hi people, long time no see!

Anyways, I have a slight issue when I use the LA-EA4 (with the A7), especially since I almost-exclusively use minolta lenses. I realised that sometimes although the AF may be quite fast, there are some shots that come out to be mis-focused even though the body locks the focus. This is a very inconsistent result so it's most probably not due to lens alignment as it also affects a few of my lenses (namely for example the 17-25mm 2.8-4 D, and the beercan)

Has anyone encountered this before? Please do pray tell that it could be a nature of autofocus on a non-native mount :bsmilie:

Hi people, long time no see! Anyways, I have a slight issue when I use the LA-EA4 (with the A7), especially since I almost-exclusively use minolta lenses. I realised that sometimes although the AF may be quite fast, there are some shots that come out to be mis-focused even though the body locks the focus. This is a very inconsistent result so it's most probably not due to lens alignment as it also affects a few of my lenses (namely for example the 17-25mm 2.8-4 D, and the beercan) Has anyone encountered this before? Please do pray tell that it could be a nature of autofocus on a non-native mount :bsmilie:

No problem on mine with beer can. AF spot on, pin sharp corner to corner when stop down. Good sharpness when wide open

I dont have wide lenses other than 28-135 which seem ok when use on A7r plus Laea4 same on my minolta 50/1.4.

But i do have Sony 16-35/2.8 which works well also when paired with laea4

One thing i notice with laea4 is that when you are composing your shot the lens is always set to widest aperture only time it will close the iris to the correct aperture setting is when you press the shutter button. Kinda weird coz you cant see the actual effect from lcd or live view during composition.

I dont have wide lenses other than 28-135 which seem ok when use on A7r plus Laea4 same on my minolta 50/1.4.

But i do have Sony 16-35/2.8 which works well also when paired with laea4

One thing i notice with laea4 is that when you are composing your shot the lens is always set to widest aperture only time it will close the iris to the correct aperture setting is when you press the shutter button. Kinda weird coz you cant see the actual effect from lcd or live view during composition.

The video below from Gary Friedman will explain why.
There are advantages and disadvantages in both focusing wide open or focusing at the set aperture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlBWL_UVUS8

The video below from Gary Friedman will explain why.
There are advantages and disadvantages in both focusing wide open or focusing at the set aperture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlBWL_UVUS8

thanks ^_^ just that weird coz for example you're shooting at smaller aperture you wont see the actual effect via LV it's not a huge issue after using range finder like Leica where you wont see the final outcome until you review the photos.

Is there any preview button to stop down the aperture on the A7x camera like in the DSLRs? Sorry I have still not upgraded to the A7x series...even though I have been eyeing them for quite a while. haha.

Good to see naheuy and albertri here after a loooong absence from CS ;-)

Last edited:
Is there any preview button to stop down the aperture on the A7x camera like in the DSLRs? Sorry I have still not upgraded to the A7x series...even though I have been eyeing them for quite a while. haha. Good to see naheuy and albertri here after a loooong absence from CS ;-)

Hi bro, long time absent indeed. Nope, no such button. The LA-EA4 makes my A7r into a Franken-SLT but it doesn't have that feature either

Haha thanks. What a pity. How's the performance of the Minolta lenses with the LA-EA4? Acceptable AF speed comparable to A850?

Saw quite a few people selling off their LA-EA4 adaptor. Is it really that bad a combi to use the A7x with the A- mount lenses, especially the older ones?

Last edited:
Haha thanks. What a pity. How's the performance of the Minolta lenses with the LA-EA4? Acceptable AF speed comparable to A850?

Saw quite a few people selling off their LA-EA4 adaptor. Is it really that bad a combi to use the A7x with the A- mount lenses, especially the older ones?

I've used it mainly for video with Min AF 20-35 and Min AF 28-85. AF is ok but I didn't test it in low light condition. It can focus well without hunting in indoor shots with relatively good lighting.

I think for my A7r it is useful add on feature.

For me, i get occasions where it locked on (across different lenses) but when i went home to review the shots, they were slightly off. I've experimented with FE lenses and I don't get this though...