Metz or Canon 550ex on 1D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan109

Oct 29, 2002
www.pbase.com
Those of you who used either the Canon or the Metz MZ-3 flash before, please give me your feedback and why you choose it.

Can I attach an external batt pack to the Metz?

Hmm..because there's no pop up flash on the 1D? :D

In any case, I'm using the 550EX and it's quite good. More importanly, I can use the ST-E2 to trigger it as a slave flash when necessary. Back then, I believe there wasn't a wireless Sigma option yet.

Cheers,

benny said:
Hmm..because there's no pop up flash on the 1D? :D

In any case, I'm using the 550EX and it's quite good. More importanly, I can use the ST-E2 to trigger it as a slave flash when necessary. Back then, I believe there wasn't a wireless Sigma option yet.

Cheers,

You can use ST-E2 or 550EX to trigger a Sigma 500DG... tested.

oeyvind said:
You can use ST-E2 or 550EX to trigger a Sigma 500DG... tested.

Yup. Know that now.

But back then, there wasn't a Sigma 500DG. It was something else I believe.

Also, I prefer the build quality of Canon's flashes over Sigma's flashes.

Cheers,

benny said:
Yup. Know that now.

But back then, there wasn't a Sigma 500DG. It was something else I believe.

Also, I prefer the build quality of Canon's flashes over Sigma's flashes.

Cheers,
OT abit...If there is one thing I hate about Canon's flashes, especially the 550EX, its the plastic hotshoe mount. :thumbsd: Couldn't they come out with metal hotshoe mount and something like Nikon's locking lever for their Speedlight flashes, just slide the flash in, flick the lever and it's locked secure.

Garion said:
OT abit...If there is one thing I hate about Canon's flashes, especially the 550EX, its the plastic hotshoe mount. :thumbsd: Couldn't they come out with metal hotshoe mount and something like Nikon's locking lever for their Speedlight flashes, just slide the flash in, flick the lever and it's locked secure.

switch camp lor... :devil:

actually locking lever can also mean that its equally easy to flick to dismount ie more prone to " accidentally drop the flash from the body"

Erm, one possible reason I can think off why the flash doesn't have a metal mount is that to prevent accidental short-circuiting on the mount contacts? Anyway, I've not seen anyone complaining the mount breaking with normal handling...

Nah! Its plastic so that you can break it and get it repaired easily. Heck! Its even designed to be easily replaced. :devil:

Same thing with the $90 extension cord, it even has cutouts to help it break.
:D

I also love the metal mount on Nikon SB50DX/SB80DX and later flash. The SB80DX that I used to have slides into the hotshoe easy and the lock is fast and really secures the flash well. Over several months of usage, there's was no accidental flick of the lock. Feel that all flash makers should adopt the same mount.

back to the original question. The Metz 54-MZ3 offers some features (secondary reflector, automatic modes) not available on Canon 550EX and is cheaper but heavier. don't really know how useful those would be on a 1D but automatic modes (using flash sensor on the flash vs TTL) could be at times more accurate than TTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.