Meet up with Kristian Dowling in Singapore on January12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be there, just gimme a time and place.

Count me in too I'd love to join!

I am in. Street photography is what I always want to learn about.

should we set up a name list?

Kristian, it will be good to put down the timing and dates so that it will be easier for the rest to see if they are able to make it.

Im in if its a Friday evening. Thanks.

Ok, as I don't know Little India well, or at all, can someone pls name a specific location thats easy to find?

On January 13, lets meet at 11am at MRT NE7 Station, also known as the Little India Station, finishing by 8pm as I have a meeting after. We will all be shooting as we like but the idea is to find places, stop for a while and shoot there. I have had a lot of email requests to help people and give instruction on photography and street. I will be more than happy to do so, and yes no strings attached and at no charge. This is a fun networking exercise only and not a commerical venture.

In terms of topics, I want to focus on light, and how to read it, both in terms of direction, source, shadows and metering. I will be happy to help people individually as you'll all be looking to improve in specific areas. I don't believe in general instruction so will do my best to get through all of you. No need to bring laptops as this is about the photographic experience and not post processing. Following the day lets post our results here.

On the equipment side of things, keep it simple. Don't bring all your equipment, that won't make you any better but it will give you a bad back! Heck if you want to shoot with the iPhone, bring it on, just keep the gear to a minimum and step out of your comfort zone of having everything you 'could' use. If you want to use a flash, try to bring an off-shoe cable for 'off-camera' flash. The less you think about the gear, the more you will think about the photographic process - SO DEFINITELY NO TRIPODS PLEASE. Results are important, but the process is what makes it fun.

So far, I have the following participants:
- Jay Tan
- craygc
- surrealdreamwalker
- benjanin5777
- revidia
- heshanfdo2010
- Nasiree +1
- Joe
- Derek Q
- Kamalkantsingh10
- spree86
- simoneswa
- tinaklee88
- syncguy +1
- zcw123
- Nnodmax
- pluginbaby
- lli Ann
- Anocha
- Blackmafia
- EGoh
- sirswa

Please let me know if you're adding a plus 1 or more.

Last edited:
leicashot said:
Ok, as I don't know Little India well, or at all, can someone pls name a specific location thats easy to find?

Lets meet at 11am, finishing around 8pm as I have a meeting after. We will all be shooting as we like but the idea is to find places, stop for a while and shoot there. I have had a lot of email requests to help people and give instruction on photography and street. I will be more than happy to do so, and yes no strings attached and at no charge. This is a fun networking exercise only and not a commerical venture.

In terms of topics, I want to focus on light, and how to read it, both in terms of direction, source, shadows and metering. I will be happy to help people individually as you'll all be looking to improve in specific areas. I don't believe in general instruction so will do my best to get through all of you.

So far, I have the following participants:
- Nasiree +1
- Joe
- Derek Q
- Musthakhim
- Kamalkantsingh10
- spree86
- simoneswa
- tinaklee88
- syncguy
- zcw123
- Nnodmax
- pluginbaby
- lli Ann
- Anocha
- Blackmafia
- EGoh

Please let me know if you're adding a plus 1 or more.

Err... Hehee.... Syncguy = Musthakhim = Me.. :p

But it's ok coz my gf's coming along too! So make it Musthakhim +1.. Sorry!

Me too! Hope to learn some stuff from all you guys. Just started with a dslr recently :)

On January 13, lets meet at 11am, finishing by 8pm as I have a meeting after. We will all be shooting as we like but the idea is to find places, stop for a while and shoot there. I have had a lot of email requests to help people and give instruction on photography and street. I will be more than happy to do so, and yes no strings attached and at no charge. This is a fun networking exercise only and....

