Meet up with Kristian Dowling in Singapore on January12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi kristian. Would like to join too :)

Now only shooting on the 13th, sorry to those wanting to shoot on the 12th also. I just don't have the time. I know the group seems large but I expect only 50-60% to actually show up.

On January 13, lets meet at 11am at MRT NE7 Station, also known as the Little India Station, finishing by 8pm as I have a meeting after. We will all be shooting as we like but the idea is to find places, stop for a while and shoot there. I have had a lot of email requests to help people and give instruction on photography and street. I will be more than happy to do so, and yes no strings attached and at no charge. This is a fun networking exercise only and not a commercial venture.

In terms of topics, I want to focus on light, and how to read it, both in terms of direction, source, shadows and metering. I will be happy to help people individually as you'll all be looking to improve in specific areas. I don't believe in general instruction so will do my best to get through all of you. No need to bring laptops as this is about the photographic experience and not post processing. Following the day lets post our results here.

On the equipment side of things, keep it simple. Don't bring all your equipment, that won't make you any better but it will give you a bad back! Heck if you want to shoot with the iPhone, bring it on, just keep the gear to a minimum and step out of your comfort zone of having everything you 'could' use. If you want to use a flash, try to bring an off-shoe cable for 'off-camera' flash. The less you think about the gear, the more you will think about the photographic process - SO DEFINITELY NO TRIPODS PLEASE. Results are important, but the process is what makes it fun.

So far, I have the following participants:
- Stagheart
- Jay Tan
- Tung Zhen Yuan
- craygc
- surrealdreamwalker
- benjanin5777
- revidia
- heshanfdo2010
- Nasiree +1
- Joe
- Derek Q
- Kamalkantsingh10
- spree86
- tinaklee88
- syncguy +1
- zcw123
- Nnodmax
- pluginbaby
- lli Ann
- Anocha
- Blackmafia
- EGoh
- sirswa

Please let me know if you're adding a plus 1 or more.

Last edited:
Hi, I'd love to join too!
Please count me in

Hey Kristian,

Sorry i'ld have to withdraw from this outing, something came up at work. Enjoy!

Thanks!

I've been speaking to some of you on the email and appreciate the entheusiasm. It'll be a fun day of getting to know everyone and I'm more than happy to share my knowledge and experiences with all of you, should you be bothered to hear it la ;)

My background stems from street photography and photojournalism though in recent years I've been working with actors and singers out of Hollywood. Really my passion is shooting in asia and specifically on the street. How about we start in Little India and work our way to Chinatown as the sun goes down?

I'd like to start around 11am so we can chit chat and shoot till around 1pm where we can stop for lunch (always love eating in Singapore). Bring fiends if you like but either way I'm sure we'll all be buddies by the end of the first 30 minutes :cool:

TOPIC OF THE DAY will be READING LIGHT and shooting in manual - how's that for a daily challenge?

You can add me on facebook first if you like. facebook.com/kristian.dowling

Any more ideas would be awesome

woah, walk all the way from little india to chinatown?? that's a little far you know!!??

your theme of the day is rather interesting! be sure to post up pictures after the gathering!!

Hi, just came across this note. Do u have space for one more. I will apply leave tomorrow in case if possible. Looking forward to learn from everyone
Especially Kristin.

Thanks

Hi, just came across this note. Do u have space for one more. I will apply leave tomorrow in case if possible. Looking forward to learn from everyone
Especially Kristin.

Thanks

Hello Jawong, I think the shoot is on 13th friday

Is that confirm? I have move the entire meeting from thur to fri lol. I am going to get beaten up by my colleagues. I was searching for the time n place to meet but could not find it probably I am not looking at the right place. Can anyone share with me. To re confirm again is this fri?

Jawong said:
Is that confirm? I have move the entire meeting from thur to fri lol. I am going to get beaten up by my colleagues. I was searching for the time n place to meet but could not find it probably I am not looking at the right place. Can anyone share with me. To re confirm again is this fri?

Yes, it's on Friday at 11am

Thanks for the confirmation. I was afraid of that lol. I can't move my meeting again. :-(
Anyway wish a bright n cooling Friday with lot of interesting light source. Current I am exploring just that metering different location to obtain a good exposure. Hey guys n gals n Kristian appreciate if u can share written notes of what you have learnt. Thanks.

Have fun...

Hi, I love to join too!
Please count me in

Thanks

Now only shooting on the 13th, sorry to those wanting to shoot on the 12th also. I just don't have the time. I know the group seems large but I expect only 50-60% to actually show up.

you probably may expect 90% turning up.
accountability is something expected of everyone here in cs.

Thanks coolthough
Is my fault for not reading the complete thread. Have a good outing

Jawong said:
Especially Kristin.

Thanks

Yes all can join no problem guys. We may not walk all the way from Little India to Chinatown if its too far.

Thanks coolthough
Is my fault for not reading the complete thread. Have a good outing

not trying to fault anyone here
I am just trying to let TS be prepared for a large group.
It will not be easy having a large group walkabout in a crowded location unless there is some sort of plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.