Mini-Review - Canon EF70-200mm f/4L Lens Mug

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
The much rave about Lens Mug from Canon, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L Lens Mug.

Since the announcement of the lens mug, there have been an uproar on enquires on how one can obtain the lens mug from Canon, and I’m glad to be able to get my hands on one.

The Lens mug was first given out by Canon in the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games 2010.

4713827513_aca1b9a935.jpg

The Lens Mug looks exactly the same as the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L lens.

The outer side of the lens mug is made of plastic and the zoom/focus ring are made of rubber.

The engravings are exactly the same as how it appears on the real lens, but sadly, the buttons on the lens are left out.

4713827747_348cf76ac0.jpg

4714468522_6dbc441c8b.jpg

4713828743_da895f3569.jpg

4714469396_5542e6b0cd.jpg

The top of the lens is made of Stainless steel as well as the interior of the lens mug, to hold your hot coffees.

4714468982_580fa6c37c.jpg

The front cap features the pinch style as in all Canon lens, but it does not ‘pinch’ instead, you can just pull the lens cap off directly.

There is a sliding gap for you to sip your hot coffee as well.

4713828231_234bd6708e.jpg

It features a non-removable rear lens cap with the engraving of ‘Series 1 Collectible’

4713829179_060e07dde3.jpg

Many of you must be wondering how you can obtain the lens mug.

As Canon outsourced the manufacturing of the lens mug to China, there have been a huge amount of such mugs lurking around at ebay.

Some might be the original ones that are given out at Vancouver, while some could just be replicas of the lens mug.

There are some ‘upgraded’ versions of the lens mug as well, where the rear lens cap is removable and you can actually mount the lens on your Canon EOS DSLRs.

Originally Posted HERE

Last edited:
The engravings are exactly the same as how it appears on the real lens, but sadly, the buttons on the lens are left out

Here is my 70-200/f2.8 lens vs 70-200/f4 mug and 16-35/f2.8 lens vs 24-104/f4 mug
mugs.jpg

Mine has the 2 switches and rear lens cap

Last edited:
ok thanks :) I just saw a post yesterday about someone getting substandard mugs from ebay

Mine has the 2 switches and rear lens cap

According to HERE

There are no buttons as well.
As for the 24-105, I'm not sure on how legit is it, as there was not reliable source on the release of it, and it does not have the stainless steel interior featured in the 70-200.
Will the hot coffee melt the plastic?

well, i am not going to use the mugs for drinking anyway, i am giving them away to friends as gift

BTW, the article never state that the mugs in the review were obtained from Vancouver Winter Olympics

Last edited:
well, i am not going to use the mugs for drinking anyway, i am giving them away to friends as gift

BTW, the article never state that the mugs in the review were obtained from Vancouver Winter Olympics

They probably weren't obtained from the Winter Olympics. Canon Canada commissioned the manufacture of the mugs as a swag for the media attending the Games. I would think perhaps only a small number were initially made for the occasion.

However, there were many requests for Canon Canada to make more and sell to the public, which they obliged. Hence it is probably from a later batch. I would expect it to be genuine and identical to the initial batch. Beware of many 'chiong' versions on eBay now as the opportunists try to cash in on the huge demand.

I understand that the 24-105 is a legitimate offering in Japan, but then those may have been imitated as well.

As for safety, I would feel safe drinking from one if it's a genuine Canon Canada offering. I would think a MNC like Canon will comply with all applicable safety laws of Canada. This is a real concern as there are many discoveries of chemicals in plastic leaching out into drink after being subjected to high temperature. But for the 'chiong' ones, I don't think those opportunists care one bit about people's health or complying with safety laws. They make the $ on it today and move on to cash in on the next craze.

Last edited:
The mugs were from the 2nd batch and last batched commissioned by canon canada as a promotion for their online store. They have since suspended the official commission so what ever stock left will soon trickle out.

I got them too...

Looking at the quality, i think they work better as some stationary holder...

anyone doing MO for this? LOL PM leh i want hahaha

IsenGrim - i think memorylink do some MO btw i am quite sure these are not from canada direct it shld be make in china

The mugs were from the 2nd batch and last batched commissioned by canon canada as a promotion for their online store. They have since suspended the official commission so what ever stock left will soon trickle out.

Last edited:
I am 100% sure these are the same mugs Canon Canada was giving away. But you’re right to say it’s made in china (what isn’t these days :p).