Hi Kristian,Since you do not know Little India well, let me suggest a meeting point and rough route for your 9 hours adventure on these Singapore Streets. A good place to meet up would be either the Zhujiao (Tekka) Centre or the MRT NE7 Station, also known as the Little India Station. In fact the MRT Station is probably better as you are unlikely to have another bunch of guys and dolls with camera hanging around there as the same time. From there you can walk along Buffalo Road to Serangoon Road heading towards the East. There are plenty of shops there for refreshments and to replenish calories. You can then finish the Little India shoot around the Farrer Park MRT Station, the NE8 Station and then take the train heading southwest to China Town, which is just 4 stations away.

My main concern is that your group would get very large by early Jan 2012. The crowd in Little India should still be Ok on Friday but in China Town, with the Luna New Year just round the corner then, it is likely to get very, very crowded for such a big group of photographers. I understand that you love to meet up with like minded people around the World and the more the merrier, but moving through a very crowded area with a large group may not be such a great idea. Since it is going to be a 9 hours shoot, hopefully, the group may frizzier out by the time you are in China Town as some may also have other issues to attend to. However, may I suggest that you fixed two timings and locations, say 11am at Little India MRT Station and may be 3/4pm at the china town MRT Station or the New Bridge Road entrance to People's Park Complex and some can just join you for the Little India shoot, some join later for the China town shoot, while others can stay with you for both, all the way from 11am to 8pm.

Just a suggestion to help keep the group manageable and neat. I would likely to join you and the group too but is not able to confirm 100% now due to other commitments. Just keep a slot for me, if possible, from 11am and I'll be able to confirm by 3/4 Jan 2012 one way or the other.

Welcome to Singapore and hopefully, by then the weather is much nicer than these couple of weeks.

hi there Kristian count me in too : )
Looking forward to meet and learn from you

Thanks New2digital. Sorry for my late reply. Getting internet here in East Java is an ordeal. That station is a great place to meet so lets do that. I am now thinking we should meet at 11am, and split the group if people don't mind. It may be difficult to do though. I didn't expect this many people, originally thinking a group of 4-8 would be ideal - haha, right.

If members have a preference for either Little India or Chinatown that would be great. I'd say the Chinatown segment will begin around 2-2:30pm, after lunch. What do people think? I'm kinda betting people would prefer to join all day, but that will be a challenge to manage....don't want police thinking we're gonna start a riot LOL.

Hi Kristian,Since you do not know Little India well, let me suggest a meeting point and rough route for your 9 hours adventure on these Singapore Streets. A good place to meet up would be either the Zhujiao (Tekka) Centre or the MRT NE7 Station, also known as the Little India Station. In fact the MRT Station is probably better as you are unlikely to have another bunch of guys and dolls with camera hanging around there as the same time. From there you can walk along Buffalo Road to Serangoon Road heading towards the East. There are plenty of shops there for refreshments and to replenish calories. You can then finish the Little India shoot around the Farrer Park MRT Station, the NE8 Station and then take the train heading southwest to China Town, which is just 4 stations away.

My main concern is that your group would get very large by early Jan 2012. The crowd in Little India should still be Ok on Friday but in China Town, with the Luna New Year just round the corner then, it is likely to get very, very crowded for such a big group of photographers. I understand that you love to meet up with like minded people around the World and the more the merrier, but moving through a very crowded area with a large group may not be such a great idea. Since it is going to be a 9 hours shoot, hopefully, the group may frizzier out by the time you are in China Town as some may also have other issues to attend to. However, may I suggest that you fixed two timings and locations, say 11am at Little India MRT Station and may be 3/4pm at the china town MRT Station or the New Bridge Road entrance to People's Park Complex and some can just join you for the Little India shoot, some join later for the China town shoot, while others can stay with you for both, all the way from 11am to 8pm.

Just a suggestion to help keep the group manageable and neat. I would likely to join you and the group too but is not able to confirm 100% now due to other commitments. Just keep a slot for me, if possible, from 11am and I'll be able to confirm by 3/4 Jan 2012 one way or the other.

Welcome to Singapore and hopefully, by then the weather is much nicer than these couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Hi Kristian.

I am interested, and will take 2 days leave from work to shoot with you on both days :)

Hi Kristian,

Don’t leave me out…I would like to join too..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.