Minolta 17-35

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl

Apr 7, 2002
Visit site
seems that many prefer other 3rd party lens to the minolta 17-35... how come har? The minolta lens not gd?

Originally posted by stl
seems that many prefer other 3rd party lens to the minolta 17-35... how come har? The minolta lens not gd?

a lot of people think if they don't need to print 8R , they don't need a pro lens. They believe 3rd party lens is good enough for 4R.

so how's the minolta lens compared to 3rd party? how's the price also?

when I set out to buy a 17-35, I checked with Minolta. they quoted the f3.5 G at $3300. When I checked Sigma's f2.8, it was $780.
The debate ended right there for me.

I've used the sigma only a couple of times, no complaint so far.

Jimmy

I think it is a f2.8-4.0 right? $780 won't buy u a wide-angle at f2.8. The Minolta has a large constant aperture, that's probably why the price is so high.

Originally posted by TME
I think it is a f2.8-4.0 right? $780 won't buy u a wide-angle at f2.8. The Minolta has a large constant aperture, that's probably why the price is so high.

Absolutely correct: it's an f2.8-4.0.

Originally posted by jyewhin

Absolutely correct: it's an f2.8-4.0.

I've been eyeing it for a while now. Almost a year and half already.

when I set out to buy a 17-35, I checked with Minolta. they quoted the f3.5 G at $3300. When I checked Sigma's f2.8, it was $780.
The debate ended right there for me.

I've used the sigma only a couple of times, no complaint so far.

Jimmy

with the $3300, i can get a few 3rd party lens... and it doesn't means that 3rd party lens can't get 8R sharp print... i'm using 80-200 F2.8, 17mm(2nd hand) and 20-35mm(2nd hand) and a 50mm f1.7 Minolta lens... all of them give me good 12R prints.... or even up to 20" print... still as sharp...

it's all a matter of balancing your needs and your $$.
$3.3 K is a lot of dough.
It would have been nice to have a constant f2.8, but did I really need it? Did not think so.

correct me if I'm wrong, but the 17-35 has a largest aperture of f/3.5, not 2.8...

Originally posted by munfai
correct me if I'm wrong, but the 17-35 has a largest aperture of f/3.5, not 2.8...

U are referring to jyewhin's reference of constant f2.8 is it on the Minolta 17-35?

my point is that 3.3k will get you a constant aperture of f3.5, not f2.8.

What I meant is: do I need a constant aperture of 3.5 ?
Point is: the sigma 2.8-4 will do fine and as I said, 3.3 K is
a lot of money to spend on one piece of glass.

What I meant is: do I need a constant aperture of 3.5 ?
Point is: the sigma 2.8-4 will do fine and as I said, 3.3 K is
a lot of money to spend on one piece of glass.

U'll never catch me spending that kind of money on cameras......:D I'll freak out first!

... do I need a constant aperture of 3.5 ? ...

I LOVE constant apertures!!! ;p

All my lenses are constant f/2.8, with the exception of the 50mm at f/1.4

My reason: I like bright viewfinders!!! And blurred backgrounds, and low-light shooting...

Also with constant aperture you can zoom in/out without worrying about your shutter speed changing.

absolutely agree with you. I'd love to have a bunch of constant 2.8 also. I just can't afford them ...

Originally posted by munfai

I LOVE constant apertures!!! ;p

All my lenses are constant f/2.8, with the exception of the 50mm at f/1.4

My reason: I like bright viewfinders!!! And blurred backgrounds, and low-light shooting...

Also with constant aperture you can zoom in/out without worrying about your shutter speed changing.

So may I have permission to burgle your house for all those constant aperture lens?!! :D

Originally posted by TME

So may I have permission to burgle your house for all those constant aperture lens?!! :D

of course!!! you're welcome!!!

visit me at:
391 New Bridge Road
CID Tower, Block C
Police Cantonment Complex
Singapore 088762

my doors are open 24x7...

Status
Not open for further replies.