Microsoft RAW Image Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Fresh out of the box the standard Windows installation is not only pretty unsafe (or rather risky to use) but also unable to display RAW images and the EXIF information. Tools like Irfanview help as fast viewer and the EXIF data are quickly viewed just by hitting I and E.
Microsoft has small selection of PowerToys for Windows XP where a RAW viewer is listed. This will enable display of EXIF data of RAW files in Explorer in the same way as for JPG files. It can also serve as default viewer for such files, loading faster than the usual camera tools or even PS.

:confused:
Fresh out of the box the standard Windows installation is not only pretty unsafe (or rather risky to use) but also unable to display RAW images and the EXIF information. Tools like Irfanview help as fast viewer and the EXIF data are quickly viewed just by hitting I and E.
Microsoft has small selection of PowerToys for Windows XP where a RAW viewer is listed. This will enable display of EXIF data of RAW files in Explorer in the same way as for JPG files. It can also serve as default viewer for such files, loading faster than the usual camera tools or even PS.

Hey Octarine, thanks for sharing. btw, u were mentioning which software fresh from box is unsafe? Windows XP, irfanview or powertoys? :confused:

The Windows Raw Image Viewer if I remember correctly only supports up to Canon 5D and Nikon D200 cameras. Newer cameras like the 40D are not supported so it isn't that useful as a RAW viewer program.

This is a good one from MS (Though it uses the codecs from respective manufacturers). I'm quite happy with the performance and speed so far!

Hey Octarine, thanks for sharing. btw, u were mentioning which software fresh from box is unsafe? Windows XP, irfanview or powertoys? :confused:

I thought it's clear: Windows has a reputation for being terrible unsafe when freshly installed from CD. It needs hundreds of MB in downloaded Service Packs and patches to make it usable in a safe way.

I thought it's clear: Windows has a reputation for being terrible unsafe when freshly installed from CD. It needs hundreds of MB in downloaded Service Packs and patches to make it usable in a safe way.

Not a complete or accurate statement.

First, if you are installing Windows XP (the original) from a cd/dvd then you are installing software that was releasd in 2001. It works fine on its own, but to be practical, don't expect it to work with anything that has been released SINCE 2001. There have been 3 major upgrades to XP (service packs) and yes you should install them to have the best change of using current hardware/software.

The XP platform will be retired soon. the root core (kernal) is, by todays standards, unstable, and vunerable.

If you don't think this is a fair assessment, then look here for more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

Guess by "unsafe", he means it is "Vulnerable", not that it cannot run properly or contains rogue code or Trojan etc..

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.