megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
My Review on Ricoh Theta SC

ricoh_theta_sc_.jpg

Introduction
I started taking 360 VR in 2003. That time, I used a compact digital camera Canon A70 mounted on a customised pano head and tripod. To take a 360 VR, I got to take 86 shots at many angles. It also took a lot of effort to stitch up them together. Later in 2012, I changed to mirrorless camera, a fisheye lens, pano head and tripod. I just need 6 shots to get a 360 VR. Now With Ricoh Theta SC, only 1 shot is needed for 1 VR handheld. It's that easy. It is very compact as I could even carry it in my pocket everyday and really have fun to play with it.

Basic Specifications
Please refer to their official site as shown below
https://theta360.com/en/about/theta/sc.html

Attachments

• $ricoh_theta_sc_.jpg
    $ricoh_theta_sc_.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 7
My First Impressions of RICOH THETA SC

Image Quality
The quality is rather good with details. From the original 360 photo, you can zoom in to see more details especially using the Theta App. So far I barely see any stitching overlap issue in the VR. The color is accurate and natural.

Battery Life
I tested it out on a whole day event, I could take up to 50 shots without any issue. However, when transferring photos back to mobile, it may drain a lot of power. I did not test out on 360 video.

Hands-On
As taking 360 VR, all handheld shots will include myself. To exclude myself in the photo, the only way is to hide myself nearby and trigger it remotely on the tripod or other flat platform. The WIFI remote distance is kind of short distance, about 3m. The other alternate way is to set longer timer mode.

Ricoh Theta SC responds quite fast and I could turn it on and snap a candid shot for less than a few seconds. I find it is useful for documentary purpose, family and scenery photography.

I find the shutter sound is kind of annoying. There is no way to turn it off.

Wish-List
I hope Ricoh can improve the app to remove or mask out the owner in the VR. I would like HDR feature to improve the exposure. Lastly to have an option to turn off the annoying shutter sound.

Conclusion
With Ricoh Theta SC, I will not miss any angle in the photo. I recommend it for family and travel photography.

I will post some VRs shortly.

Last edited:
megaweb,
any idea of the cost locally?