Menado Trip Sept 2010

Knighthunter

Sep 13, 2002
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
It's quite disappointing trip viz in Bunaken area is about 10 m only due to heavy rain every day and Lembeh viz is only 5 m but the resort we stay was fantastic both in on land and underwater.

MNDCCT186 by Thedi David, on Flickr

MNDCCT390 by Thedi David, on Flickr

MNDCCT403 by Thedi David, on Flickr

And my favorite creature, coconut octopus on cockle shell.....

MNDCCT339 by Thedi David, on Flickr

MNDCCT342 by Thedi David, on Flickr

Nice! Favourites: emperor shrimp, "close-up" of the coconut octopus (still on my wish-list too...). The composition of the turtle shot is very good, really like the photo, it has a "zen" feeling - the way the turtle rests on the coral with its head sort of facing the sun but imho need to change the white-balance? :p

I really amazed and fall in love with that coconut octopus because it really mimic a clam, if we got too close or touch it it closed both shells tightly.
Viz really not good at Lekuan dive site and I only have one flash so WB is bit out but I still prefer it uncorrected since if I correct it it will expose scatters.

My wife also excited to see this turtle, we only saw turtle up close for the first time after more than 50 dives.

MNDCCT285 by Thedi David, on Flickr

hmm were you guys staying at La Rascasse?

nice shot of the turtle. agree with you on the value between Sipadan V Manado. i just got back from Padang Bai and it is even more value for money. Bali is served by more LCC and it is a 1 and half hour from the airport. of course at this time of year it is M and M (Mantas and Molas) season.

will post pictures later.

hmm were you guys staying at La Rascasse?

nice shot of the turtle. agree with you on the value between Sipadan V Manado. i just got back from Padang Bai and it is even more value for money. Bali is served by more LCC and it is a 1 and half hour from the airport. of course at this time of year it is M and M (Mantas and Molas) season.

will post pictures later.

Hi Decimal,
we stayed at Cocotinos next to Kima Bajo resort in North Sulawesi. Bali is definitely value for money even better than Menado. I was planning to Sipadan or Layang-layang last year but I can't believe the prices. Our next trip is to Bali again mid of November.

Hi Decimal,
we stayed at Cocotinos next to Kima Bajo resort in North Sulawesi. Bali is definitely value for money even better than Menado. I was planning to Sipadan or Layang-layang last year but I can't believe the prices. Our next trip is to Bali again mid of November.

wah Cocotinos is also mucho dineros. but i suppose you get what you pay for. one time i stayed at Sedona and last month at La Rascasse.

just came back from Padang Bai--Padang Bai Beach Bungalow--and enjoyed the diving. real value for money. well Manado IMO is hard to beat for macro especially Nudis. Bunaken is similar to Sipadan. Tulamben did not do anything for me. Alam Anda was good for seahorses. Seraya was memorable. Amed was good. but now top of my list is Padang Bai...going back next month to try my luck at Molas.sorry if this is OT.

what camera r u using?

Last edited:
wah Cocotinos is also mucho dineros. but i suppose you get what you pay for. one time i stayed at Sedona and last month at La Rascasse.

just came back from Padang Bai--Padang Bai Beach Bungalow--and enjoyed the diving. real value for money. sorry if this is OT.

what camera r u using?

I bought the package during Indonesia Dive Expo in March for 7 days stay in September. It's cheaper than Sedona. Hopefully next year they have the same promo, because I really like that resort.

I did dive safari last April from Padang Bay and Tulamben with Bali Scuba, it was really great value but I didn't like the resort they use Paradise Tulamben. So, on Nov I am going to Tualmben area only and stay in Mimpi resort like last year.

I am using EOS 500D with 100mm IS and Tokina 10-17FE for WA and YS-110a

No OT lor...it's still about underwater ;)

I bought the package during Indonesia Dive Expo in March for 7 days stay in September. It's cheaper than Sedona. Hopefully next year they have the same promo, because I really like that resort.

I did dive safari last April from Padang Bay and Tulamben with Bali Scuba, it was really great value but I didn't like the resort they use Paradise Tulamben. So, on Nov I am going to Tualmben area only and stay in Mimpi resort like last year.

I am using EOS 500D with 100mm IS and Tokina 10-17FE for WA and YS-110a

No OT lor...it's still about underwater ;)

ok at the Expo..cuz when they quoted me recently, i almost fainted. thats why i stayed at La Rascasse.

but i suppose Sipadan has to be dived once just to see what the hype is all about. i stayed at SWV but i would recomm Kapalai resort cuz both give unlimited shore dives and Kapalai has a lot of critters in their house reef.

so a DSLR eh? i am kinda leaning that way cuz i have a 450 and a 550 my sons are also into photography but terra firma kind. but the heft of all the equip made me think again.

i am using an Oly E-PL1 with its casing, slightly less heft. but just a little less.

i like La Rascasse... will go back there...

was at kapalai during the national day weekends... not had a great experience... i think they are understaff or have poor attitude... anyway...

yes La Rascasse hit the right spot for me. met Hendra Tan-a contributor to Dive Asia--and tagged along for 2 of his dives and saw a pro at work.

Kapalai? oops there goes the plan...but did u find a lot of critters at their house reef? unlimited shore dives ? understaffed eh? that's not good. i did notice there were a lot of pax at kapalai compared to SWV. i was there for 2 dives at their housereef and saw this..

IMG_8154.jpg

what about their dive center? enough space to hang things/shower/charge batt/coffee & tea?

SWV is very lux where dive centers are concerned. cannot complain.

Last edited:
Wow flamboyant cuttle fish, we were searching for it when we was in Menado but it didn't get any luck. On the brochure SWV is look amazing.

Wow flamboyant cuttle fish, we were searching for it when we was in Menado but it didn't get any luck. On the brochure SWV is look amazing.

SWV is a great place to stay. best food at a resort that i have tasted. but...if you are into critters, Kapalai would be the one i pick. and second Seaventure...