mini fridge to store films?

sinned79 said:
can someone advise me if i get this... will the LED light from the wine chiller harm the films (my films will be stored in either the cartridge or in box)?
12-Bottle Wine Chiller by Mowe at $128 (Worth $199)

Wha so cheap!

Anybody wants my fridge let me know. Can store film and chill your chemicals. Exchange with 5 rolls of B&W film

ff842f2c.jpg

Wha so cheap!

Anybody wants my fridge let me know. Can store film and chill your chemicals. Exchange with 5 rolls of B&W film

ff842f2c.jpg

i saw the wine chiller nedy77 bought for $86 at carrefour last night. looks good think i will get that once i clear up my room.

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying this type of mini fridge
jy15ad_01_lrg.jpg
to store my film... but not sure if its cold enough to have good storage effects.

any advise?

Don't buy these type. I used before to store my film.

It was ok for the first few months.

Then it starts to leak water.

Threw away the thing.

Wha so cheap!

ff842f2c.jpg

I still have 5 rolls of lucky shd left

just kidding :bsmilie:

i saw the wine chiller nedy77 bought for $86 at carrefour last night. looks good think i will get that once i clear up my room.

Actually I got it at $86 less 10% off with the posb everyday MasterCard

You should have seen the signage while you were are Carrefour yesterday? 10% off store wide

That's quite a good bargain :)

Actually I got it at $86 less 10% off with the posb everyday MasterCard

You should have seen the signage while you were are Carrefour yesterday? 10% off store wide

That's quite a good bargain :)

haha i dun have the card... :|

sinned79 said:
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying this type of mini fridge to store my film... but not sure if its cold enough to have good storage effects.

any advise?

It depends on your intention to store your films. Is it to modulate deterioration due to local climatic condition(mainly temperature), prolong film life and/or freeze film deterioration. If it is the latter, then you would need a freezer as oppose to just a fridge. When I was shooting films in the old days (now I just shoot digital), I kept all my unused films, both negative and slide films in a freezer to stop chemical reaction altogether or close to altogether as I usually bought them in batches and expose one to establish it's color shift then frozen the rest in freezer only to be taken out the night before use to let them reach room temperature overnight. So the top half of my freezer door was always occupied by my films. A fridge is not cold enough to stop film chemical activities.

It depends on your intention to store your films. Is it to modulate deterioration due to local climatic condition(mainly temperature), prolong film life and/or freeze film deterioration. If it is the latter, then you would need a freezer as oppose to just a fridge. When I was shooting films in the old days (now I just shoot digital), I kept all my unused films, both negative and slide films in a freezer to stop chemical reaction altogether or close to altogether as I usually bought them in batches and expose one to establish it's color shift then frozen the rest in freezer only to be taken out the night before use to let them reach room temperature overnight. So the top half of my freezer door was always occupied by my films. A fridge is not cold enough to stop film chemical activities.

i will say... more for storing and modulating. currently I kept them in my dry cabinet but I think although its dry... but temperature not low enough.

sinned79 said:
i will say... more for storing and modulating. currently I kept them in my dry cabinet but I think although its dry... but temperature not low enough.

Yes dry cabinet temp is better than just in the open, here in the topics. Comsummer films are normally manufactured with a two years life span in its chemical formulation. Since the film will start to "deteriorate" immediately after packaging, it generally attained its "designed" formulation at midway in its life span. Well that is usually based on the assumed 15 degree C storage temperature. In our environment, they reach this stage much, much earlier. My experienced is that freshly manufactured films generally are a little cooler in color temp and towards the end of the "lifespan" tends towards warmer color temp. By freezing them I was able to maintain the temp cooler and adjust for these during processing/printing as I knew they were cooler. Dryness play no part in this method of storage as these films were stored in their sealed canister/vacuum pack and also thawed them the same way, completely sealed, so any dampness did not get to contact the films. It is very important to thaw them sealed in their vacuum container in our humid environment, as condensation will take place & wet your film otherwise. Since films are hard to come by these days and also expensive, I assume that you would buy them in bulk from overseas and maybe freeze them to use over extended period. I alway use and still use twin door GE fridge where one half is a freezer, so the door of the freezer can actually stored quite a lot of films for me, then. Well actually, my first fridge was an ACMA with a freezer at the top and the entire door shelves were used then for my films.

I am rather new to this storing film in fridge/freezer thingy, coz i usually buy and shoot when i need to.

Do you guys really literally FREEZE the film?
Dont want to spend much on another small storage so will normal fridge do right?

zeehamzah said:
I am rather new to this storing film in fridge/freezer thingy, coz i usually buy and shoot when i need to.

Do you guys really literally FREEZE the film?
Dont want to spend much on another small storage so will normal fridge do right?

What you are doing is fine. No need to invest in freezer to store a couple of film canisters. Just shoot and enjoy your photography. Any minor color shift due to film aging within its shelf life can easily be compensated during printing. These days with computer color analysis, lots of "magic" can take place even without the need for us have to learn how it is done. Storage is for those who buy in bulk and use these over time. Just remember that should,you choose to store you film in the fridge, do not move them from their original packing as the fridge is very humid.

Yes dry cabinet temp is better than just in the open, here in the topics. Comsummer films are normally manufactured with a two years life span in its chemical formulation. Since the film will start to "deteriorate" immediately after packaging, it generally attained its "designed" formulation at midway in its life span. Well that is usually based on the assumed 15 degree C storage temperature. In our environment, they reach this stage much, much earlier. My experienced is that freshly manufactured films generally are a little cooler in color temp and towards the end of the "lifespan" tends towards warmer color temp. By freezing them I was able to maintain the temp cooler and adjust for these during processing/printing as I knew they were cooler. Dryness play no part in this method of storage as these films were stored in their sealed canister/vacuum pack and also thawed them the same way, completely sealed, so any dampness did not get to contact the films. It is very important to thaw them sealed in their vacuum container in our humid environment, as condensation will take place & wet your film otherwise. Since films are hard to come by these days and also expensive, I assume that you would buy them in bulk from overseas and maybe freeze them to use over extended period. I alway use and still use twin door GE fridge where one half is a freezer, so the door of the freezer can actually stored quite a lot of films for me, then. Well actually, my first fridge was an ACMA with a freezer at the top and the entire door shelves were used then for my films.

thanks for the advise. if i am shooting mainly in b/w... as compared to colored film... even though it may be expired... shouldn't be too off right?

anyway i do have a 2 door fridge but fully utilised by my mum... hence no choice, i gotta get myself a small fridge or wine chiller to store my films.

sinned79 said:
thanks for the advise. if i am shooting mainly in b/w... as compared to colored film... even though it may be expired... shouldn't be too off right?

anyway i do have a 2 door fridge but fully utilised by my mum... hence no choice, i gotta get myself a small fridge or wine chiller to store my films.

Sorry mate,

Not so familiar with B&W film as the only time I shoot in B&W was before the popularity of color. However, as with any chemical, there would be some reaction over time/temperature combo. Probably less so that color films.

time to buy my wine chiller to store my films!

my colleague just helped me to bring back my films from USA!

615339_10150977217447523_1915911546_o.jpg