Min. Shutter Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuji Olykon

Nov 19, 2004
East, Macpherson
Though it all depend on indivdual holding skill but by sing 35mm Camera minimum shutter speed rule of thumb, the minnimum speed should not be slower than the reciprocal of the focal length. May I know how does this apply to Digital Photography? For example a lens @ 100mm focal length in 35mm film camera is actually 150mm on a DSLR (taking into consideration of 1.5x factor). Hence, should the minimum shutter speed be 1/125 or 1/250 for the DSLR? :dunno:

When it comes to tele lens, I tend to be more conservative in the calculation of shutter speed especially when hand holding. With the crop factor coming in play, it would be wiser to go for higher shutter speed; pumping ISO if possible and necessary.

The another thing to note is when you are using tele especially 300mm and above the slightest hand movement with issue a different composition. Without using support aids like monopod or tripod, hand holding can be very tiring. IS and VR technology can be useful but is no replacement for the presence of good strong light.

The other factor to consider is the speed of the subject and the interpretation you wish to give it... 1/125 and 1/250 can yield very different pictures.

actually is the same as the old method
when u are using 100m, ur pic is still at 100mm.
only that the pic is cropped by the 1.5x factor.

so 1/100 is still ok :)

Just my 2 cent :p

Status
Not open for further replies.